Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What exactly is 'World PvP'?

So with the new CRZ, I've had both good and bad experiences. Big thing I've noticed is alot of ganking of very low level characters, ganking on the Dark Portal spawn zone, and 15 people to ususaly 2. I've also seen people praising CRZ because it brought back "World PVP"..my question is what exactly is World PVP? I don't think ganking someone who can't fight back while having 4 other people really isn't 'World PVP'
    The only thing I could guess would be the equivalent of Halaa in Nagrand.

Most people are confused on the whole world pvp vs ganking. World PVP is fun when there are actual battles going on. The ganking at the dark portal where it is usually 20-4 people is only fun for the people who are doing the ganking. I would love to do world pvp at the dark portal, but most alliance on my server are too lazy to still leave SW. When we can get a group together lots of times it is only 10 people max still vs the 20-40 horde hovering about the spawn area. I just can`t get the alliance out of SW still they are like meh, I have more fun going to HH where there are actual groups fighting, the funny thing is I still only see 2 or 3 people from my own server fighting. The rest are sitting in SW.

10+ Year Old Account
    World PvP was when one player ganked another player of the opposite faction, who was most likely farming on one of the WPL farms or in Tyr's Hand.

Years later people started thinking that world PvP used to be something glorious, wonderful and epic. But it really wasn't for the most part.

But I do have to admit that STV and Hillsbrad used to be quite awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    No offense, I can't believe this is a serious thread.

World pvp is any form of pvp in the world of Azeroth that isn't instanced. Its much like the Wild West where anything goes and there are no rules or honor. If 4 people want to kill one player, they will. They're not going to be like "Well its not fair that he's alone and we'll let him go." I mean seriously that's such a lame cop out, you see people getting overwhelmed in random bgs too.

World pvp isn't for people who like organized objective based gameplay that has a semblance of balance. Or for people who hate losing while being destroyed every time a respawn. 90% of world pvp is one side dominating the other. And that is why its unpopular to many.

I personally think its overrated. Its not bad, but its not amazing.

all I used to do for world pvp was group with my friend, cause a fuss at either sentinel hill or redridge so that people would bring their mains/call for help and see how many we could fight/kill until there was eventually like 10 opposing players or if some geared healers came. then we'd hide to wait for some to leave and my friend (it was always him for some reason) would usually get a tell from someone talking about how bad we sucked and how we got owned followed by him being put on ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    World pvp to me is exactly what it says... player vs player in the world.

Ganking/camping lowbies isn't a very honorable or fair thing to do by any means but often times it is this ganking/camping that sparks really fun wpvp.

There have been plenty of times where all I wanted to do was quest and try and level my alt but end up getting slowed down by someone ganking. The question is, does that frustration outweigh all epic fun times I have had over the years getting into wpvp battles. The answer is without a doubt, NO. I have never even considered rolling a character on a non-pvp server. There is something about the thrill of an unscripted fight that breaks out. Unscripted being the key word in why wpvp is so much fun to me.

I guess it helps to be on a server that really promotes wpvp and has a nice H:A ratio. Bleeding Hollow #1 wpvp server US.

Well today in about 2 hrs that I was online an Alliance raid attacked Oggrimmar 3 times. Now this may sound normal for some of you guys but I'm from Illidan which has like 50k players and they're basically all Horde. I don't know if that is caused by the CRZ but it just started happening and I enjoy it.

PS. Of course alliance got stomped on.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

15+ Year Old Account
    Alliance trying to gank me and my brother while leveling just to make us relog our mains and beat the crap out of them 2v5+ is what I call world PvP lately. Gotta love it <3

Deleted
    As a rule of thumb, classes that are overpowered at 1v1 will love wpvp aka ganking, while classes that aren't won't be fans of it and the said wpvp-ers will call them carebears.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    Well today in about 2 hrs that I was online an Alliance raid attacked Oggrimmar 3 times. Now this may sound normal for some of you guys but I'm from Illidan which has like 50k players and they're basically all Horde. I don't know if that is caused by the CRZ but it just started happening and I enjoy it.

PS. Of course alliance got stomped on.
    I thought the citys was phased or at least org and sw are phased so other servers couldnt attack inside instead just cause trouble outside unless thats what you meant then enjoy the fun and choas

Deleted
    For me world pvp is organized big battle between alliance and horde out in the world. Single mini-fights also counts as world pvp in my book but they arent as awesome as big 100vs100 fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedopmti View Post
    So with the new CRZ, I've had both good and bad experiences. Big thing I've noticed is alot of ganking of very low level characters, ganking on the Dark Portal spawn zone, and 15 people to ususaly 2. I've also seen people praising CRZ because it brought back "World PVP"..my question is what exactly is World PVP? I don't think ganking someone who can't fight back while having 4 other people really isn't 'World PVP'
    The only thing I could guess would be the equivalent of Halaa in Nagrand.
    no one forced u to play on pvp server, reroll on pve and u r not gonna have that problem

10+ Year Old Account
    There is one guy on my server, who I swear to God, has a max level of each side and sits in front of the Dark Portal with a bowl of cheetos (because cheetos are delicious) on either one and ganks people every single day. Of course I can't prove it, I mean there's also a guy like that who sits at the portal point in Stonard. Anyway, this has been that way for as long as I can remember. There are always skeletons, and I'm okay with it. Hell, he's even gotten me when I'm not paying attention. I guess my point is, oh I guess I'm just sharing a story.

Wait I can salvage a point.

Just give me one ... second ...

Alright! So you know how this is World of Warcraft? We're at war! So, there really aren't any rules when you're outside of your government's sanctions. War is war, and if it's red it's dead. I've only actually ganked one person, and it was an accident. I felt really, really bad. Where was I going with this?

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    World PvP as said, is any PvP outside a BG/Arena, It doesn't matter if it's 25 lvl 85's against 1 level 12, it -is- still world PvP, Not very honourable though, but still,

Dark portal is a good place for it, we often get Horde attacks on our realm, and then give it 25mins and it's a full scale war, it often balances out nicely and we get some very enjoyable fights!

World PVP is a (relatively) fair fight between players. Ganking is a necessary evil that comes with it. If anyone doesn't like that, they can and should play on a PVE server.

My fondest memories of World PvP came from STV. Starting out with a little bit of ganking, calling in friends, friends get guildies, soon you'd have 30+ people from either side hunting the other raid down in the jungle(especially in the region around the nesingwary expedition, good times). Hell, half the time you'd have to get a bunch of friends and guildies together just to respond to a preformed group from the other side. That usually didn't go so well, but it was a lot of fun all the same. And oh, the raids on Tauren Mill or Southshore could get so massive. I swear I can remember having over 100 people in that one little zone, and I never did see a real objective beyond 'fun'.

That said, I hadn't seen anything I would deem 'fun' for BOTH sides in a long, long time. STV turned into a gankfest where people would park their 80s next to their alts to try and gib anybody that ganked them, and maybe, just maybe the guy that did the ganking would call in a few friends. But it never got beyond that, it's like the guy that first got ganked decided he'd rather level his alt elsewhere instead of instigate anything. Real, fun 'World PvP' died a long time ago, at least in Azeroth. When I left early in Cata, nobody left their home city if they weren't leveling alts. Half the time I could go level an alt of my own, come across a hordie, and he would just be passive as hell. If I wanted to instigate anything, I had to do the attacking, and then nothing. No more hordie, no high level coming to gank my ass, no guildies of the hordie. Just...nothing.

World PvP these days? I couldn't say. But I remember what it used to be. Maybe, someday, the game can get back to that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    killing another player in the world

but is most prominently thought of as battles for the summoning stone and completely random all-out fights in the middle of nowhere.

farming a kid before they could loot my TLPD that they killed until it despawned probably also counts, but eh.

I don't "gank" but if you're 85 we're fighting. Its not ganking if you're the same level as me.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    I don't "gank" but if you're 85 we're fighting. Its not ganking if you're the same level as me.
    Well actually the problem is that most people are carebears and will call any PvP they dont want ganking. Even if he's "ganked" by a lower level char.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    As a rule of thumb, classes that are overpowered at 1v1 will love wpvp aka ganking, while classes that aren't won't be fans of it and the said wpvp-ers will call them carebears.
    I love it on all of my chars, but then again, all classes are OP right now, so I guess you're right.

EDIT: I don't do ganking though, just kill on sight, even if it's the 3rd time. Huge difference tbh.