Poll: Does this excite you?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If Blizzard takes a reproach with some self-respect, Turalyon will be Alliance, and Alleria will be neutral, because she would be such a meager and two dimensional character if she just immediately took the Alliance's version of events as sacred and decided her home nation was Eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil. Lore couples routinely straddle the faction/alignment divide without needing to break up, so this would be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUnbreakableFace View Post
    I hope Turalyon will be factioned as Alliance. He was a really important lore character, and an strong High General of the Alliance, one of the first five Silver Hand paladins. But something about his nature worries me that he probably gonna be neutral, and won't spank some horde ass:

"Turalyon is a kind and gentle soul who only wishes the world to be at peace. His innocence and understanding personality allow him to see through people for who they truly are. An example would be his friendship with Khadgar, as wizards were often discriminated against by holy orders. He has no special hatred for his enemies either and is very merciful: he refused to kill Doomhammer even when the warchief killed Lothar whom Turalyon admired very much. However, when innocent lives were threatened Turalyon's passive nature changed to that of a determined avenger"
    -Wowwiki

Please don't make him an all peace loving, neutral guy.
    He didn't kill Doomhammer because he wanted him to stand trial and acknowledge his full defeat, not because he was merciful... right after, he told the rest of the Horde army that they were about to be slaughtered
    Edit: Also anyone who read their books would know they will never be neutral; Turalyon lost Lothar and Alleria lost Quel'thalas because of the orcs
    Last edited by kyorai; 2012-09-25 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    If Blizzard takes a reproach with some self-respect, Turalyon will be Alliance, and Alleria will be neutral, because she would be such a meager and two dimensional character if she just immediately took the Alliance's version of events as sacred and decided her home nation was Eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil. Lore couples routinely straddle the faction/alignment divide without needing to break up, so this would be no different.
    What would making her neutral accomplish?
    We have a character who hates the Horde. She has no reason to work with them as part of a neutral party. She doesn't have to see the Blood Elves as evil but at the same time she can't ignore what Lor'themar and numerous other Blood Elves did was wrong, and add to that what they did to the rest of their kin.

She isn't suddenly going to abandon her people and her allies and go neutral. All that would be accomplished is creating yet another neutral character's who's actions and allegiance are heavily favoured by one faction which defeats the point of neutrality. Except because of her obvious stance on the Horde she wouldn't be "neutral", she'd be a High Elf who only aids the Alliance yet for some reason isn't a part of it even though her people are part of it, she's married to the High General of the Alliance and has been fighting for them for years.

Everything about her points towards her being an Alliance character. There is no reason why she can't be an Alliance character who wants to bridge the gap between High and Blood Elf relations, but making her neutral just doesn't make any sense and makes the High and Blood Elf relations seem rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    What would making her neutral accomplish?
    We have a character who hates the Horde.
    She hates the Horde because she loved Quel'thalas, is the part of this you are not giving much thought. The Blood Elves aren't some strange and different other, they are her people, her nation, the bulk of it. And while they've gone through some low points and ordeals, and would probably have serious complaints, it is myopic and flawed to assume "she hates the Horde" trumps "she loves her own country". Her loyalty was to Quel'thalas, to the Sunstrider monarchy; both her loyalty to the Alliance of the time and hatred of the Horde of the time were outgrowths of that fact.

Everything about her points towards her being an Alliance character. There is no reason why she can't be an Alliance character who wants to bridge the gap between High and Blood Elf relations, but making her neutral just doesn't make any sense and makes the High and Blood Elf relations seem rigid.
    The only thing that points to her being an Alliance character would be "because she's an elven fetish trophy bride who will just go with whatever her husband wants". We already have one of those with the youngest Windrunner, don't need to waste the oldest on it, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    She hates the Horde because she loved Quel'thalas, is the part of this you are not giving much thought. The Blood Elves aren't some strange and different other, they are her people, her nation, the bulk of it. And while they've gone through some low points and ordeals, and would probably have serious complaints, it is myopic and flawed to assume "she hates the Horde" trumps "she loves her own country". Her loyalty was to Quel'thalas, to the Sunstrider monarchy; both her loyalty to the Alliance of the time and hatred of the Horde of the time were outgrowths of that fact.
    Yet not all her people are Blood Elves. Those Blood Elves that live in Quel'thelas betrayed her people by casting them out because they objected to siphoning magic. They then allied themselves with the same people Alleria had been fighting for years and threatened her homeland, we all know she hates Orcs with a passion. On top of this we have an Undead faction of her former allies and kinsman who are plague bombing her allies and raising them into undeath by her own insane sisters orders, who also attacked her living kinsman.

Sounds like she'd get on well. *sarcasm*

Making her neutral accomplishes nothing and makes her a highly ambiguous character who's all over the place in her allegiance in a way that doesn't make any sense given her past. Not to mention that High Elves need some lore considering how they're been left to gather dust for so long.

She can strive for unity and understanding amongst her people, but she doesn't have to be neutral to do it. Vereesa's appearance in Zul'aman is an example of the two cooperating without forfeiting their colours.

The only thing that points to her being an Alliance character would be "because she's an elven fetish trophy bride who will just go with whatever her husband wants". We already have one of those with the youngest Windrunner, don't need to waste the oldest on it, too.
    Great she's fighting for her loved ones and her people who were thrown out for objecting to conform to a depraved idea, isn't the first point why she started fighting in the first place?
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-09-25 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    BlizzplanetIt also means lots and lots of Sin'dorei / Quel'dorei lore due to the return of one of the Windrunner sisters, so blood elves and forsaken - rejoice!
    Even if we'll see some elven quest hubs or dungeons in this possible expansion, we'll just see new content, not lore. We had a lot of troll dungeons. But troll lore?
    Last edited by Kiraser; 2012-09-25 at 05:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
    Even if we'll see some elven quest hubs or dungeons in this possible expansion, we'll just see new content, not lore. We had a lot of troll dungeons. But troll lore?
    Well lore is told through content isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    I think you mean Quel'dorei lore.

Edit: Yes, I've been looking forward to this moment. Though, I pray they don't mess it up by making them neutral or something.
    ^^^

And yes, more Quel'dorei lore. Sin'dorei lore...hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Yet not all her people are Blood Elves. Those Blood Elves that live in Quel'thelas betrayed her people by casting them out because they objected to siphoning magic. They then allied themselves with the same people Alleria had been fighting for years and threatened her homeland, we all know she hates Orcs with a passion. On top of this we have an Undead faction of her former allies and kinsman who are plague bombing her allies and raising them into undeath by her own insane sisters orders, who also attacked her living kinsman.

Sounds like she'd get on well. *sarcasm*

Making her neutral accomplishes nothing and makes her a highly ambiguous character who's all over the place in her allegiance in a way that doesn't make any sense given her past. Not to mention that High Elves need some lore considering how they're been left to gather dust for so long.

She can strive for unity and understanding amongst her people, but she doesn't have to be neutral to do it. Vereesa's appearance in Zul'aman is an example of the two cooperating without forfeiting their colours.

Great she's fighting for her loved ones and her people who were thrown out for objecting to conform to a depraved idea, isn't the first point why she started fighting in the first place?
    Her people are the ones that had the depraved idea... born of desperation and a sense of total abandonment by any residual allegiance between old allies, and then validated by antagonistic behavior by those same old allies (i.e. sabotage and espionage in Eversong and Ghostlands before the Sin'dorei ever formally join the Horde). Some of her people, the minority of her people, were the ones who up and expatriated because they didn't like it. Alleria Windrunner is assumed to be someone who wouldn't have followed Kael'thas... why? She was a zealous nationalist and pretty unrelenting/obsessive about defending her country, but you suppose she would have stood on a principle that would have left Quel'thalas more vulnerable to the Amani, or to remnant Scourge? I question that, I question that quite a bit. She seems a fire-with-fire persona.

There is simply no believable perspective by which she goes first to Stormwind, hear's one version of what the hell happened, and just straps on a Stormwind tabard without ever once having walked up to Halduron, Lor'themar, and Rommath to get their version of things. And I don't think she could actually listen to their answers and feel no sympathy or understanding and perhaps even a little disdain for the few who could just turn their back on Quel'thalas so easily at its darkest hour.

We've got Sylvanas in red, Vereesa in blue... there's no real mystery about where Alleria makes the most sense; in yellow.

can we please have a real source?

He also revealed they have plans for Turalyon and Alleria in the next expansion after Mists of Pandaria. Sargeras plans somewhen in the future.
    isn't really that trustworthy as a source.

Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    Well lore is told through content isn't it?
    I agree with this. With new content we get new stories and therefore new lore. But we don't get a lot of backstory. And troll dungeons are good example of this rule. We saw new characters, new plot twists and that's all. Have we seen any lore about troll tribes, loa, shadow hunters? Nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Her people are the ones that had the depraved idea... born of desperation and a sense of total abandonment by any residual allegiance between old allies, and then validated by antagonistic behavior by those same old allies (i.e. sabotage and espionage in Eversong and Ghostlands before the Sin'dorei ever formally join the Horde). Some of her people, the minority of her people, were the ones who up and expatriated because they didn't like it. Alleria Windrunner is assumed to be someone who wouldn't have followed Kael'thas... why? She was a zealous nationalist and pretty unrelenting/obsessive about defending her country, but you suppose she would have stood on a principle that would have left Quel'thalas more vulnerable to the Amani, or to remnant Scourge? I question that, I question that quite a bit. She seems a fire-with-fire persona.

There is simply no believable perspective by which she goes first to Stormwind, hear's one version of what the hell happened, and just straps on a Stormwind tabard without ever once having walked up to Halduron, Lor'themar, and Rommath to get their version of things. And I don't think she could actually listen to their answers and feel no sympathy or understanding and perhaps even a little disdain for the few who could just turn their back on Quel'thalas so easily at its darkest hour.

We've got Sylvanas in red, Vereesa in blue... there's no real mystery about where Alleria makes the most sense; in yellow.
    Right she returns and find her people scattered. But this doesn't mean she goes neutral.
    You're acting as she will be neutral just because she feels empathy for one side of her people. If she is neutral she will be cooperating with Orcs and people serving her Undead sister which obviously makes no sense.

The fact she was proud of her people doesn't suddenly mean she'll sympathise with Blood Elves. To the High Elves the siphoning of magic was almost and aberration of their proud race and seen as a betrayal of their people. Those who didn't agree were exiled, they didn't simply pack up and leave.

Again, there is no reason for her to go neutral when she can remain a part of a faction and still try to mend the bonds with both sides of her kinsmen. She can walk up to Blood Elves and discuss their social issues like Vareesa did, but for her to be neutral would be a step too far as at that point she's expected to work with other Horde races that aren't Blood Elf.

This whole neutrality deal Blizzard have tried to hamfist onto characters needs to stop. The fact there are people encouraging it is concerning.

You mention how characters with a partner have pulled it off in the past. Well that worked because they joined a neutral faction temporarily, or were still a part of their parent faction. Alleria can't do that. There is no neutral organisation for her join in the same way Malfurion did while leaving Tyrande in charge, also note how Malfurion was still and Alliance leader.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-09-25 at 06:51 PM.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This could create some very interesting story. Alleria hasn't any knowledge of the Third War or how blood elves are blood elves or about her sister, Sylvanas etc.

Will she return to her people or remain with her husband, Turalyon, and thus become a traitor to her kingdom of Quel'Thalas?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I'd probably come back for this. Even if it is after a 3.5~ year hiatus, depending on how long MoP is out. Depending on how Blizzard approaches content updates and such this expansion (if they try and speed things up like what Trion Worlds Inc does with Rift) and if I get an income, I could see myself playing both.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    They'll be neutral, obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more excited about Legion content and hopefully hopefully (crosses fingers) hopefully a long holiday on Argus.

I'd be excited, but I'm almost certain they're going to be neutral.

The Alliance isn't allowed to have heroes, you see.

Don't get too excited, Metzen will just make them neutral like he did to all the other Alliance heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    This could create some very interesting story. Alleria hasn't any knowledge of the Third War or how blood elves are blood elves or about her sister, Sylvanas etc.

Will she return to her people or remain with her husband, Turalyon, and thus become a traitor to her kingdom of Quel'Thalas?
    Well, High Elves see all Blood Elves as traitors, so I guess it'll be interesting.

Though, again, I'm almost certain they'll be neutral.

Deleted
    I have been always amazed by the Windrunner's history, specially Sylvannas', can't wait to see what will happen to her on this matter!