Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Human storyline.. subpar? (some spoilers)

Having played humans for while - I'm wildly disappointed..by their storyline.
    Does other races have this "problem"? I havent really had change to do other races past intro so i cant really comment on those.
    Tho my friend took me into some charr story stuff and it seemed way more intresting on both story and mechanics (stealthy "dont get near aggro range" and some war conspiracy or something..seemed much more intresting than naive goodie-good human with snore politics)

This is first time in ANY mmo I've played when I literally want to punch my own character for being so stupidly naive.
    I dont get it. Cant I have any choice here? Cant it be so black and white?
    It seems way too black and white with hardly any depth and choppy stories.

Heres examples (dont have to read if you have done some of the human storyline).
    My first char was human necromancer. I picked ferocity, thinking shes evil or brutish.
    Raised on streets, missing sister and so forth..would make her tough girl who is uses ferocity, right?

-In the intro shes already going "I must save villagers, I must help those who cant help themselves ^__^" - first "ugh" at start of the game.
    -Later on my character has to go snitching to guard general about my friend being "in wrong hoods". So my in the streets raised person who has 2 best friends in thief-guild goes to guards saying that shes worried that they get in trouble ó_o
    -After saving my friends I had to make choice, either save "lots of innocent people!" or "my best friend, who was annoyingly naive and appeared 3 times total for few sentences". What kinda choice is that?! Didnt really feel attached to my friend so might as well save "hundreds of people".
    -Dont wanna do every single annoying part but after that the story is all over the place anyway, storylines you picked at start are not attached anyway and ends in cliffhangers. Full of boring politics, naive goodie good stuff or just "well I didn't see that one coming! /rolleyes"

After that I tried noble storyline, and it made nobles as "money throwing charity workers, helping the poor! Being rich is duty! Thief charity worker, how cool is that". After few quests I gave up and went just sPvP fully ;s

Heres what my friend had, hes comments on the story part:
    -"say you dont happen to know about bunch of other thiefs (that your friend works with) might be robbing something from someone soon?"
    "Yes sir they plan to rob the pharmacy right this night!"
    What in the world? You are meant to be thief, not get your friend in jail.
    And what happened before that too even. In thiefs HIDEOUT
    Talking with my BEST THIEFING FRIEND: "wish you well man"
    "you too bro"
    walk outside of said HIDEOUT and a guard was waiting for me
    "General wants to talk to you"
    "RIGTH AWAY I MUST DO GOOD"
    Needless to say my friend, and I quote, instantly deleted hes human thief and made another race for it.

How important is the main story anyway, dont really feel like doing it after this :V
    I might be spoiled little bit by swtor but I didnt expect it to have similiar story-elements into it. But good heavens I say, this is just..
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2012-09-26 at 11:54 PM.

personal story is completely optional

Deleted
    I don't think it's just humans, all personal storylines are awfully lackluster. My main's a Sylvari thief, and I was hoping for some choice of personality there. But alas; my thief turns out be a complete SAINT. And as you said; awfully naive. Oh well, still enjoying the game a lot in other ways so I don't really mind that much... though it could be much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the storylines are subpar. They'd barely count as B movie quality.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    All the storylines are subpar. They'd barely count as B movie quality.
    Agreed, this was the one point in GW2 that was poorly developed

I mean your third option is that you regret not joining the circus, after that i took the storyline as comedy only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Agreed, this was the one point in GW2 that was poorly developed
    Honestly, it's true of most video games.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Honestly, it's true of most video games.
    Well thats partially because in a videogame your supposed to be the single protagonist and that easily makes stories cheesy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    personal story is completely optional
    Well I assumed so. You can level in many other ways too. (again, small spoilers) But if I want to do the "big fights" do I have to do this thing as well? Or does it give different story all together when you go to zone X or level Y

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, I found I actually liked them for my human.
    Then again I was playing an engineer who was trying to get away from her shady past to help people so the storyline sort of fit her perfectly.
    The one that I don't like at all is the norn in general, and the iron legion.
    I wound up going with a char guardian who is amazing at making guns, but cannot really use one for anything.
    However that didn't work because later there were bundles that had me use a gun which killed that idea =_=
    so I deleted her.
    Other than norn and charr though I have relatively enjoyed them all.

None of them are all that great. Asura has probably the most relevant story to what you actually pick. Sylvari barely even use the Green Knight or White Stag(especially the former), and you never figure out what the shield of the moon is. It just lies on a table when you walk into the home instance once. With Norn they just threw the drunken brawl thing in your face at 14 after you spend every previous quest hunting svanir. Not sure what the blood legion story is really about, then Skelington had to hunt a treasure chest with his goons because his papa was a swell guy.

The part of the story related to what race you are and what options you pick end at 19 or 21 when everyone's merge together into the orders.

At least they give a lot of experience and fancy rewards.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-09-26 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Well I assumed so. You can level in many other ways too. (again, small spoilers) But if I want to do the "big fights" do I have to do this thing as well? Or does it give different story all together when you go to zone X or level Y
    Not sure the question here but the personal story is pretty irrelevant to the rest of the world. All it does is provide a bit of context to the world that you explore and fight in. You won't be missing any big fights by skipping it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Not sure the question here but the personal story is pretty irrelevant to the rest of the world. All it does is provide a bit of context to the world that you explore and fight in. You won't be missing any big fights by skipping it.
    Ah, I just thought the long "30 min dragon fights" were part of personal story and you could only see them in story-mode.
    If you dont have to do personal story for those I might as well leave it :P

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    The part of the story related to what race you are and what options you pick end at 19 or 21 when everyone's merge together into the orders.

At least they give a lot of experience and fancy rewards.
    Oh great. At least I dont have to level up to 21+ to get into that.
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2012-09-26 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Ah, I just thought the long "30 min dragon fights" were part of personal story and you could only see them in story-mode.
    If you dont have to do personal story for those I might as well leave it :P
    Well the exception might be the Zhaitan fight. I'm pretty sure you have to go through all of the personal story for that particular one. I haven't done it myself but going by what a lot of people have been saying, you won't miss much if you skip it.

Storylines are boring!!! Thank Jebus for everything else in this game.
    I'm still thinking about it...

10+ Year Old Account
    The storylines and dialogue are painfully bad. I have wanted to skip the dialogue so many times. I'm not sure what happened there.

10+ Year Old Account
    My number one problem with the story was that it kept assuming I cared.
    It just tossed "old friends" and "allegiances" at me, like I was supposed to care because the game said I should.
    I cared more for the random orphans I rescued than my supposed friends or the queen.
    I reached the part where I'm going to join the Priory, and that's a bit more fun, since they have motives I can share, other than mindless loyalty. The stuff my character says does make him sound too stupid to join the priory.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    My number one problem with the story was that it kept assuming I cared.
    It just tossed "old friends" and "allegiances" at me, like I was supposed to care because the game said I should.
    I cared more for the random orphans I rescued than my supposed friends or the queen.
    I reached the part where I'm going to join the Priory, and that's a bit more fun, since they have motives I can share, other than mindless loyalty. The stuff my character says does make him sound too stupid to join the priory.
    Exactly why I say it's B level. It tells you that you should care, rather than giving you real reasons to care.

My biggest complaint, as was mentioned earlier, is the lack of depth.

I've done noble/lost sister, and common/dead parents so far, and there seems to be a lot of the story that just miraculously shows up (especially with the dead parents option). It also doesn't really flow from one section to the other. 5 quests and one choice is done, then the next just shows up out of nowhere.

The part with the orders was ok. Trahearne could have been interesting if it wasn't for his magic bag of tricks that allowed him to know someone or have something for every situation that came up.

Charr storyline is also horrifyingly bad. I had a Charr thief so naturally I picked the stealthy sneaky Ash legion for my starting package. At the start everything was fine and dandy doing missions for the Ash tribune. However, as the story progressed my char hung out with the Blood legion tribune and ANet's favourite furry Rytlock Brimstone and did less and less for the Ash legion until finally I simply never hear from them again. What a load of horse doody.