Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your thoughts on mods in GW2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdgW_G4FyU

I stumbled upon this video reading the official GW2 forums. It's basically implementing the action UI feature from that mmo Tera.

What do you guys think about adding not only this mod, but other possibilities?

Such mods can make quite dramatic changes to the game, and Arena Net has had the idea of an aiming system in the game, but kicked it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Such mods can make quite dramatic changes to the game, and Arena Net has had the idea of an aiming system in the game, but kicked it out.
    Why did they give it the boot? This looks 100x better and more fun. Wouldn't have to hold right click down anymore. Feels more responsive and actiony.

Deleted
    I sence a lot of stressing with my mouse all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Why did they give it the boot? This looks 100x better and more fun. Wouldn't have to hold right click down anymore. Feels more responsive and actiony.
    "We went through a lot of different phases with combat. At one point, the combat was literally aiming and shooting and sort of thing. But we didn't want a reticule on the screen, so what we have now is more of a hybrid system that requires some twitch skill, but utilizes our auto-targeting system as well."
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-09-17 at 07:27 PM.

Coming from Tera, a system like that would not work with the current GW2 skills/abilities. They would drastically have to change the game to make it work. In fast paced pvp, I much prefer being able to choose where to place skills/who to target.
    Last edited by Starry101; 2012-09-17 at 07:44 PM.

You can target ground based skills by targeting the ground where you want to cast them. Effectively it's the same as turning on the instant cast option for them, which a lot of people I know favor.

I liked TERA's targeting system (or lack thereof). The big thing I do not like about GW2 is the mouse cursor and camera. The cursor is terribly easy to lose, and the camera makes castle sieges a pain because it can't zoom far enough out to target stuff on the top of the walls without tipping the camera.

As far as other mods, I don't feel any particular lack, and this is from someone who ran 200+ mods back in the WoW days. A few things would be nice, particularly a way to parse out damage so I can evaluate builds and encounter performance. Equipment sets and trait spec sets would be nice too.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

3rd party mods are not allowed at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping some sort of TP mod comes along. I suck at the AH kind of stuff so any help on that front would be great.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'm hoping some sort of TP mod comes along. I suck at the AH kind of stuff so any help on that front would be great.
    That you meant Teleport, until you said "AH". That would be interesting

Anyway, I don't think that adding anything from Tera would be a good idea. I hated Tera, personally, and if Guild Wars 2 ends up turning into Tera, I won't keep playing it. It's not just about me, though, Tera wasn't very successful overall, and I think making changes that move closer to Tera would only drive customers away
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    No needs of mods at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    In regards to that video, the way tera handled combat with the fps style camera made it completely unplayable for me.

In regards to mods in general, I don't really care one way or the other. All the gold spam has made me change my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    No needs of mods at all.
    There's definitely a need for UI addons, if NCSoft/Anet doesn't revise the UI themselves
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

I wish I could have recount ; (

Quote Originally Posted by Uvwaex View Post
    I wish I could have recount ; (
    Me too

If they don't add in game meters, or have the game support addons, then we'll have to use third part out of game tools for meters, and that's always just a major hassle

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    No needs of mods at all.
    Thats why they're called Mod(ification)s or addons. They're not to solve a need. They're to personalize the UI.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-09-18 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Thats why they're called Mod(ifications) or addons. They're not to solve a need. They're are to personalize the UI.
    Well in Guild Wars 2's case, this is a need, rather than a want. The basic UI simply does not convey information accurately, or precisely enough

15+ Year Old Account
    They've expressly stated before that one of the negative side effects of allowing mods is the tendency of players to min max, disassembling the very fabric of variety which isn't in the spirit of GW2, and causes a culture of social exclusion.

Mods are tools, just like a wrench is a tool. Give an intelligent human being a wrench, and they will do useful and productive things. Unfortunately, your average gamer has the intelligence and social capacity of a chimpanzee. Give a chimpanzee a wrench, and it will hit other chimpanzees over the head with it, scream, and then fling poo. Not something all too dissimilar to what gamers do to other gamers with mods.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    They've expressly stated before that one of the negative side effects of allowing mods is the tendency of players to min max, disassembling the very fabric of variety which isn't in the spirit of GW2, and causes a culture of social exclusion.

Mods are tools, just like a wrench is a tool. Give an intelligent human being a wrench, and they will do useful and productive things. Unfortunately, your average gamer has the intelligence and social capacity of a chimpanzee. Give a chimpanzee a wrench, and it will hit other chimpanzees over the head with it, scream, and then fling poo. Not something all too dissimilar to what gamers do to other gamers with mods.
    Sorry, but that's nonsense

There will still be theorycrafting for Guild Wars 2, with or without mods. Addons just make it easier to see results in game

15+ Year Old Account
    Luckily for us, Arenanet doesn't believe that the fact that people WILL do it means it needs to be facilitated.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"