Dark Apotheosis: Interesting things I've noticed.

I've found when soling raids (read: ony, 3D sarth, Maly) that Dark Apotheosis has interesting effects that are deeper than face value.

The first of this being that the armor bonus to you is lesser than the armor bonus to your pet. The 250% that you get from Dark Apo adds to your pet as well, and its substantial. I've found that Voildlord is an amazing tank but Voidlord while you're in dark apo is even better (I didn't know it was possible).

In addition, I've found that mastery is worthless because its almost always better to have your pet tank than you.

Good strats I've found are when I'm about to pull threat, I just hop out of DA and soulshatter and then pop back in. The only think you really even use fury for is Soul Fires and procs are few and far between. I've also noticed that Soul Leech + Corruption healing glyph = amazing. It lets you health funnel when needed without issue. I do not use soul link, its just super bad if you're going to let your pet tank.

For stat weights on solo tanking, I've been using Int >> Hit >>>> (they all suck for damage) Mastery > Haste > Crit

I don't always use Dark Apothesis, for burn fights like 3D sarth I just void lord, blow all cds, pop wild imps, doomguard, etc, and then meta at 1000 and blow the boss apart. For the ones that I do, however, I stay in Dark Apo almost the entire time, pet damage reduction is amazing.

But basically, the point of this thread is that I've found that tanking as Dark Apo is pretty much useless, and its just better to use the voidlord while under the additional armor effects. Dark Apo would be even better if it didn't let soulshatter taunt (condiering it doesn't work on bosses anyway).
    Last edited by Brauhm; 2012-09-22 at 12:18 PM.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

Interesting, still not sure if it compares to aff+voidlord?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauhm View Post
    Dark Apo would be even better if it didn't let soulshatter taunt (condiering it doesn't work on bosses anyway).
    Wait, hold on. Our special glyph, meant for when the tank goes down so we can step in, has a taunt that does NOT work on bosses? *mindblown*

If that's true then they really undermined the usefulness of the glyph.

You are not the first to give testament that DA is actually lackluster and that you're better of letting Voidlord tank. The extra armor bit is a new one though, and very interesting. I suppose it's going to be a careful weighing between needing the extra armor to keep VL up and the extra damage you would do in caster form.

But really, if that Soulshatter taunt doesn't work on bosses I might as well just NOT use the glyph anymore on my regular Demo build. And I hadn't even had the chance to try it yet

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Apotheosis is NOT a DPS spec (neither is it meant to be a full-blown tank spec, it's an off-tank spec which does not qualify it for raid bosses). It increases your threat generated by 500%. On top of which, Dark Apotheosis is really fun, and I use it all the time (mostly for PvP and even tanking some heroics in a pinch with an on-the-ball healer). DA is great, and it serves the purpose it needs to. It's not meant to be a DPS spec for PvE, not now, not ever. That would be like telling a Fury Warrior to go into his Tank stance to increase his damage.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2012-09-22 at 12:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Wait, hold on. Our special glyph, meant for when the tank goes down so we can step in, has a taunt that does NOT work on bosses? *mindblown*
    Yeah our Provocation doesn't work on raid bosses, same with the voidlord's taunt anyway.
    (There's a few WotLK bosses that can be taunted (in ICC or TotC), but I guess all Cata bosses are immune).

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

If that's true then they really undermined the usefulness of the glyph.

You are not the first to give testament that DA is actually lackluster and that you're better of letting Voidlord tank. The extra armor bit is a new one though, and very interesting. I suppose it's going to be a careful weighing between needing the extra armor to keep VL up and the extra damage you would do in caster form.

But really, if that Soulshatter taunt doesn't work on bosses I might as well just NOT use the glyph anymore on my regular Demo build. And I hadn't even had the chance to try it yet
    Well its the combo that I find really interesting. Because poping DA changes my Voidlords defense from 41k to 63k, which is a 10% change in physical damage reduction (60% to 70%) in addition to his void shield, it makes his damage mitigation substantial.

But yeah, I have found absolutely no use for the taunt, I wish it was a threat drop.

---------- Post added 2012-09-22 at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Dark Apotheosis is NOT a DPS spec (neither is it meant to be a full-blown tank spec, it's an off-tank spec which does not qualify it for raid bosses). It increases your threat generated by 500%. On top of which, Dark Apotheosis is really fun, and I use it all the time (mostly for PvP and even tanking some heroics in a pinch with an on-the-ball healer). DA is great, and it serves the purpose it needs to. It's not meant to be a DPS spec for PvE, not now, not ever. That would be like telling a Fury Warrior to go into his Tank stance to increase his damage.
    What... are you talking about? I was never talking about it being a PvE spec nor was I talking about it doing damage. I was purely talking about soloing old bosses and its usefulness to tank bosses which is limited, your pet is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    You didn't read a single word of the thread did ya? :P

All in all, I found DA to be superb for leveling up, at least during the lower levels, when afli and destro suck due to lacking their main core skills. But for soloing, nothing compares to Voidlord and Affli.

I do have one question for the other warlocks.

I noticed something strange on the tooltip of Demonic Slash. It shows much higher damage than it actually does. Tooltip says it deals 12k shadow damage. Yet it only deals 6k. Is this intended? which of the values is supposed to be the real one? the tooltip one? or the cliped one? With Shadowbolt and Touch of Chaos they deal the same damage displayed on the tooltip, so......... yeah =/

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    You didn't read a single word of the thread did ya? :P

All in all, I found DA to be superb for leveling up, at least during the lower levels, when afli and destro suck due to lacking their main core skills. But for soloing, nothing compares to Voidlord and Affli.

I do have one question for the other warlocks.

I noticed something strange on the tooltip of Demonic Slash. It shows much higher damage than it actually does. Tooltip says it deals 12k shadow damage. Yet it only deals 6k. Is this intended? which of the values is supposed to be the real one? the tooltip one? or the cliped one? With Shadowbolt and Touch of Chaos they deal the same damage displayed on the tooltip, so......... yeah =/
    Just tested it and the tooltip IS wrong, it should be half that.

Which is extremely lame tbqh.

Also affliction and voidlord, is it because of the soulburn heath funnel and soul leech? I mean I really do like that too but the 10% reduced damage is just sooo goood as DA ugh, I should try it.

I like soul link when having my pet tank. Twilight ward/fury ward absorb the incoming soul link damage. A nice further reduction for damage, also it is shadow damage so undead / worgen get even more reduction.