Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How is the state of this game now?

Hi all, I stopped playing SWTOR shortly before the LFG system was implemented. I'm thinking about coming back to play again (I always liked the game, just ran out of time to play) and was curious what the state of the game is now. I know it is going F2P soon, but what about population, content, etc?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeeus View Post
    Hi all, I stopped playing SWTOR shortly before the LFG system was implemented. I'm thinking about coming back to play again (I always liked the game, just ran out of time to play) and was curious what the state of the game is now. I know it is going F2P soon, but what about population, content, etc?

Thanks!
    It is online now as free, the population was horrible and will take some time to fill back up, and then it will drop again when ppl realise why we quit in the first place, in another 6 months its going to merge servers, 6 months after that its going to either shut down or merge more, and then it will go offline.

Then after being offline for 3 years it is resold as Hellgate Swtor Reloaded.

[Infracted, Don't troll please]
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-09-12 at 09:52 AM.

If you have left before the LFG, then you will find that there have been population consolidation and you can move your toons to one of the designated destination servers if you are not already on one. So the population level are high at the peek times, although its slightly lesser than the previous months.

Content wise, its still the same model. Operations, Flashpoints or Warzones once you reach level 50 and if you like the story aspect, there is other classes to level. You can find better info on the impact of F2P on some of the other threads here, but shortly they are going with a new content every six weeks. (Expect small content segments, like 1 operation or couple of Flash points) There are currently testing a new patch on the Test servers so there is new content right around the corner.

Dont listen to Kouki, afte the recent server merges there are allways people in the fleet. To bring them into some activities is way harder.. But the content is really grew old, thus after 1.4 hit I expect a huge more activity and the come back from other peoples.

The lfg is like the ones in any other system, heal > tank > dds in rarity and need. =)

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

Hm, worth a shot imo. I dont know about everyone else, but I simply liked the game. Installing patch right now, will be making a new character. Is there a particular one MMO -C members play on?

I am on a destination server, on peak times there are about as many people on the fleet as before the server merges. low level planets are almost empty. I was on hoth yesterday, leveling my jedi on peak time, and there were never more than 10 people there. the game is good, imo, but people dont seem to want to play it.

I can't speak for other servers, on Harbinger things have been thinning out rapidly starting about a month ago. Many of the progression ops guilds have had to merge with others to keep running and RWZ have pretty much completely stopped running. Between win trading and then really only 4 teams running frequently it dried up, GW seemed to take away a lot of pvpers also.

The game play itself is constantly getting a little better as more and more bugs are removed or fixed. Its a good game that hopefully survives until it goes f2p and gets a player bump from that, then survives the trollish nature of many f2p players. I know i will have general turned off for awhile to avoid the ppl playing just to bash it once it is free.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

It would also depend on what area you want to go to. Asian-Pacific Players want their 3 servers merged into one. APAC doesnt even hit standard population on any server according to torstatus.net/shards/apac

"Oceanic Servers plans?" : swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=523626

Also seems specific servers dont make it very high, even on fleet, as another player mentions Jung Ma in this post.

"170 people on rep fleet, saturday evening" : swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530179

Jedi Covenant still has 400+ on Republic fleet every night at prime time, not sure what you guys are talking about.

The game is fun but the sparse updates just don't justify the 15 dollar sub for more than a month I don't think. I think free to play will be a boon for the game.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Jedi Covenant still has 400+ on Republic fleet every night at prime time, not sure what you guys are talking about.
    Yep, game is as lively as ever on JC. Auctions sell every day, people run things. Finding a guild that is active is probably a high priority if you want to be involved though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    I am on a destination server, on peak times there are about as many people on the fleet as before the server merges. low level planets are almost empty. I was on hoth yesterday, leveling my jedi on peak time, and there were never more than 10 people there. the game is good, imo, but people dont seem to want to play it.
    Err... what? During OFF hours, as in 3am, we have 150+ on fleet. During peak hours, we will have 3 fleets, all of which are nearly full so that means 750-900 people. Not to mention the amount of people still in warzones or out leveling. Also that doesn't include those doing Operations such as EC, which will have about 25 or more instances.

At least on my server, the game is as lively as ever. I can go to any planet and see ~50 people there. I know when I created an alt, the starting planet had near 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Err... what? During OFF hours, as in 3am, we have 150+ on fleet. During peak hours, we will have 3 fleets, all of which are nearly full so that means 750-900 people. Not to mention the amount of people still in warzones or out leveling. Also that doesn't include those doing Operations such as EC, which will have about 25 or more instances.

At least on my server, the game is as lively as ever. I can go to any planet and see ~50 people there. I know when I created an alt, the starting planet had near 100.
    Very similar experience on Canderous Ordo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I can't speak for other servers, on Harbinger things have been thinning out rapidly starting about a month ago. Many of the progression ops guilds have had to merge with others to keep running and RWZ have pretty much completely stopped running. Between win trading and then really only 4 teams running frequently it dried up, GW seemed to take away a lot of pvpers also.

The game play itself is constantly getting a little better as more and more bugs are removed or fixed. Its a good game that hopefully survives until it goes f2p and gets a player bump from that, then survives the trollish nature of many f2p players. I know i will have general turned off for awhile to avoid the ppl playing just to bash it once it is free.
    That's a shame, Harbinger was my new server before I left for GW2. Hopefully it will pick up again with F2P whenever that happens. As far as PvP'ers I would be sort of surprised if many were playing TOR for that anymore anyway. Ilum was never a great design to begin with and the 8v8 thing always felt tiny to me. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the WvW type was long gone before GW2 launched.

Now I could see the numbers thinning if BioWare can't keep new content coming out fast enough, but it looked okay before I left.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    That's a shame, Harbinger was my new server before I left for GW2. Hopefully it will pick up again with F2P whenever that happens. As far as PvP'ers I would be sort of surprised if many were playing TOR for that anymore anyway. Ilum was never a great design to begin with and the 8v8 thing always felt tiny to me. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the WvW type was long gone before GW2 launched.

Now I could see the numbers thinning if BioWare can't keep new content coming out fast enough, but it looked okay before I left.
    It was the highest pop pve server before merges and for awhile after them. It really seems like most of the servers that were moved to Harbinger were filled with armies of douchebags. After so long those types of players will leave as some were riding out the end of larger payment plans. They did scare off a fair amount of ppl from the game or to other servers though. How ranked wz were handled and the slow nature to rolling them out and then starting them has certainly taken its toll too. Here's to hoping they do another merging of servers and bring the 12 down to 6 or 4.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Prophecy of the 5 is still doing pretty well too. Republic side is a little lower, but always seems to have a full fleet at prime time. Imperial side there are at least 2, often 3 open. Been leveling a Merc, and have seen 30-50 on all the leveling planets all the way through so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post

Except the PVP in SWTOR is a lot better than that in GW2. Heaps of PVPers I know have tried GW2 and ditched it and are back in SWTOR. We all consider the combat in GW2 to be sub par and without decent combat, it doesn't matter how balanced the game is (which it's not) you can't have good PVP. Ilum was just like WvWvW....zergy (except more laggy). If you want real WvWvW wait for Planetside 2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeeus View Post

Thanks!
    I still enjoying the game. And with the transfers available check if the server u are its a destination server. If not, do the transfer.

Deleted
    I play on an RP server, not only am I capable of finding groups for FP hardmodes on the off hours, last night I was doing HM's till 6am in the morning...
    But I also fill my time with alot of RP on fleet or really anywhere in the world. I've should have tried this earlier on WoW but its like vanilla, where connections mean everything, so be social, interact with everyone, and you'll find a group in no time.

Deleted
    If you want to get back into the game I think now is the time. The upcoming F2P changes do not bode well at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    Except the PVP in SWTOR is a lot better than that in GW2. Heaps of PVPers I know have tried GW2 and ditched it and are back in SWTOR. We all consider the combat in GW2 to be sub par and without decent combat, it doesn't matter how balanced the game is (which it's not) you can't have good PVP. Ilum was just like WvWvW....zergy (except more laggy). If you want real WvWvW wait for Planetside 2.
    Guild Wars 2 PvP is not for everyone, that's true. It's purely skill based so most players coming from typical mmos will hit a wall when they realize they can't outgear their opponents have to require on skill on able teammates alone. The controls are another thing surely to alienate a lot of players who are coming from games where you should not but still could do pretty well by being a "clicker". GW2 is impossible for clickers, the game requires exceptional movement skills and finger dexterity, lots of targeted abilites without auto aim, highly effective and punishing dodge mechanic, even strafing comes with built-in movement penalty etc.

But that's why there are so many games out there. It's just games, all about the fun wherever you find it :-)
    And no offense, Swtor has its good sides, like the storyline but....I mean going back to Swtor for the PvP, really? That's just sad...

Admittedly WvW sucks but why wouldn't it. WvW sucks, period. It sucked back in DAoC (oh no blasphemous!) and in every other game ever created. The only truly great large scale pvp combat can be found in Eve and even then it comes witgh a myriad of issues still.