Thread: Ret PvP advice.

10+ Year Old Account

Ret PvP advice.

Ok so, basically, just looking for some general statements from the Ret community.

Here's how I feel about Ret's in PvP for 5.0

-We have decent/good self healing
    -Damage is slightly sub-par compared to other classes at the moment, however damage in general is good.
    -We are still the most suceptible melee class to crowd control, while having the least amount of crowd control.

That being said, just wondering if you guys agree or disagree.

Regardless, I personally feel Ret's have always been more of a support class (WoG, Freedom, BoP, FoL) which is good and all, but I want to play a melee class that is really focused more on being able to take down an enemy rather than helping allies. Of course, not matter where you go you'll always need to support teammates (via peels), but Ret's just have way to much focus on it.

In other words, I wanna play a class where my one and only focus primarily is dealing damage as melee.

Been looking at:

WW Monk
    or
    Arms Warrior
    Call me House.

Well if you're considering Warriors, can't hurt to look at Death Knights, either. They have some good utility and good damage.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    WW monk / Warr, seems like what you are looking for indeed.

I've got an arms warrior, and warriors will always be suicidal.

It's really a tradeoff, you'll die alot more and do some more damage, it can be frustrating to 1vs1 on a warrior sometimes, especially against classes that can selfheal alot more than warriors (which is the majority), they arent trick pony's, but just a hammer to face kind of class, it definately got it's moments, but where you are abit annoyed with the lack of paladins quick kills, you'll be a tad annoyed with the lack of survivability on a warrior, it's ofcourse alot better with a pocket healer, since your only limitation is snares and stuns

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Well if you're considering Warriors, can't hurt to look at Death Knights, either. They have some good utility and good damage.
    Pretty much same thoughts. DK's have a gap closer, 3 sec root (talented), snare, silence, AMS, fear/charm immunity if talented.....very well equipped against casters as opposed to rets.

Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramian View Post
    Pretty much same thoughts. DK's have a gap closer, 3 sec root (talented), snare, silence, AMS, fear/charm immunity if talented.....very well equipped against casters as opposed to rets.
    Double Death Grip is sick. You can grip two separate enemies in or the same enemy within 3 seconds. If a Mage uses Blink right after you use Death Grip.. just grip him back in and /lol. Smarter Mages would probably wait a few seconds because of this and you can play mind games by gripping someone else in as well if you think the Mage will wait to Blink. There's more situations it'll be useful in, but this is the most obvious.

Deleted
    If you don't like your ret for pvp, you will like dk even less. Dks have more burst and are (arguably) slightly less vulnerable to cc BUT their survivability is shit as you only have 1 reliable self heal (death pact), the other requiring that you have a full rp bar, lichborne off cd AND an opponent that is dumb enough to just let you stand there for 4 seconds to spam deathcoils.

I played dk since day 1 of wotlk and I would not advise you to roll one.

Unfortunately, it seems warriors will be crap too, as always. Nerfs to damage are already rolling in. Warrior is never a good choice for pvp unless you know you have a reliable babysitter.

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Double Death Grip is sick. You can grip two separate enemies in or the same enemy within 3 seconds. If a Mage uses Blink right after you use Death Grip.. just grip him back in and /lol. Smarter Mages would probably wait a few seconds because of this and you can play mind games by gripping someone else in as well if you think the Mage will wait to Blink. There's more situations it'll be useful in, but this is the most obvious.
    Ironically, your most dangerous enemies are actually melee.

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 12:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ramian View Post
    That one is always reserved for when you need to heal. Using it just to break a fear while you don't even have a full rp bar, means you won't have it later on when you need to heal.
    Last edited by mmoc213777db2f; 2012-09-21 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    If you don't like your ret for pvp, you will like dk even less. Dks have more burst and are (arguably) slightly less vulnerable to cc BUT their survivability is shit as you only have 1 reliable self heal (death pact), the other requiring that you have a full rp bar, lichborne off cd AND an opponent that is dumb enough to just let you stand there for 4 seconds to spam deathcoils.

I played dk since day 1 of wotlk and I would not advise you to roll one.

Unfortunately, it seems warriors will be crap too, as always. Nerfs to damage are already rolling in. Warrior is never a good choice for pvp unless you know you have a reliable babysitter.

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 12:47 PM ----------

Ironically, your most dangerous enemies are actually melee.

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 12:48 PM ----------

That one is always reserved for when you need to heal. Using it just to break a fear while you don't even have a full rp bar, means you won't have it later on when you need to heal.

Sounds like WW monk is our last hope

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadOwnz View Post
    Sounds like WW monk is our last hope
    Apparently not... Lots of QQ that wind walkers suck ass at pvp. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...9981039?page=1

Fuck! Looks like it's gonna be another World of Castercraft.

Deleted
    Im in the same boat as original poster. And i'm pretty sure im going to go back to play a DK again. Like someone here said, they havent got much survivability but they hit like a truck. I feel like my frost DK(full cata, normal gurth) does more damage without any cooldowns then my ret (full cata HC Experimental SL) with all cooldowns popped. It's really fun to play a frost DK in pvp.