View Poll Results: How many subs will be cancelled by the end of MoP?

Voters
1131. This poll is closed
  • 0 people will have canceled

316 27.94%
  • Less than 500,000

223 19.72%
  • 500,000 - 1,000,000

188 16.62%
  • 1,000,001 - 2,000,000

156 13.79%
  • 2,000,001 - 3,000,000

90 7.96%
  • More than 3,000,000

158 13.97%
Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

By the end of MoP

Blizzard will lose how many subscriptions?

It's a safe bet they won't gain since they have consistently lost subs following the release of their last expansion. People will leave, we all know this and those of you still playing probably accept it/don't care. It was a good run.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 03:45 PM ----------

Optimistic voting thus far. I will ask that only currently active account holders vote because they have a better sense of the conditions.

As some one that unsubbed back in jan 2011 I will not be voting.

Edit: For those of you wondering why there is a "0 people" option that was added by the moderator Darsithis for any voters that believe MoP will sustain the subscription base.

Also there is no "it will gain subs" option because the empirical data supports the notion that wow has consistently lost subs since mid wrath.
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2012-09-25 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I vote for 0 people having canceled.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    about 500k

Highly unlikely given how capricous gamers are. But please vote.

Deleted
    People will certainly cancel, but I'd think that enough others will rejoin to counter it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Blizzard will lose how many subscriptions?

It's a safe bet they won't gain since they have consistently lost subs following the release of their last expansion. People will leave, we all know this and those of you still playing probably accept it/don't care. It was a good run.[COLOR="red"]
    Is it possible that Cata sucked and people may come back for MOP and stay?
    "Peace is a lie"

Also Darsithis could you please move the option you added to the top of the list for the sake of the order of magnitude.

Ahhh now you have the 0 at the top and the next natural sequence at the bottom.

Fixed it please it drives me insane having this disorder.

Edit: Thank you
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2012-09-24 at 03:56 PM.

Is this the difference from the current number of subscribers, or from the peak of MoP (assuming this will be the number posted from Q3)?

Pulling numbers out of ass sequence initiated:
    2012 Q3 - 11.5M
    2012 Q4 - 10.5M
    2014 Q2/Q3 - 8-8.5M
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-09-24 at 03:56 PM.

Over 3 million. A tiered subscription model with F2P coming during the end of 2013.

Tough to vote since we really have no idea. I'm wild guessing with my vote. Due to all the new content being released, I'm thinking that less people will leave due to "lack of content". However, the game is also aging, so there will be more "bored of game" sub losses.

I wonder how many people vote for the option they actually believe in instead of the option that supports how they personally feel about the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I wonder how many people vote for the option they actually believe in instead of the option that supports how they personally feel about the game.
    That's the same thing. I personally feel none. I've been through parts of the beta as have almost all of the mods and my entire 25 man raid team. Every single one loved it. They love it. They think it's amazing and it's just where WoW needed to go to stem the losses from Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I vote for 0 people having canceled.
    I'm with you Dars
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Highly unlikely given how capricous gamers are. But please vote.
    ca·pri·cious/kəˈpriSHəs/
    Adjective:
    Given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior.

Why even start this thread? We'll probably just change our minds by the time we're reading the second page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    No option for gains in subs. Wether or not it's even possible for such an old game to start growing again, it just reeks of subtle "The game is dying"

May I say that I think this thread is slightly biased?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read a post last night wondering why anyone cares about subscription numbers. I have some sympathy for that. Since I have no idea at all what the answer to the poll should be my hope is that whatever happens I will have a good time, concentrate on the game and think less about things like this.

I think it will lose some subscribers though. The MMO market points that direction so I voted for 500K-1000K. No real idea though and not too sure I actually care.

To all, have fun and see you on the other side.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Muertt View Post
    ca·pri·cious/kəˈpriSHəs/
    Adjective:
    Given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior.

Why even start this thread? We'll probably just change our minds by the time we're reading the second page.
    Why?

Because you've learned a new word today.

Your welcome :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's the same thing. I personally feel none. I've been through parts of the beta as have almost all of the mods and my entire 25 man raid team. Every single one loved it. They love it. They think it's amazing and it's just where WoW needed to go to stem the losses from Cata.
    What? It's not remotely the same thing. You can love the game and still believe that it will suffer massive losses, or hate the game and still believe that subscriptions will remain stable. I'm questioning people's ability to seperate the two!

Deleted
    why there are only sunscribers loses? I think WoW will grow in MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously some losses are inevitable as some people will try it and move on to other things. Due to the age of the game (and the fact that, at this point, almost everyone who ever wanted to try WoW already has) I doubt there will every be enough new players again to balance it out. I think modest decline will be normal.

How much loss will really depend on the later patches.

If the game ends up like Cataclysm with weaker and briefer content patches, the losses might be more significant as even more established players get bored and apathetic and take off.

But if the game can keep up the quality and amount of content that we're getting in the expansion launch, I think it will slow sub losses dramatically. We saw big drop offs in Cataclysm because there really wasn't enough to do end-game and the game can no longer sustain itself on novelty alone, like it did in classic. I'd like to think Blizzard learned from Cataclysm and that we will be getting more content and larger raids.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |