Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If GC want's us to multidot+mind sear, they could just make it so Mind Sear does more dmg on targets affected by swp. You don't need a degree to solve this problem..

It is hard to think of an AOE add situation from past raids where the adds shouldn't already be dead by the time vt+swp could be put on all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CapM View Post
    If GC want's us to multidot+mind sear, they could just make it so Mind Sear does more dmg on targets affected by swp. You don't need a degree to solve this problem..
    There's a glaring problem with this idea. Simply put, it wouldn't work. DoTing is very slow, and *isn't* AoE. Sometimes, you must kill the adds quickly and DoTs just aren't fast enough. Mind Sear (and the 90 talents) are built for this purpose; DoTs and Mind Sear serve very different functions. When GC said "Mind Sear spam isn't fun, we'd rather have you multi-dot" a lot of priests just shook their heads and wondered if we were playing the same game.

If we had a mechanic to spread dots (a la Pestilence), this may be a better way to AoE. Certainly, I would agree having a more interactive way instead of Mind Searx12 to AoE would be more fun.

they will never give us the dot spread ability, period. they're already complaining about (and constantly nerfing) our dot damage because of the dot cleave potential we have. try instantly dotting 10+ mobs. they'd probably take away our dots and leave us with mf spam to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crudelitas View Post
    they will never give us the dot spread ability, period. they're already complaining about (and constantly nerfing) our dot damage because of the dot cleave potential we have. try instantly dotting 10+ mobs. they'd probably take away our dots and leave us with mf spam to compensate.
    Exactly, which is why it's foolish to nerf Mind Sear.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like what they are really worried about is Mind Sear becoming the filler in long lasting cleave situations, but they are not coming right out and saying that. The sole reason to cast Mind Flay any more is that there is nothing else to do and a strong Mind Sear can quickly out scale it.

I'd trade the super-fun seed of corruption for the terribly boring mind sear any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they said they want us to multi-dot and mind sear and not just spam mind sear all day long in a AoE situation. Then I had a thought: change mind sear itself into a DoT version of wrath mindsear (doesn't hurt the target with the debuff). That way we can have our multi-dot "fun" and a actual AoE that can be good without just spamming 1 button on 1 target, and having not hurt the target makes it so it could never become part of a single target rotation (unless the fight itself calls for it).

Solution, Mind Sear does an additional X% damage per dot on target. Make our best aoe when we multidot and then follow up with mind sear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Popesickle View Post
    Solution, Mind Sear does an additional X% damage per dot on target. Make our best aoe when we multidot and then follow up with mind sear.
    Then the problem is when you have to calculate how many mobs are required to get fully dotted before you should mind sear and depending how importnant it is too get the AoE mobs down fast. Because in many cases you might still only do mind sear unless its a target that will live for a long time but you still need it to die instantly, IE a bunch of mobs with a lot of HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Popesickle View Post
    Which will enhance our dot cleaving which they're trying to avoid and make our aoe ramp up even worse.

Deleted
    Maybe have some kind of AoE with orbs? Seeing as there is often AoE on demand and you often know when there will be AoE that is the most important thing. Having the orbs either enhance mind sear or a new ability to use in AoE situations might be something a bit more useful.

It also removes the "lazy" factor that mindsear have where you can (unless you are going for absolute best for the group) just target a raid member and spam mindsear till everything is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Maybe have some kind of AoE with orbs? Seeing as there is often AoE on demand and you often know when there will be AoE that is the most important thing. Having the orbs either enhance mind sear or a new ability to use in AoE situations might be something a bit more useful.

It also removes the "lazy" factor that mindsear have where you can (unless you are going for absolute best for the group) just target a raid member and spam mindsear till everything is dead.
    Now this could work really well, like giving us an ability to consume all of our orbs for a % increased Mind Sear damage, which would make us have to weave MB and SW: D into an aoe rotation. Actually they could give us more ways to consume shadow orbs besides DP and the disarm, like an absorb/reduced dmg taken/heal(besides the DP healing)

15+ Year Old Account
    Simply remove or increase the target cap of Mind Seer.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    Simply remove or increase the target cap of Mind Seer.
    And that would help exactly how? There are very little situations where it actually gives any aoe dps increase.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celentes View Post
    And that would help exactly how? There are very little situations where it actually gives any aoe dps increase.
    Adds on Yor, adds on Raggy, all there are many of them where you are hitting the AoE cap.

Or make it so Mind Seer is afflicting the target with 3 second duration SWP, something similar to survival hunters and their multi shot spreading serpent sting.

EDIT: or make SW:I spread the half of the original duration of SWP to all targets within xy range.
    Last edited by Demetrion; 2012-09-12 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    Or make it so Mind Seer is afflicting the target with 3 second duration SWP, something similar to survival hunters and their multi shot spreading serpent sting.
    Spreading swp would cause massive amounts of di-proccs.
    And if you would add a dotspread to mind sear you could simply buff its +dmg

Adds on Yor, adds on Raggy, all there are many of them where you are hitting the AoE cap.

EDIT: or make SW:I spread the half of the original duration of SWP to all targets within xy range.
    AoE cap is 10 targets. I'm not quite sure how many adds spawn in 25man version, but it wouldn't help for 10man where only 8 adds spawn.
    The same for Yor, only 5 adds on 10man version.

This seems to be a very situational aoe damage buff for us.

I don't understand why blizzard wants to subject spriests to such double standards when other specs have even stronger and mindless aoe spam.

Half the time you wonder if the blizzard work culture makes you illiterate, as they fail to read our feedback regarding burst aoe (congealing bloods) or multiple weak adds (eg onyxian whelps). It appears that they want us to weave in dot spam for aoe situations, but this seems pretty hilarious, considering the slow ramp up time of dots. Can you imagine having to multidot 8+ adds, while other classes press a single button and do more aoe dps than you. And honestly spriests have always had an exceptional advantage in multidot fights, to nudge us even more towards that direction just seems like a really bad balancing decision.
    Last edited by Whitney Houston; 2012-09-16 at 07:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Blizzard team is being a bit stupid with their changes. Mind Sear goes through good patches, and bad patches. Dragon Soul was good and I was happy with where the spell was, but now it hits like a wet rag and I'm left waiting for my dots to tick for some high consistent AoE Damage. For example, when I went into the Scenarios with my friends earlier the mobs obviously don't have a lot of Health, and so I was left trying to DoT them up when a Ret Paladin ran in and managed to kill everything before I could even say Hi to the mobs face. Seriously, give us something to burst down a pack of mobs with. I ask for it to be balanced, not underpowered, not overpowered.