Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Former WoW player looking into Guild Wars 2

I want to play an MMO again and when I saw the graphics and character mechanics (no tanks and healers) pf Guild Wars I started to get exited.
    However, since I don't know a lot about Guild WArs 2, I am afraid of 2 things:
    1. is there enough end game content comparable to WoW
    2. is there arena type PvP comparable to WoW.

1. Although not hardcore and hating the word I am quite competitive and although in a low populated realm I enjoyed being in the guild with best progression and having the the highest dps and healing and the satisfaction of a first kill on a new boss.
    My concern is that being a non subscription game the content will soon just end(get boring) and and they won't release new raids/bosses (or dynamic events or whatever the name in guild wars)
    2. From what I read World vs World is kinda like battleground and while this would certainly be enjoyable I am also interested in PvP in smaller teams like 2v2 and 3v3 where indivudual abilities are also quite important (not only teamwork, although of course teamwork is king again).

A consider myself a PvP and PvE player since I enjoy both almost equally. So both of them are really important to me.
    Thank you in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    1. The entire game is kind of like end game. Meaning if you are level 80 and you want to finish a level 15 zone, you get scaled down to level 15 so you can complete it. So the game is somewhat consistent throughout. There are explorable modes of dungeons which might be comparable to heroic dungeons but you can do them before 80. They are WAY easier at 80 however. The content becoming boring has been a concern of mine as well and I do miss the raiding etc you see in WoW.
    2. There is Structured PVP which might be the closest thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be careful to make sure this thread doesn't turn into a game vs. game thread.

If you're coming from WoW looking for a replacement for WoW this is not what you want. The entire game is the endgame, so what you're doing at level 1 is what you're going to be doing at level 80, only in a different zone. Raiding doesn't exist. Dynamic events award you with gold, experience, and karma, which you use to purchase gear. As for PvP, the movement is so clunky and everyone has such a small movepool that I don't ever see it being as competitive as WoW's arena.

If you're looking for a replacement this isn't it. I treat this game like a single player RPG and haven't been disappointed; if you're looking to be a hardcore raider or a PvP gladiator you won't find it here.

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    If you're coming from WoW looking for a replacement for WoW this is not what you want. The entire game is the endgame, so what you're doing at level 1 is what you're going to be doing at level 80, only in a different zone. Raiding doesn't exist. Dynamic events award you with gold, experience, and karma, which you use to purchase gear. As for PvP, the movement is so clunky and everyone has such a small movepool that I don't ever see it being as competitive as WoW's arena.

If you're looking for a replacement this isn't it. I treat this game like a single player RPG and haven't been disappointed; if you're looking to be a hardcore raider or a PvP gladiator you won't find it here.
    While I think you are being a little hard on the PvP, I've never encountered too many issues myself, as of right now their is a distinct lack of endgame. I have no doubt that they will add/fix more as time goes on, but you do not pick up a game for what you expect to see in the future.

I already own Guild Wars 2 and I am loving it. So long as ArenaNet continues to make changes to the PvP, and add more content to the PvE, I'll be satisfied. As it stands right now though, the game is definitely worth its $60.

That is just me though.

I agree that it's fun and definitely worth the $60, I just don't think that the OP will find what he's looking for in this game.
    Definitely not at this point in time, yeah.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-09-27 at 08:57 PM.

I agree that it's fun and definitely worth the $60, I just don't think that the OP will find what he's looking for in this game.

Deleted
    That's my concern as well. I played Skyrim for almost a year and didn't get bored so I might buy the game later on but right now I am looking for an MMO which I'll play at least for 2 more years.
    From the replies so far(thanks for the quick replies by the way) I understood that may or may not be more PvE content later on and right now its not that difficult as WoW raids.
    Regarding PvP I looked into Structure PvP and found tournaments which is exacly what I am looking for, but only for 5v5 which I am not fan of. However, in guild wars wiki says there is hot join also which is for different teams, but doesn't explain it very good. Can someone compare hot join with arena?
    Please allow me one additional question - it said that there is 1v1 in "hot join" does this mean classes(professions) are balanced for 1v1 as well in Guild Wars 2?

1. is there enough end game content comparable to WoW
    2. is there arena type PvP comparable to WoW.
    1. There is no end game comparable to World of Warcraft in any of the 4 Guild Wars games and expansion pack. The series does not have a vertical progression ladder, competitive PVE or a bimodal endgame.

2. No.

I would strongly advise reading our giant sticky for an overview: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

If you played Skyrim for that long without getting bored, you should be fine with GW2.

Just don't look for any kind of mmo raid replacement in GW2. It seems a lot of people were expecting raiding in GW2 and when it turned out there wasn't they were a bit lost.

As for PvP, the movement is so clunky and everyone has such a small movepool that I don't ever see it being as competitive as WoW's arena.
    Pretty sure GW2 is way more competitive than WoW arena. Pretty sure WoW areana seasons were always dominated by certain comps and if u didnt use those you had a harder time getting to the top.

A couple things about the movement differences. One is there is a momentum animation in GW2, Wow doesn't have it but there isn't a difference in movement response for either game. I've been playing both games pretty much back to back and the real difference is not the movement but the camera. The camera in WoW is stiff and responsive, the camera in GW2 is floaty and it does make a big difference in my opinion. If they had the camera of wow in gw2, there would hardly be a difference in movement.

If you are looking for a good WoW clone, Rift is probably your best choice right now. From what I've heard they have raids comparable to WoW and they push out content regularly. They have a subscription fee. Edited to add they have a new expac coming out soon. I think next month but I'm not sure.

If you want a game that you can play alongside other MMO's with no subscription fee, then GW2 is definitely worth the $60 price. It would make a great side game for you to play alongside your main MMO.

If you are into progression and gear and healing, you'll want Rift over GW2. GW2 has no healing class although there are professions (classes) capable of healing. There just isn't a Trinity system in the game.

I personally love GW2 and I'm having a lot of fun at level 80.
    Last edited by Tabbycat; 2012-09-27 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A couple things about the movement differences. One is there is a momentum animation in GW2, Wow doesn't have it but there isn't a difference in movement response for either game. I've been playing both games pretty much back to back and the real difference is not the movement but the camera. The camera in WoW is stiff and responsive, the camera in GW2 is floaty and it does make a big difference in my opinion. If they had the camera of wow in gw2, there would hardly be a difference in movement.
    Just watched a Guildcast this afternoon that talked a little about the camera problems in GW2.

It brought this to my attention: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...moothing/first

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Peters
    Guild Wars 2 has some camera smoothing built into it. It is generally more intrusive than it needs to be, but it also has a bug with it that makes it feel really bad for people with specific mouse look styles, like mine. This bug, and reducing the amount of smoothing is being actively looked at, but must be done carefully and tested carefully as its impact will effect every single player. Thanks for your patience.

Jon

p.s. These are not the only camera issues, but are far and away the most egregious so we will address them first.

OP might be much happier with Rift. Star Wars pvp I hear is quite fun, but I haven't done it much, but I've heard some people rave about it. I play it for the story and believe it or not, game play. Rift is much higher quality than SW though ... and I really think disenfranchised wow players should give it a honest shot, they may be surprised, even if they end up going back to WoW in the end, or play both

Oh, and if you buy a year of Rift game time (120), you get the xpac for free ... and currently there are deals to get the normal game for $5-10, with a free 30 days from some retailers. Also, Rift Lite (like wow's free/trial accounts) up to level 20 for as long as you want, if you just want to get a feel for the world, lore, game ... most classes can fill any role with tons of talent trees ...

it all depends on how much time/money you have to invest. GW2 with no sub fee is ok, if you like the game and need to not be committed to a sub, probably easier to pick up and leave, since it doesn't rely on the same progression model of other games. But if you want wow raiding, and wow pvp, but not play wow ... Rift first ... try out SW as well, if you can afford to. Both those games have a much more friendly community overall, because the ones playing it, enjoy the game ... especially right now, because anyone interested in wow, is most likely seeing if they like mists.

good luck and I hope you find the game you enjoy.
    Last edited by zeropeorth; 2012-09-27 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If one was to judge GW2 not as an MMO, but simply as a $60 multiplayer game then the result would be something made by Jesus himself.

For now there is concern as to what happens once you reach level 80. It can't technically be called "endgame" since you can still go back to a level 40 dungeon and run it as a level 40. Once you hit 80 you're left with 100% map completition - i.e. do all skill point challenges, all vistas (jumping puzzles!), basically run everywhere and discover everything. As far as PvE goes the only OTHER thing to do is aim to grind for legendaries - which takes the definition of "grind" to an entirely new level and is just a massive timesink more than anything.

And then there's of course WvW and SPvP, lots of fun to be had there.

The "goal" of the game is also not to hit level 80, the leveling is supposed to automatically happen as you PLAY and have fun. Those who don't enjoy the content, zones, exploration aspect, etc and aim to zerg-level to 80 will be left absolutely unsatisfied (as we have seen in many cases)...the best way to play this game is the opposite if what you do in WoW - you take your own sweet time.

If people can play something like Skyrim for 2 years then GW2 should last them forever, assuming they aim for 100% map completition and legendaries with a character of every profession.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-09-28 at 05:47 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed the game for about 2 days. I loved the graphics, I loved the questing and leveling, and I loved the cities. However I hated the PVP and the combat. I felt like the main point of playing my class, was to just run around with auto attack and making sure the target was in LOS. Their idea of rotation, is swapping between weapons and using predetermined abilities. And you can have every rotational ability you'll ever get, by the time you're level 5.

To put things in perspective:

If this is anything to go by....but it probably means nothing to most players anyway.

GW2 in comparison to WoW.

WoW - Reception

GameRankings 92%
    Metacritic 93%
    Review scores
    Publication Score

1UP.com A
    Edge 9 out of 10
    Eurogamer 8 out of 10
    Game Informer 9.5 out of 10
    GamePro 4.5 out of 5
    GamesMaster 93%
    GameSpot 9.5 out of 10
    GameSpy 5 (stars)
    IGN 9.1 out of 10
    PC Gamer UK 94%

GW2 - Reception

Aggregate scores

GameRankings 91.48%
    Metacritic 91/100
    Review scores
    Publication Score

Computer and Video Games 8.9
    G4 5/5
    GameSpot 9.0
    GameSpy 4.5 (stars)
    GamesRadar 4.5 (stars)
    IGN 9/10
    PC Gamer US 94%

RIFT (interesting it actually beat WoW AND GW2)

Aggregate scores

GameRankings 96.07%
    Metacritic 96/100
    Review scores
    Publication Score

GamePro 5 (stars)
    GameSpot 9.5/10
    GameSpy 4.5/5
    GamesRadar 9.5/10
    GameTrailers 10/10
    IGN 9.5/10

Awards
    Entity Award

Game Developers Conference[24] Best New Online Game
    and
    Best Online Technology
    IGN[25] Best PC Persistent World/MMO Game of 2011
    Last edited by ChariotOfFaith; 2012-09-28 at 06:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, professional reviews are more or less irrelevant when it comes to judging an MMO.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    How to like GW2:
    - Take that cup that has every knowledge you learned from WoW.
    - Empty it (or at least put it somewhere out of the way).
    - Give the game 2/3 days to sink it.

some notes:
    - WoW is made arround end-game, GW2 is made arround the enjoyment of the leveling proces.
    - GW2 is best played with a friend so you can explore every bit of the map (for me this is simply not so great when playing alone, but still twice as good as in WoW)
    - The fact you don't have a trinity in dungeons makes it chaotic, you cannot prepare for this lol, but i love it

tbh,
    just try it, it's just 50 bucks
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Deleted
    Someone put it rather well a while ago - play it as any ol' RPG with 100+ hours of content, and you'll most likely be happy with your purchase. Play it as an MMO where the goal is "complete leveling then enjoy game" and you'll find yourself bored and dissatisfied.

GW2 was never made to replace anything. Play other games along with it, including WoW if that's your cup of tea.