When is the correct time to put your new dots up? -boomkin

What the above question is really asking is if it is better to let buffed eclipsed dots run their full course or just refresh both dots right as you enter the new eclipse? What i was finding is that if i let them run their course i end up refreshing the unbuffed dot by the new buffed dot so now i have 2 buffed dots for all of 3-5 seconds and then when the old one falls off i put the unbuffed version up but I also refresh the dot that is from its respective eclipse, this is because it is running out about 2 casts before i enter the eclipse. However if i just put up both dots right as i enter the eclipse [ i am overiding 1 dot by not letting it run its full eclipsed course] i dont have to refresh until the begining of the next eclipse. So is 1 extra global worth the extra 3-5 seconds that i have the eclipsed version of the old eclipsed dot up?
    Last edited by mythiix; 2012-09-23 at 02:06 AM.

No matter how you look at it, you will always spend 2 GCD per eclipse to apply dots, either at start or when the one that was buffed runs out and you apply its unbuffed version. Always overwrite the dot that has just been Eclipsed.

Also never cast dots outside an Eclipse and/or NG. Given their current strength and the speed we rotate Eclipses, it's not worth the globals.

well im spending 3 globals by letting them run their full length because once the old buffed dot falls off i also refresh the other dot as well as putting the unbuffed version up... then add the global for overwriting the buffed dot from its eclipse immediately so there's 3 globals or is it not worth refreshing the one dot and just put the unbuffed one up.

I never had to refresh the buffed one before I exit. Crit takes care of that usually.

Deleted
    Personally I put dots up as soon as I hit eclipse, either solar or lunar. I then just get to the other eclipse asap and reapply. Don't know if that's the absolute best way but I figure it's better than using GCDs for unbuffed dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Personally I put dots up as soon as I hit eclipse, either solar or lunar. I then just get to the other eclipse asap and reapply. Don't know if that's the absolute best way but I figure it's better than using GCDs for unbuffed dots.
    Would the damage increase lunar shower provides to the next direct damage of your dot be greater than the 2-3 extra ticks of the buffed dot minus the damage from 2-3 ticks of an unbuffed dot?

This is assuming you only have a few seconds on the old eclipsed dot.
    Last edited by mythiix; 2012-09-23 at 05:39 PM.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically you apply the buffed DoT as soon as you hit an eclipse. If your DoT isn't buffed, apply it only when it's about to fall off. The exception would be if both are about to fall off at the same time, in which case you would apply the unbuffed DoT first for that stack of Lunar Shower.

My math could be wrong but what i was getting is that if it is under 1.433 seconds it's better to refresh with the unbuffed because the direct damage bonus lunar shower provides would be greater. This however was only if you do the rotation of putting the unbuffed dot and then the buffed one. The difference between those two is the bonus damage of about 500-700. All of this was done while under nature's grace.
    Last edited by mythiix; 2012-09-23 at 05:57 PM.