Pre-5.0.4 Nether Protection question

Nether protection is gone sadly, and I never got around to testing something. The Cataclysm-era Nether Protection worked as such: When you absorbed spell damage via any effects (nether ward, power word shield, whatever), you got -30% damage reduction in damage taken by that school.

What I meant to test was what happens when you get hit with a dual school spell? For example, if I put up a nether ward and get hit with a frostfire bolt. Do I:

1. Acquire only fire or frost protection?

2. Get protection from both fire and frost?

3. Get buffed with protection from only spells that are specifically frostfire damage, like more frostfire bolts or frostfire orb?

Anyone happen to know the answer to this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Nether protection is gone sadly, and I never got around to testing something. The Cataclysm-era Nether Protection worked as such: When you absorbed spell damage via any effects (nether ward, power word shield, whatever), you got -30% damage reduction in damage taken by that school.

What I meant to test was what happens when you get hit with a dual school spell? For example, if I put up a nether ward and get hit with a frostfire bolt. Do I:

1. Acquire only fire or frost protection?

2. Get protection from both fire and frost?

3. Get buffed with protection from only spells that are specifically frostfire damage, like more frostfire bolts or frostfire orb?

Anyone happen to know the answer to this?
    You would receive the damage reduction from both schools.

Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Also, I think if you got hit by a fire spell, and it would proc the fire protection, but it didn't fully use up all the absorption (so the buff was still up) and got by for example a frost spell you would get protection from both schools as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Inshabel View Post
    Also, I think if you got hit by a fire spell, and it would proc the fire protection, but it didn't fully use up all the absorption (so the buff was still up) and got by for example a frost spell you would get protection from both schools as well.
    Yeah, each would show up as a separate 10 second buff. Called something like "Nether Protection: Frost" or some such.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Cool, thanks for satisfying my forlorn curiosity! You're sure about this though?

He's correct, you'd receive protection for both types of damage.

It is indeed sad that this spell is gone, it was so much fun to use against casters.

Deleted
    Solid way to confirm this: Get a mage to shoot at you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Solid way to confirm this: Get a mage to shoot at you.
    How? It's gone. We only have the PvP bonus shield that comes close by being an all spell school shield, but it doesn't give the nether protection OP was asking about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    It's gone.
    That was kinda my point. Why bother wondering about how something used to work, when you have no way of using it again? It would be like asking what the best way to farm Zandalar Tribe rep was. Pointless, since it's impossible now.

That was kinda my point. Why bother wondering about how something used to work, when you have no way of using it again? It would be like asking what the best way to farm Zandalar Tribe rep was. Pointless, since it's impossible now.
    Background knowledge, idle musings, general curiousity.

Bitching about why someone is asking is far dumber than asking to begin with, IMO. At least I got some satisfaction, you on the other wasted your time for nothing, unless you just get off on criticizing people I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Background knowledge, idle musings, general curiousity.
    Pretty much this. Especially as someone who never played before Wrath (and who had Cataclysm talents when his first character was still at level 40), it's sometimes cool to hear of how different things were back in BC let alone Vanilla.

Well...I think that guy is playing on a private server.... That would be a smart way to ask your question.