Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Playing whats fun vs playing whats good?

Where do you draw the line between picking a class that you enjoy but is very weak compared to a class you might not enjoy but is very strong? I have tried almost every class to at least 40 and the ones I enjoy the most everyone says have the most issues at max level like my necro or engineer. The two classes I find the most boring are the ones people say are the strongest: warrior and guardian.

I think either way Im screwed. If I continue playing the classes I enjoy max level could just be a massive headache and probably make me quit because killing things might be a tedious task with lots of deaths. But again on the other side if I get a class to 80 I dont really enjoy I still might quit because even though Im powerful and can faceroll everything I dont like the class.

So which is the right decision? Play a weak class you enjoy or a strong class that you dont? I prefer to min/max when I play so I dont want to suck once I hit 80.

Play what's good, because playing a class you think is "fun", won't stay "fun", when you're not viable

That said, I don't care enough about this game to figure out which Classes are viable, or how severe the balancing issues are (my level 80 Warrior seems pretty good though), so I can't offer you specific advice on the classes you mentioned
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Deleted
    sry to say this but reading this and what you wrote in the past i can only say you fail hard in "how to play gw2"^^

gw2 isnt played on lvl 80 - you dont make a class for playing on lvl 80

i have now guardian lvl 80 ranger lvl 39 mesmer lvl 32 and all other classes in lvlrange something like this and i have to say there is NO underpowered or Overpowered class for pve or pvp

when you fail in pve content somehow with whatever class than its not the class you should trie to improve your gameplay

10+ Year Old Account
    I always play what's "fun" instead of hopping on the FOTM train. If its not fun then why bother?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I beg to differ, engineer is extremely strong when you get to play with a granade spec build, right now i'm playing guardian and well it kills fast, but i feel it's lacking of some part of skill involved in it whereby the engineer or elementalist do have and are way more fun.

Deleted
    personally i prefer to play what's strong. being strong and generally being more useful makes the game fun. why bother playing a weak class who has little damage, no support, no anything? you will eventually get bored and frustrated of being an inferior class and it will make you demotivated. this is how i feel, though i guess it changes from person to person. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I always play what's "fun" instead of hopping on the FOTM train. If its not fun then why bother?
    It's not about rolling flavor of the month, it's about avoiding awful classes. There's nothing fun about getting rolled over in PvP, and/or not getting to raid due to your class
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    It's not about rolling flavor of the month, it's about avoiding awful classes. There's nothing fun about getting rolled over in PvP, and/or not getting to raid due to your class
    Now are you pretending your opinions are facts again? If you have "fun" playing a certain profession, build, etc, etc... Then it doesn't matter if you get "rolled" or not. You still had fun. I, and I doubt I'm the only one, play video games as a way to relax at the end of the day. If its not fun, I'm not relaxing, so I go find something that is fun. Not to mention that by its very nature, game balance is subject to a lot of tweaking. So what you might consider gimped this month you could be branding OP the next.

But seriously, how often does this happen? I've never run across a class in any MMO that simply wouldn't be accepted in PvE/PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    there is NO underpowered or Overpowered class for pve or pvp
    So a minionmancer is just as good and as fast at killing as a signet build greatsword warrior? Yea sure OK. While some builds might equal every class out at end game I was under the assumption that GW2 was about not having classes forced into certain builds but more of letting the players use builds they feel are fun to play. Right now you cant say with a straight face that a minionmancer is as viable at 80 as a Guardian or Warrior. Its just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    But seriously, how often does this happen? I've never run across a class in any MMO that simply wouldn't be accepted in PvE/PvP
    A good example that comes to mind is Feral Druid, and Protection Paladins. They are simply not taken as flag carriers in RatedBGs. Blood Death Knights are usually excluded as well, but some teams did use them. The overwhelmeing majority was Protection Warriors, for a variety of reasons. There were also a fair amount of specs in pre BC that simply did not Raid. Retribution Paladins, non Warrior Tanks (again), etc

Those are good examples of hard exclusion, but there's plenty of cases of lesser exclusion as well. Certain classes just not doing as much DPS/HPS, and thus being less preferred, etc
    Last edited by Shadylol; 2012-09-13 at 11:45 PM.

A good example that comes to mind is Feral Druid, and Protection Paladins. They are simply not taken as flag carriers in RatedBGs. Blood Death Knights are usually excluded as well, but some teams did use them. The overwhelmeing majority was Protection Warriors, for a variety of reasons

That's a good case of hard exclusion, but there's plenty of cases of lesser exclusion as well. Certain classes just not doing as much DPS/HPS, and thus being less preferred, etc
    What the hell does this have to do with GW2?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    People have started refusing elementalists in GW2's PvE and sPvP. Just sayin'.

On topic: Both. I'll keep playing my elementalist whether it's underpowered or overpowered, but I'm also getting other classes up. Eventually I'll just have five 80s and be able to go from "fun" to "good" with a couple of clicks. Assuming I play the game that long.

I've tried with my necro and as fun as it is in PvE, it's incredibly frustrating when I go to PvP. I basically have to make a survival build where I can't kill anything, but I can stay alive for quite some time which is not why I play necro. So I'm falling back on my engineer which is still equally enjoyable to me, and not weak in PvP by any means. I'd say stick with your engineer, or if you can necromancer. Because they will be doing balancing updates at some point no doubt. It just eats me alive when I know I could beat someone, but can't because of the class, so until they make other builds for necro more viable I'm gonna have to stick with engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    What the hell does this have to do with GW2?
    He asked me if there was ever a case when classes were excluded, so I answered yes, and provided examples

Deleted
    Play what's good, because playing a class you think is "fun", won't stay "fun", when you're not viable

That said, I don't care enough about this game to figure out which Classes are viable, or how severe the balancing issues are (my level 80 Warrior seems pretty good though), so I can't offer you specific advice on the classes you mentioned
    You seem to post alot about the game here for someone that wants us to believe he doesn't care about it, usually in a mildly negative manor...

Back on topic, play what's fun would seem stupid to go any other way, pick your favourite and try your best to make it work it will have to be something severerly underpowered for you not to be able do that and as far as I can tell that is not the case for any class.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-09-14 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    You seem to post alot about the game here for someone that wants us to believe he doesn't care about it usually in a mildly negative manor...

Back on topic, play what's fun would seem stupid to go any other way, pick your favourite and try your best to make it work it will have to be something severerly underpowered for you not to be able do that and as far as I can tell that is not the case for any class.
    lolwut

I never said I don't care about the game... I said "I don't care enough about this game to figure out which Classes are viable, or how severe the balancing issues are". Just because I don't care enough to get into a specific issue, doesn't mean I don't care about the game at all

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to post alot about the game here for someone that wants us to believe he doesn't care about it usually in a mildly negative manor...
    Now now, his opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Its only an opinion after all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Now now, his opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Its only an opinion after all.
    Of course I never said otherwise, just noted that he's basically posting how bad the game is in just about every single thread, seemingly unusually determined to persuade others not to like it either for someone that implies not to care about the game... opps sorry, somone that doesn't care ENOUGH! about the game

Of course I never said otherwise, just noted that he's basically posting how bad the game is in just about every single thread, seemingly unusually determined to persuade others not to like it either for someone that implies not to care about the game... opps sorry, somone that doesn't care ENOUGH! about the game
    "enough about the game", to get into one specific issue

Stop putting words in my mouth