Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Paladins also have pretty good absorbs now. Illuminated healing their mastery leaves an absorb behind after every heal. They also have pretty powerful single target healing and great aoe healing without having to use chakras. The reason why disc has traditionally slightly lower HPS is because absorbs have less overheal. The key however is slightly not 10-15%.

I understand how pallies heal. They are great at aoe healing in stacked encounters not in general. My understanding has been that disc having lower hps is because of their absorption capabilities. Regardless, pallies have nowhere near the absorption capabilities that a disc priest has.

In fact the buff to illuminated healing is a big headache for us, because it makes it tough to get aegis absorbed in a low damage phase. Remember that the smallest absorb gets eaten up first.

I can see how that might be a headache, but (and I'm truly not trying to be snarky here) welcome to what all the other healers have been dealing with since the bubble-spamming disc priest came into being. Remember that shields get first bite of the damage apple while everyone else gets whatever's left over meanwhile a fair chunk of their heals get pushed to OH. This too is kind of a headache.

In general disc operates at a low efficiency. Especially with multiple paladins in the raid.

Mainly folded up with my above comments but, pallies creating an environment where disc operates at low efficiency is part of the 'why disc needs a buff' argument?

Who says we are mathing out healing. The purpose of the math is to explain how our healing spells behave, not to mathematically model every fight. Its not impossible to do it, its just pointless. Everything you need to know can be inferred from simpler models that don't require so much effort.

My point is that theorycrafting healing has a long and storied history of inaccuracy. I'll wait and see how things shake out at 90.

Anyway, as someone above me already stated, this thread probably isn't going to end up anywhere near useful in ...3 ...2 ...
    Last edited by ApoEff; 2012-09-20 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ApoEff View Post
    . My understanding has been that disc having lower hps is because of their absorption capabilities. Regardless, pallies have nowhere near the absorption capabilities that a disc priest has.
    This is not good design. Absorbs are useful, no question. It reduces the impact of tremendous burst damage - the type that might randomly gib players.

Unfortunately, NONE of the encounters will be designed to require a Disc Priest. At this point, logically, if instant deaths are not a factor, you'd take the healer that could heal the raid faster. It's just common sense.

Disc needs to be on par. It needs to have a small perk over other healers - similiar to how other healers have them. Shamans have a HP buff, Paladins have Beacon, Druids have great mobility and utility, and holy priests really have nothing. But that's a problem for another thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    This is not good design. Absorbs are useful, no question. It reduces the impact of tremendous burst damage - the type that might randomly gib players.

Unfortunately, NONE of the encounters will be designed to require a Disc Priest. At this point, logically, if instant deaths are not a factor, you'd take the healer that could heal the raid faster. It's just common sense.

Disc needs to be on par. It needs to have a small perk over other healers - similiar to how other healers have them. Shamans have a HP buff, Paladins have Beacon, Druids have great mobility and utility, and holy priests really have nothing. But that's a problem for another thread.
    I'd argue that Barrier and Spirit Shell are essential for progression. Nothing will kill you in 1 hit, perhaps, but there are many things that AoE and tick and will just decimate you (like Cho'Gall). Completely negating one of this "blasts" is more than useful.
    And barrier is immense.

However, I do agree disc priests have a lot of problems now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    i enjoy disc and have 0 mana issues and spirit shell is hilarious.. for the content out, everything is viable. i think for lvl 90 though, thats where the "disc is bad" statement comes from.
    What "people" seem to be forgetting is the scale factor through gear alone at lvl 90, not to mention the way damage comes is completely different to how it currently is.
    There's a lot of fights in MoP where the overall damage will near enough wipe a group, SS or even Pw:B will be insane for those sort of scenarios, no other healer have the capability or throwing out absorbs on a 1min cd reaching 100k+ (current number that is, better at 90) without spending a ton of mana with a ton of overhealing to follow.., more over, if disc is played right even now, the mana efficiency is in a pretty good place.

Last, all these bland statements about how all healers should have this n' that is stupid, variety is what makes this game fun!

Deleted
    I understand how pallies heal. They are great at aoe healing in stacked encounters not in general. My understanding has been that disc having lower hps is because of their absorption capabilities. Regardless, pallies have nowhere near the absorption capabilities that a disc priest has.

I can see how that might be a headache,

Mainly folded up with my above comments but, pallies creating an environment where disc operates at low efficiency is part of the 'why disc needs a buff' argument?

My point is that theorycrafting healing has a long and storied history of inaccuracy. I'll wait and see how things shake out at 90.
    With a good chunk of mastery paladins can provide a TON of absorbs. its 20% of every heal and on top of that they have beacon on the tank(s). Maybe disc has more but paladins can also provide a decent enough amount. Burst its 3-4 times more for disc, but overall its more like 2-fold.

Absorbs are a nice thing to have and they have lower overheal, but a healer getting the left over damage after absorbs can simply tailor their casting to it, but 30% of a PoH is absorb and that is actually part of the heal. If you cast a series of PoH and you lose the aegis because illuminated healing got there first you might as well have overhealed and gotten more healing earlier.

So the argument that absorbs overheal less just does not hold water. Every encounter has a certain healing requirement. You bring enough healers to cover it. If a healer class is 10-15% below the other healers, then an encounter which is just management with 5 healers, but not be manageable if one of those healers is disc.

5% is fine, 10% or more is just not and it will never be no matter how nice your absorbs are.

Raid leaders who find their raid pressed for healing will have every reason to switch out the disc priest for several fights in this tier, where spirit shell does not appreciably make the fight easier.

There are some fights which are just tailored for disc. Unless other healers have a nicer mechanic somehow, I expect guilds will be hitting 2x disc priests on the spirit binder both with divine insight, because PWS/spirit shell spam is just that good on voodoo doll damage.

Wait until 90? What for? We already have a level 90 environment on beta. Its foolish to think that magically things are going to change if blizzard does not make any changes.

Theorycrafting is there to tell us what is possible and what is not possible, what is more likely and less likely. The way things are now, disc is highly likely to have a lower theoretical maximum HPS than any other class, in 65-70% of all the fights in the tier. That means in some parses disc might be high, in others it might be low, but overall the top of the tier will be heavily dominated by other classes, much more than it is in cata.

We know its impossible for a disc priest to produce the same high HPS as many other classes in encounters with extended high damage phases. We know that PoH operates at a level very far before its maximal when there is not enough opportunity for aegis stacked after healing to be absorbed or at least to be kept alive (i.e. use overhealing PoH to keep the stack alive).

So we are back to the start of cata: Disc is a CD whore or a tank healer. It wasn't good then and its not good now.

Disc just needs to get back the HPS it lost from the penance nerf. Why the hell did they nerf us, when we were not overtuned to begin with ?!!?! A lot of people think I am asking for a buff. I am not I am asking for a nerf to be reverted, because it was the wrong decision. Aside from that disc needs some quality of life changes to improve our gameplay. I don't understand why people are resisting this.

Before the penance nerf, did anyone complain that disc was OP? On the contrary it was more complaints that throughput was not enough. The reason was that AA was necessary to be competitive plus spirit shell was not showing on the meters and most players had not yet figured how to use it. Otherwise our throughput scaling was the same as in cata. Slightly lower, but our CDs definitely make up for that. The blizzard nerfed us about 8-10%, by nerfing penance. I don't understand how people can possible argue that disc needed to be nerfed or that the nerf has not affected us. Its the same with the crit scaling of PoH. Why did people think that PoH scaled well with crit. It scaled terribly and now that crits don't apply the base 30% aegis anymore the crit multiplier of PoH has dropped to 2. Its the same as PoH not benefitting for aegis on crit at all.

We didnt need a nerf and it really did break our class. This should be self evident. I shouldn't really have to write walls of text for people to see that if you nerf a class that is reasonably close to balance you will break it.

All in all people who complained about AA being necessary (twistedmynd and his video too), thank you for F...ing us up. Now we actually have to dps and screw up or gameplay for a pretty shitty benefit too....
    Last edited by mmoc58baca37e6; 2012-09-20 at 01:02 PM.

Why should an encounter require a disc priest. Or any other healer for that matter.
    Come on, seriously.

As for Havoc, your arguments are just unconvincing to me. Anyway, good luck getting the changes you feel are needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    All in all people who complained about AA being necessary (twistedmynd and his video too), thank you for F...ing us up. Now we actually have to dps and screw up or gameplay for a pretty shitty benefit too....
    Did you mean the people who said that AA was not necessary? Otherwise I'm confused by this statement.
    We haven't received a proper Blizz response on this issue but I think it's pretty safe to say that Twisted is not to blame, and his work should be commended whether you agree with the conclusions or not.

I dislike being a cd whore and dpser, and feel bad for those who may be benched due to balance issues (though this seems premature). I suspect that many new players will find the changes confusing, and Blizz will have to make some QOL adjustments to make our rotation flow better. I'll be surprised if blizz doesn't make IF and AA unusable during SS to prevent players from unknowingly wasting their cds.

I'm confused as to why Blizz didn't expect the 50% or so (totally pulled that out of my ass obviously) of priests who didn't use AA/A previously to enjoy the permanent change when they opted out in the first place. Slightly lower overall throughput + better burst vs higher base throughput but less burst seems a fair trade-off and a real playstyle choice. Something similar to Paladin seal with one offering (example) +5% increased base healing, no evangelism, AA on 3 min cd VS AA/A as we know it. Most raiding priests will switch between the two depending on the encounter. The option to change during a fight without cost is more appealing than a glyph, more dynamic, and more noob friendly.

Oh well overall I'm enjoying Disc more in many ways (Spirit shell mostly) and love everything else that blizz has brought us so far *shrugs*. I'm just leveling a Paladin just in case you doomsayers are right
    Last edited by Kirse; 2012-09-20 at 04:44 PM.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

I must say I'm quite jealous at Paladin Healers atm.
    Blizzard have stated that turning PoH into a smart heal would be too OP, then goes adding the smart heal Holy Radiance, if that wasn't enough now they have redone the holy power spender Light of Dawn to yet another smart heal, and everything adds absorbs always.

A Paladin lucky with procs can use spam that Light of Dawn endlessly to heal the raid back to full or use their holy power procs on instant spot heals, they can use their cooldowns with each other and not having to build up anything to be able to use them. A paladin is strong in every single environment.

As a Disc healing with grp based PoH will have to overheal always to some degree and also to keep Aegis from falling off, outside of Spirit Shell that is, and spend more mana per actual heal by doing that. Our Smart healing is locked to at one target at a time whether it is offencive Penence/smite/holyfire or Prayer of Mending.
    Our cooldowns doesn't stack with each other. Power Infusion don't stack with Hero/BL/TW, Archangel don't add to Spirit Shell, Inner Focus isn't a throughput increase in Spirit Shell. The Aegis you stacked before SS will run out during SS stacking. Add to this alot of mana saving mechanics do not work as intended, mostly synergies with Inner Will.
    Disc Priests will have to play perfect and be 100% aware of timing of large AoE boss abilities to be on par with an average other Healer. I'm still going to level my Priest first and get into raiding, but will have an Holy offspec ready at hand even though i dislike it, even that Holy isn't really the greatest spec either, but can play slightly more mana efficient.
    Will have my Paladin ready to be leveled that's for sure.

What I do miss is something Smart Multitarget ability for the Disc spec to get out from the clunkyness of PoH. Have suggested a cleaved Penance triggered by Inner Focus before and still think it would fit and benefit Disc in the scenario of few spread out low hp targets, a CoH for Disc but on a longer cd.

Issues still:
    Archangel doesn't add anything to Spirit Shell
    Inner Focus doesn't add anything to Spirit Shell
    Built up Aegis get lost when building Spirit Shell
    Glyphed Holy Fire(instant) doesn't work with Inner Will
    Glyphed Holy Fire(instant) consumes Borrowed Time(no other instant consumes BT)
    FDCL double procs when there's one proc already saved
    FDCL doesn't consume Inner Focus

10+ Year Old Account
    But they should have low hps when compared to other healers, no? Other healers can't do what they do; the closest comparison would be pallies and their absorbs are not at all on par with what disc can do.

The trade-off is: disc specializes in absorbs at the cost of lower throughput. I don't see how that means they need to be buffed.
    Are you serious? No they shouldn't. You don't even really get what HPS is. HPS has meant heals+absorbs done for a long time now. Check recount, skada, logs it includes absorbs in HPS. This isn't wrath where you only saw absorbs if you had the addon to recount. Disc is way below all healers in HPS(as in heals+absorbs) at 90. Disc sacrifices actual Heals for absorbs, it is still supposed to add up to about the same HPS capability of other healers. If they are far below every other healer, there will be no reason to bring a disc priest. Anyone who says that is ok seriously needs to wake up.

b) Disc has assured itself a raiding spot specifically because of the absorbs. We both know that 'more healing' isn't what disc is brought for anyway and they don't get sat for the lack thereof.
    Plenty of top guilds who have tested raids on beta have said they are not bringing healing priests into raid and definitely not disc. So no their raid spot isn't guaranteed.
    Last edited by Freia; 2012-09-21 at 12:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundmark View Post
    I must say I'm quite jealous at Paladin Healers atm.
    Blizzard have stated that turning PoH into a smart heal would be too OP, then goes adding the smart heal Holy Radiance, if that wasn't enough now they have redone the holy power spender Light of Dawn to yet another smart heal, and everything adds absorbs always.
    ------
    What I do miss is something Smart Multitarget ability for the Disc spec to get out from the clunkyness of PoH. Have suggested a cleaved Penance triggered by Inner Focus before and still think it would fit and benefit Disc in the scenario of few spread out low hp targets, a CoH for Disc but on a longer cd.
    ----------
    Issues still:
    Archangel doesn't add anything to Spirit Shell
    Inner Focus doesn't add anything to Spirit Shell
    Built up Aegis get lost when building Spirit Shell
    Glyphed Holy Fire(instant) doesn't work with Inner Will
    Glyphed Holy Fire(instant) consumes Borrowed Time(no other instant consumes BT)
    FDCL double procs when there's one proc already saved
    FDCL doesn't consume Inner Focus
    I agree with you on most points, however I'd be careful about requesting PoH changes. It has been mentioned before on battle.net, but there were good explanations as to why it would be a bad idea to change how the ability works (if you really care I'll try to dig around to find them, but they are convincing imo). Many agree that it needs a throughput increase, but the design itself cannot be changed for the better without it likely requiring a nerf. It's also a pretty beloved spell in spite of it's flaws and I'm sure that the priest community would be upset if any major changes took place. One thing that I observed with smart heals VS PoH is that, by nature, PoH applies more predictable healing to the raid, leaving us with some idea of who will still need topping up afterwards. This makes planning ahead easier which works well with disc style. Not everyone will agree of course, but the rng factor of smart heals takes away my sense of control so I enjoy the smart heal factor less than expected.

Our aoe capabilities are decent with our level 90 talents and the right combination of abilities, but the problems you listed above should be adjusted. Those changes will result in slightly higher throughput, and more importantly make the rotation more fluid.

My priest envies my Paladin somewhat mostly due to the abilities feeling more logical, but for what it counts (so far) I miss my priest a lot when leveling the Paladin. I don't feel that they have as much variety in spell types or visuals and I deeply miss Spirit Shell.
    Last edited by Kirse; 2012-09-20 at 11:59 PM.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

Deleted

Why should an encounter require a disc priest. Or any other healer for that matter.
    Come on, seriously.

As for Havoc, your arguments are just unconvincing to me. Anyway, good luck getting the changes you feel are needed.
    If you haven't done the fights you shouldn't make comments like that. Unless blizzard changes it absorbs prevent voodoo doll damage from spreading to other players. That means every absorb on the tank prevents damage from hitting 3 other people. Every 120k SpS-Gheal reduce the damage the rest of the raid takes by 360k. On LFR where the damage is low, while I am spamming SpS gheals on the voodoo doll tank the other 3 targets take practically no damage.

Or perhaps you missed baleroc on firelands, where shadowpriests with glyphed dispersion, made the encounter much easier.

Perhaps you didn't play priest back then, but on TBC there were a number of encounters in the black temple that were specifically designed for Circle of Healing and we all know it. There are at least 3 encounters in the tier, gajarat being the most ridiculously obvious, which are clearly designed to make use of the discipline cooldowns.

You seem to be very confused. Tailored for a class ability does not mean this ability is required. It just means having that class makes the encounter much easier. It makes perfect sense for blizzard to do this. Fights have mechanics designed to be countered by class abilities and very often one class ability is superior to others. Exactly because its a logical thing to do, blizzard does it all the time.

My arguments are unconvincing because you haven't thought enough about how disc behaves with the new changes and because you most likely did not bother taking part in the beta and checking out the content.

I am not sure I want smart healing PoH. I want to be able to focus my absorbs where I want them. Nothing wrong with a group healing PoH, since it has 30yard radious, which covers a massive area. The important thing is that this party limitation should be taken into account, when balancing. The only logical improvement is to change the spell from healing people around the target of the spell to heal people in the target's group as long as they are within a certain distance from the priest (say 60 yards). That would make PoH hit 5 targets pretty much all the time. I dislike the idea though because it removes a skill element and a raid planning element from the game.

I also don't think that PoH needs a throughput increase. It would take just a few easy fixes to dramatically improve disc and get it back to where it was pre-penance nerf, without changing PoH at all IMO.
    Last edited by mmoc58baca37e6; 2012-09-21 at 04:41 AM.

Deleted
    I would kill for a PoH that didn't have the group requirement, though i'm not sure how you would balance it. Having to align groups to my preferences is such a hassle, and in LFR it's not even doable most of the time.

Unless blizzard changes it absorbs prevent voodoo doll damage from spreading to other players.
    Go outside LFR and see that Gara'jal uses the Abilities "Sweeping kick", "Hammer fist", "Right Cross" and "Left hook" that completely ignores absorb mechanics on the tank.

And how a smart PoH would perhaps work would always choose your main target and the 4 players with least amount of efficient health(hp(or missing hp)+YOUR absorbs). Not much choice in choosing grp 1 or 2, or 1-5 if you into that. Safe bet would be tank/melee group will always take damage, but then again you would have around same pattern if you smart heal target the tank, just that the heals go where they are needed the most.
    Last edited by Lundmark; 2012-09-21 at 09:12 AM.

Go outside LFR and see that Gara'jal uses the Abilities "Sweeping kick", "Hammer fist", "Right Cross" and "Left hook" that completely ignores absorb mechanics on the tank.

And how a smart PoH would perhaps work would always choose your main target and the 4 players with least amount of efficient health(hp(or missing hp)+YOUR absorbs). Not much choice in choosing grp 1 or 2, or 1-5 if you into that. Safe bet would be tank/melee group will always take damage, but then again you would have around same pattern if you smart heal target the tank, just that the heals go where they are needed the most.
    This damage can still be absorbed on the other voodoo dolls. All this does is prevent spirit shell chaining on the tank so the voodoo dolls dont take any damage. This is still a fight (and possibly the only outside of li shi) that disc will shine.

Deleted

The Shadowy attacks are also on the LFR, but he does not use those all the time. Its every 3rd attack or so. The absorbs you stick on the tank all get absorbed and the important thing is that if damage is absorbed it does not chain to the voodoo dolls. So spirit shell, pws and aegis, dramatically reduce the amount of damage that voodoo dolls take, making it much much easier to heal them. In LFR the shadowy attacks don't hit that hard so the other voodoo dolls take very little damage. The way things are now, 2x disc, or heavy paladin stacking or both is really going to be the golden standard on gajarat.

Lei shi is also a great fight for disc, simply because of the damage on the tank is insane and Disc is an exceptionally good tank healer.

There are other fights where disc is pretty good. Windlord in the heart of fear on hc is probably a fight where you will absoludely want a disc priest in order to try and explode some windbombs. Blademaster on normal and hc is a great fight for disc, because you can chain spirit shell for every big strike and keep aegis alive between the two, maybe the last boss on mogu'shan might also be a good fight for disc. For the other 60-70% however, it's probably better to go holy.

The problem with raid wide smart PoH is that (a) we will have a strong incentive to cast it 24/7 exclusively (with the occasional cascade). (b) We won't be able to direct spirit shell where we want it (c) we won't have the option to keep aegis alive if we want to. PoH will prefer to heal those who don't have aegis/spirit shell already.

(a) is plain bad design, we don't want to be a class that spams 1 button and blizzard learned its lesson with the spammable CoH back in WotLK. (b) and to a lesser extent (c) are a major headache for disc. Smart PoH is certainly powerful, but its not really a good way to improve disc gameplay.

On the other hand a mechanic effectively guaranteeing that PoH will heal all group members, is going to fix a major headache for disc, which is fixing the groups and its going to make disc much stronger in spread out fights, when you will always be able to use PoH if a group is taking damage, no matter where they are. However I personally don't want to see that happening, since it removes a skill element.

Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    Are you serious? No they shouldn't. You don't even really get what HPS is. HPS has meant heals+absorbs done for a long time now. Check recount, skada, logs it includes absorbs in HPS. This isn't wrath where you only saw absorbs if you had the addon to recount. Disc is way below all healers in HPS(as in heals+absorbs) at 90. Disc sacrifices actual Heals for absorbs, it is still supposed to add up to about the same HPS capability of other healers. If they are far below every other healer, there will be no reason to bring a disc priest. Anyone who says that is ok seriously needs to wake up.
    Yes, I'm serious.
    I am aware of how absorbs and heals are tracked.
    I do know that this isn't Wrath.
    You're welcome to re-read my comments where I discuss what I think and why.

Plenty of top guilds who have tested raids on beta have said they are not bringing healing priests into raid and definitely not disc. So no their raid spot isn't guaranteed
    If you aren't in a top guild, then none of this affects you in a meaningful way; if you are; they'll bring one of your alts.

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    My arguments are unconvincing because you haven't thought enough about how disc behaves with the new changes and because you most likely did not bother taking part in the beta and checking out the content.
    It's frustrating (not to mention annoying) to have one's opinion dismissed out of hand because one hasn't thought about it enough or because one most likely didn't bother with beta. Maybe you're just not as spot-on as you think you are.

Anyway, I wished you well in your endeavors so have the courtesy to not be so patronizing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't in a top guild, then none of this affects you in a meaningful way; if you are; they'll bring one of your alts.[COLOR="red"]
    Not playing Disc or re-rolling is not an adequate solution to any issues that we may have. A lot of players don't have raid-ready alts or even the time to level them, and most importantly we want to love and be able to play our spec of choice :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    Not playing Disc or re-rolling is not an adequate solution to any issues that we may have. A lot of players don't have raid-ready alts or even the time to level them, and most importantly we want to love and be able to play our spec of choice :P
    This is very true, and I myself have joined a new HC raid team and am quite worried tbh that my throughput might come into question.
    All the balance changes I am seeing on the front page of MMO champ, none of them Priest changes. Worried now.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    This is very true, and I myself have joined a new HC raid team and am quite worried tbh that my throughput might come into question.
    All the balance changes I am seeing on the front page of MMO champ, none of them Priest changes. Worried now.
    Worried now?? I've been worried since the very beginning of this madness. And unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting any better for us. I can't tell you how many fights I'm sure my Dpriest is going to be sat out on because her throughput is just horrible. I don't want to have to roll another class but for the purpose of progression I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to...