Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Server Consolidation 9/18

Originally Posted by SWTOR

Hi everyone,

Earlier this summer we launched the Free Character Transfer Program which offered players the option to transfer their characters from specific origin servers to selected destination servers. Following the success of the Free Character Transfer Program, and after closely monitoring server populations, we have now taken the next step in our on-going server population balancing process. We have upgraded destination servers in order to support a significantly higher number of players. As of tomorrow, all characters on origin servers will be automatically moved onto the upgraded high population destination servers. By centralizing our player populations on these higher population destination servers, we feel that we can offer our players the best possible Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience.

Read More

(Source)

Server Consolidation FAQ

Okay. So now tell me when I can bring all of my toons to my desired destination server.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

10+ Year Old Account
    I will forever be sad that I lost the server I was able to get the name "Dark" on.

Goodbye Lord Dark Helmet, you will be missed.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    People on the fleet are saying that this time with naming conflicts the person who has the name longest will get to keep it (Haven't seen it in the post/FAQ so dunno where they got that from) If they are doing this, I moved from Sith'ari to NML, I'm wondering, will it count the time I've had the name as the total or only the time on NML cos that was kinda a reset of everything.

So how many servers are left now? Is this only removing the "origin" servers that had been leftover from the server transfers/consolidation before, or is this actually a second round of mergers?
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    So how many servers are left now? Is this only removing the "origin" servers that had been leftover from the server transfers/consolidation before, or is this actually a second round of mergers?
    This seems to be the final stage of the process.

Ooh, 12 character slots!

Deleted
    12 ? o.0

wher did you get that info ?

Oh... My... God.

My characters will be together.

edit: I just gained 120 presence.

I don't even.

I will stop angry squirreling at bioware. For now.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-09-18 at 12:47 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by aT1C View Post
    12 ? o.0

wher did you get that info ?
    In the FAQ they have, the question "what if I have more than 8 characters". They've raised it to 12 slots and it's possible with mergers to even go above that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.swtor.com/transfer#servers-list (hit the matrix link) So you can see who is going where

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    It's a second round of mergers under the guise of "this is what we planned all along". Or, it's a second round of scheduled mergers under the regular Bioware M.O. of "keep everyone in the dark and share information with nobody." Either way, it's shitty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's a second round of mergers under the guise of "this is what we planned all along". Or, it's a second round of scheduled mergers under the regular Bioware M.O. of "keep everyone in the dark and share information with nobody." Either way, it's shitty.
    Its planned because the server mergers that happened prior to this left a lot of empty 'shells' with characters still on them. Now they're just bringing those characters over.

Lets say someone who quit in January comes back to the game- now they will have their character on the server that is populated.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played since the initial 30 days. I'm on Lord Praven. Am I in danger of having someone steal my names? That would greatly anger me. If this has nothing to do with me, sorry for the time waster lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Its planned because the server mergers that happened prior to this left a lot of empty 'shells' with characters still on them. Now they're just bringing those characters over.

Lets say someone who quit in January comes back to the game- now they will have their character on the server that is populated.
    Apparently you're unaware of the fact that several destination servers will no longer exist tomorrow? Like the Fatman being merged with Prophecy of the Five and Corellian Run merged with Shadowlands? I stand by my original statement.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I haven't played since the initial 30 days. I'm on Lord Praven. Am I in danger of having someone steal my names? That would greatly anger me. If this has nothing to do with me, sorry for the time waster lol.
    Depending on the names you chose and whether your toon was on an origin server, it's entirely possible that your name is gone already. Let's put it this way. My wife chose the name "Winter" on our original Tarro Blood server. Once we were consolidated to Corellian Run, that name was gone. Considering how common of a word/name it was, it wasn't really a shocker. However, if you have a more unique name, it has a better shot of still being there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Log in and go to the server labeled 'High Population Server'. If your character name is there unchanged, then you will get to keep it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 12:23 AM ----------

Apparently you're unaware of the fact that several destination servers will no longer exist tomorrow? Like the Fatman being merged with Prophecy of the Five and Corellian Run merged with Shadowlands? I stand by my original statement.
    Those are two servers who are being merged into the new 'super' servers. It doesn't have anything to do with a dying playerbase. They have new server tech that allows the server caps to be raised by a lot without lag being a factor. They're just trying to make the game more lively. Less servers, same amount of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Log in and go to the server labeled 'High Population Server'. If your character name is there unchanged, then you will get to keep it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 12:23 AM ----------

Those are two servers who are being merged into the new 'super' servers. It doesn't have anything to do with a dying playerbase. They have new server tech that allows the server caps to be raised by a lot without lag being a factor. They're just trying to make the game more lively. Less servers, same amount of people.
    Who said anything about it dying? I said it was shitty that they gave absolutely zero notice that they had any intention of merging these destination servers. You can argue with me about it all you want, but Bioware's insane desire for absolute secrecy and zero transparency will kill them in the long run. It's a big reason why I left. I never asked for specific dates on anything, just a little communication. These new servers that are being merged with a day's notice is exactly the opposite.

If you haven't played since the initial 30 days, then why would you be upset if anyone is using your names? Just finding a reason to be "greatly angered." You obviously aren't interested in the game, so who cares?

---------- Post added 2012-09-17 at 10:44 PM ----------

Who said anything about it dying? I said it was shitty that they gave absolutely zero notice that they had any intention of merging these destination servers. You can argue with me about it all you want, but Bioware's insane desire for absolute secrecy and zero transparency will kill them in the long run. It's a big reason why I left. I never asked for specific dates on anything, just a little communication. These new servers that are being merged with a day's notice is exactly the opposite.
    What difference does it make what server you (don't) play on? It's the same game.

You're finding reasons to complain about a game you don't play anymore. Give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    What difference does it make what server you (don't) play on? It's the same game.

You're finding reasons to complain about a game you don't play anymore. Give it a rest.
    Finding reasons to complain? Not quite. It the same complaint as always. What you, and many other people who will defend this game and Bioware/EA to their dying breath, don't get is it's not about the server mergers. It's about the lack of communication between the company and the playerbase. To many people, this will come as a complete shock tomorrow. For many, especially those that have to create a brand new name all over again, it's going to be the final nail. Go look at the Official Forum post. There are plenty of people who are like "Eh, who cares?" But there are another demographic of people pissed off about having to transfer again, not having a choice, and being given very little notice. It's called "customer service" and Bioware's is shit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I would hope so... At least I would hope they would prioritize active accounts over inactive ones for names...

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 05:35 AM ----------

Apparently you're unaware of the fact that several destination servers will no longer exist tomorrow? Like the Fatman being merged with Prophecy of the Five and Corellian Run merged with Shadowlands? I stand by my original statement.[COLOR="red"]
    My pleasure barge moving over to the Harbinger D:<