View Poll Results: How many subs will be cancelled by the end of MoP?

Voters
1131. This poll is closed
  • 0 people will have canceled

316 27.94%
  • Less than 500,000

223 19.72%
  • 500,000 - 1,000,000

188 16.62%
  • 1,000,001 - 2,000,000

156 13.79%
  • 2,000,001 - 3,000,000

90 7.96%
  • More than 3,000,000

158 13.97%
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My friend told me that he is going to cancel after MoP. So it is definitely more than zero!

Picked less than 500,000.

Deleted
    There will be Titan to catch those who have canceled. And the last wow expansion will be pure fun for those which are loyal.

But Titan WILL get us all.

Deleted
    Okay, so having played it, I think that honestly they will gain subs or just break even...

It just...
    It's fucking brilliant.
    Anyone who wants to quit hasn't actually played it yet or was probably burnt out on WoW anyway.
    The dungeons are epic (can't wait to do the challenge modes), pet battles are actually hard and fun, the questing is far better, and the raiding is looking amazing (can't speak for PvP).

All my opinion, but I have the feeling sometimes that people who have quit WoW come to these forums with the sole intent to clog up the forums with "lol I don't like it".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    Why would you uninstall? They will go F2P some day, they already said they would. I wish I could find the quote, but it basically said once Titan released, they forsee WoW going F2P, especially if they keep losing subscribers. Blizzard isn't stupid, they know they will have to adapt to survive. They are looking at the MMO market right now, and they realize they are the only one who can successfully keep a subscription right now, as MMO's are trending toward F2P or B2P. WoW will not be subscription based forever, it's just not feasible. Would you rather they shut down the game all together when they reach a certain number of subscribers, or adapt to subscription-free model with a cash shop to maintain the game? The latter is the best choice, and Blizzard already has a plan set for when it comes to that. It is probably several years away, but they are aware of it and ready.
    My guess is if they lose another million during MoP (unlikely, but possible), they'll probably shift toward a tiered sub approach like TOR's doing once Titan hits shelves; that, or the Turbine approach where you can buy what content interests you instead of paying a sub that includes content that goes to waste on your account because it holds no interest for you.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just think its interesting how much different these poll results would have looked if asked about a month ago, when there isn't new content.
    -- i7 4770k @4.3Ghz | GSKILL Trident 16GB 2400 | GTX 780ti SLI | 1TB Samsung EVO 840 | Maxumus VII Hero Z97 --

Deleted
    It's kind of inaccurate for the poll to say 'people that cancelled' if the poll is to determine what sub losses people think blizz will have and I think most people voted according to that.

I think it's pretty sure that by the end of MoP they'll have increased their sub count but there will still be certain losses so that is why I voted less than 500,000

Amazing expansion in every way, this expansion for a 8 year old game has successfully dragged me away from EVERYTHING I planned to play on the side. I struggle to focus on what to do since there's just so much, I've hit 86 and barely scratched the new storylines, pet battles are amazing good fun and I haven't set foot in a dungeon since I don't want to gain XP. In Cata all I did was level to 85 in less than 2 days (didn't rush, just no-lifing) and then level alts/finish solo stuff until I got into a raid group later on. My only reason for browsing these forums now is that my own interwebz is down due to ISP maintenance.

Appearantly, no matter how you people doomsay and argue about this game, Blizzard still has tons of love and redemption to give for the lackluster that was Cata. If they don't gain subs and hit 12 million again? Fine with me. I highly doubt though that this expansion will see the losses of Cata simply because now there's actual content to do that's not only instanced or for people enjoying leveling alts 1-60.

Also, at the end of expansions, some people ALWAYS unsub and then come back. It's impossible to know who leaves the game forever. Only Blizzard sits on that information I'd say.

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 02:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    Okay, so having played it, I think that honestly they will gain subs or just break even...

It just...
    It's fucking brilliant.
    Anyone who wants to quit hasn't actually played it yet or was probably burnt out on WoW anyway.
    The dungeons are epic (can't wait to do the challenge modes), pet battles are actually hard and fun, the questing is far better, and the raiding is looking amazing (can't speak for PvP).

All my opinion, but I have the feeling sometimes that people who have quit WoW come to these forums with the sole intent to clog up the forums with "lol I don't like it".
    They suffer the ex-girlfriend/boyfrend syndrome, and the fact that this game can bring that out of some people just proves how amazing it is really.

Your avatar is amazing by the way.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-09-26 at 02:42 PM.

I see a loss between 1 to 2 million at least.

I don't see this expansion retaining customers for any real length of time unless it gets some major changes in the next many patches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Amazing expansion in every way, this expansion for a 8 year old game has successfully dragged me away from EVERYTHING I planned to play on the side. I struggle to focus on what to do since there's just so much, I've hit 86 and barely scratched the new storylines, pet battles are amazing good fun and I haven't set foot in a dungeon since I don't want to gain XP. In Cata all I did was level to 85 in less than 2 days (didn't rush, just no-lifing) and then level alts/finish solo stuff until I got into a raid group later on. My only reason for browsing these forums now is that my own interwebz is down due to ISP maintenance.

Appearantly, no matter how you people doomsay and argue about this game, Blizzard still has tons of love and redemption to give for the lackluster that was Cata. If they don't gain subs and hit 12 million again? Fine with me. I highly doubt though that this expansion will see the losses of Cata simply because now there's actual content to do that's not only instanced or for people enjoying leveling alts 1-60.

Also, at the end of expansions, some people ALWAYS unsub and then come back. It's impossible to know who leaves the game forever. Only Blizzard sits on that information I'd say.

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 02:41 PM ----------

They suffer the ex-girlfriend/boyfrend syndrome, and the fact that this game can bring that out of some people just proves how amazing it is really.

Your avatar is amazing by the way.
    I think so to. ;D

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I see a loss between 1 to 2 million at least.

I don't see this expansion retaining customers for any real length of time unless it gets some major changes in the next many patches.
    And what changes do you propose?
    More content?
    More stuff to do at max level?
    Bigger raid tiers?

Oh wait. herp

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    OP tries to assert that the majority of lost subs in Wrath didn't come from ICC lasting a year.

OP tries to assert that the majority of lost subs overall didn't happen because Cataclysm started out overtuned and continued with extremely weak patches until 4.3--which began losing when it stretched into its second-nearing-third fiscal quarter and several high-profile releases hit shelves after completely stemming the flow at first.

OP tries to extrapolate, that based on player burnout from overlong content patches and a poorly-designed endgame in the following expansion, the expansion that has had an overwhelmingly-positive ingame response will cause massive sub bleeds.

Oh, his name's "Oldschoolwow." No bias here, I'm sure.
    I will dignify this with a response even though I am not typically in the habit of feeding the trolls.

You present an interesting argument. You use mostly accurate evidence to make a well thought out assessment. However, where your argument fails is your over reliance on what you hypothesize as the reason for the mass exodus, over tuned, burned out, etc. You assume that those impediments may be overcome by this "new" content. I disagree. WoW has entered the final stage of the product life cycle and there's really only one direction the numbers are headed long term. I would. It be surprised to see a small resurgence initially it will not be sustained. The numbers don't lie.

So go ahead and extrapolate something empirical that says the accepted data proving the numbers are declining are wrong.

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 02:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    OP tries to assert that the majority of lost subs in Wrath didn't come from ICC lasting a year.

OP tries to assert that the majority of lost subs overall didn't happen because Cataclysm started out overtuned and continued with extremely weak patches until 4.3--which began losing when it stretched into its second-nearing-third fiscal quarter and several high-profile releases hit shelves after completely stemming the flow at first.

OP tries to extrapolate, that based on player burnout from overlong content patches and a poorly-designed endgame in the following expansion, the expansion that has had an overwhelmingly-positive ingame response will cause massive sub bleeds.

Oh, his name's "Oldschoolwow." No bias here, I'm sure.
    I will dignify this with a response even though I am not typically in the habit of feeding the trolls.

You present an interesting argument. You use mostly accurate evidence to make a well thought out assessment. However, where your argument fails is your over reliance on what you hypothesize as the reason for the mass exodus, over tuned, burned out, etc. You assume that those impediments may be overcome by this "new" content. I disagree. WoW has entered the final stage of the product life cycle and there's really only one direction the numbers are headed long term. I would. It be surprised to see a small resurgence initially it will not be sustained. The numbers don't lie.

So go ahead and extrapolate something empirical that says the accepted data proving the numbers are declining are wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 02:53 PM ----------

I don't mean to troll, but I honestly have no idea what you just said. And I'm pretty decent at English myself.
    Sounding over-intelligent doesn't win you arguments.

And what changes do you propose?
    More content?
    More stuff to do at max level?
    Bigger raid tiers?

Oh wait. herp
    To be honest I dont think changes that would skyrocket WoW subs up to 15mln and above are possible. Well maybe if they would lower the sub cost to 1$ lol but that is not something I see as reasonable. Simply put, there is nothing reasonable that Blizzard can do at this point. Even if WoW is the best game ever made (and mind you that I regard WoW's past as phenomenal) it still gets old at some point. The same point where level of drops of veteran burnt-out players starts to be high enough that gains in new demographics cant replace it. Besides, nothing can grow forever. Same reason why we start to have issues with all the economic crysis. It just grew too much and its harder and harder to sustain it.

I don't mean to troll, but I honestly have no idea what you just said. And I'm pretty decent at English myself.
    Sounding over-intelligent doesn't win you arguments.
    Couldn't really do a tldr while at work on my phone so in a nutshell. Note to apple the 5 is still too small.

He lists the reasons why people left and is correct but he thinks this "overwhelmingly positive ingame response" will steady the ship.

If anything wow is following the product life cycle exactly as predicted. The numbers will still decline no matter how "overwhelmingly positive" the current users are at this moment in time.

If my argument seemed confusing I apologize for losing you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    There will be Titan to catch those who have canceled.
    At this stage, it wouldn't matter if Blizz made WoW 2.0, as trust is lost with the publisher and devs.

When that happens (like what happened with SOE) players don't come back.

There needs to be a rapport between the company and the players. If the company is arrogant (resting on it's laurels via relying on the brand to sell it) players will look at that company as used car salesmen and look elsewhere.

After that Diablo 3 dev dissing dev incident it showed me if they can't even get along with their own, how can they with gamers? It's no wonder why WoW's forums have such nastiness, it had to be bred somewhere. No wonder why whole dev teams left Activision-Blizzard enmasse.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    At this stage, it wouldn't matter if Blizz made WoW 2.0, as trust is lost with the publisher and devs.

When that happens (like what happened with SOE) players don't come back.

There needs to be a rapport between the company and the players. If the company is arrogant (resting on it's laurels via relying on the brand to sell it) players will look at that company as used car salesmen and look elsewhere.

After that Diablo 3 dev dissing dev incident it showed me if they can't even get along with their own, how can they with gamers? It's no wonder why WoW's forums have such nastiness, it had to be bred somewhere. No wonder why whole dev teams left Activision-Blizzard enmasse.
    I don't think it's possible for that many people to really lose trust with Blizzard. If they released Titan tomorrow I'd buy it.. why? Because it's been in development for 5+ years and they haven't said a word about it. The fact that there's zero hype from the outset means they're hiding something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    I don't think it's possible for that many people to really lose trust with Blizzard. If they released Titan tomorrow I'd buy it.. why? Because it's been in development for 5+ years and they haven't said a word about it. The fact that there's zero hype from the outset means they're hiding something.
    Or they just don't have anything concrete to show yet. Logic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    Or they just don't have anything concrete to show yet. Logic.
    You know it's been playable for quite a while right p:

Deleted
    You know it's been playable for quite a while right p:
    Doesn't mean they have anything worth showing or talking about.

I wish they would keep quiet about Titan, then release a teaser trailer with release date. Completely left in the dark. That way people wouldn't know what to expect and in that way no haters/diehard lovers.

I think this poll is highly innacurate because i personally find that 0 subs lost is not realistic.

I bought diablo 3 and Mists. I will think really long and hard before i buy ANY other blizzard game.