Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Shadow priest Mindbender / Shadowfiend bug ?

Alright guys..
    So i recently came back after a break from wow to prepare for MOP. I've been diggin into the new talents and i'm a little bit confused with the 'Mindbender' one.

Tooltip ; Grants an IMPROVED version of Shadowfiend that is substantially more effective at dealing damage and generating mana.

Now from my understanding that means a stronger Shadowfiend, right .. ?
    Currently my shadowfiend hits for 12500 per hit without any buffs. I specced into Mindbender and it now hits for 7/8k per hit.. Thats not right is it ?
    I also checked both to see how much mana they return... And yes the normal Shadowfiend regenerates more mana then the Mindbender...

So, is this a known issue / bug that already has 100 posts about it ?

Are you sure you didnt have a trinket proc or power torrent/lightweave while you used your shadowfiend?

You have to take into consideration that when you spec Mindbender you are getting 3 Mindbenders in the same time span you normally have 1 shadowfiend

The tooltip for Mindbender is very misleading.

It is not a direct upgrade over Shadowfiend in that you spec into Mindbender and you instantly go Faster, Higher, Stronger.
    1 Shadowfiend > 1 Mindbender

You'll need to cast 2 Mindbenders to deal more damage than you would have with just one Shadowfiend. So in a fight where you can get off multiple Mindbenders (which is the bulk of all raid encounters) you will have higher overall damage. In fights where you could only get off one Mindbender, you're actually nerfing yourself, and would've been better off with casting a Shadowfiend.

Edit: Just to clarify, Mindbender is indeed an upgrade over Shadowfiend but only when you can cast it 2 or more times, only then does it always yield higher damage.
    Last edited by NickCageFanatic; 2012-09-14 at 04:16 PM.

3 minute cd, 12 sec duration shadowfiend vs 1 minute cd, 15 sec duration mindbender. Seems pretty improved to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesp View Post
    3 minute cd, 12 sec duration shadowfiend vs 1 minute cd, 15 sec duration mindbender. Seems pretty improved to me.
    vs FDCL tho :P is tht THAT improved!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed that I used to be able to pop haste and get an additional hit from Mindbender/Fiend. Now it no longer seems to work. Not sure if something changed or its all my imagination. Can anyone else verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    I noticed that I used to be able to pop haste and get an additional hit from Mindbender/Fiend. Now it no longer seems to work. Not sure if something changed or its all my imagination. Can anyone else verify this?
    might be the scaling as im fairly sure he still takes your stats.. atleast i remember reading it. and popping a +SP trinket does make him hit harder

T12 2pc gives Mindbender a 100% uptime. Fun stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    From what I've been able to test, shadowfiend gets an extra attack at 11.55% haste, 23.91% haste, 36.41% haste, etc.
    Mindbender gets an extra attack at 9.09% haste, 18.95% haste, 28.96% haste. Note that this is subject to latency. If you have high latency, the time between your initial cast and the shadowblob's initial hit is delayed, which increases the haste required before he attacks quick enough to get another attack in. (In fact, the values I just stated are probably latency-shifted already).

Unless this has changed in the past week or so, anyway. Note that his own attack speed dynamically changes with your melee haste %, so if you have improved haste for only a fraction of shadowblob's duration, his number attacks will shift accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    When's the last time you actually tested this?
    Last edited by Aica; 2012-09-15 at 06:13 PM.
    {[( )]}

tested? would be really cool
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

Doesn't work anymore. It's now about a 36 sec CD when I tested it last week.

Well I consider the attack animation of mindbender a bug...

Fixed 2 weeks ago.

I thought it was in fact not an upgrade but the fact that it can fly/hover means it can stay on it's target a lot easier and quicker (hence the tooltip)

Can it actually fly to things? I thought that was just the animation like how the dragonhawk for hunters just glides along the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Can it actually fly to things? I thought that was just the animation like how the dragonhawk for hunters just glides along the ground.
    I'll have to test it on Goriona in DS tomorrow. I was under the impression it glided also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Roughly, 1 Mindbender is going to provide you with around 10,600 Mana, over the course of a 3-5 minute fight that's going to bring you to about:
    5 x 10,600 = 53k.

If you're going to choose Shadowfiend, well then, you're going to get around 30,600 Mana per cast. If you can only get one cast off during the fight, you can obviously see what the winner is. I am speaking @ a standpoint from 102k Mana from Meta Gem and at Level 85.

For fights where you can get off Two Shadowfiends, I would insist that you use FDCL, but if you're going for a 3-5 minute fight and you need the mana you're going to want to use Mindbender.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a note that Mindbender's damage was buffed in a hotfix today. It's in the patch notes.

SW:I got a buff as well.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

- Shadow Word: Insanity should now deal 2667 to 2815 damage plus 290% of spellpower at level-85 (up from 2235 to 2359 plus 243% of spellpower).

- Mindbender damage has been increased by 20%. It now does 80% as much damage per hit as Shadowfiend (up from 66.7%).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    It can fly, but not very fast. It can follow the drakes out of range on Blackhorn, but can't keep up with Alysrazor while she's flying. Also, it despawns if it gets more than 50 yards from you. This is a risk if you send it after things flying out of range.