10+ Year Old Account
    Well my laptop only has 1 drive bay, which contains a 160gb SSD (Intel 310!). Not exactly very backup-friendly -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Not easy when the whole thing is 30kg+.
    This is goddamn Deltrus we're talking about. Norn blood.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    With right motive and adrenaline. Easy. :-P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    This is goddamn Deltrus we're talking about. Norn blood.
    I think Xuvial got it spot on.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    My Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 came in today!

Pretty good card, runs at 49 degrees on load with a modest overclock of 925Mhz on the core clock and 1250Mhz on the memory clock with the fan speed at 60%. Idling at 38 degrees with two monitors plugged in. The PCB is insanely smaller then my 6870 too, and only uses a single 6 pin power connector, whereas the 6870 used two. My 6870 was running at 51 degrees idle with dual monitors and around 56 on load with a game on a single screen.

Here is a visual comparison taken with my phone.

When I get a second, I will post case photos. Suffice to say I am pretty happy with this card, it performs well and is a nice step up from the 6870 in Borderlands 2, the slight frame rate issues I experienced are now gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    49c load? Wow, very nice.
    Also those 6870 idle/load temps look really wonky, how on earth do they only differ by 5c...I'm thinking drivers!

Also was the upgrade from 6870 to 7850 worth the jump? Most benches only show a 10-15% performance gap : /

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed a reasonable difference in Borderlands 2, I haven't tested it on a stress game that really pushes it. To be honest, I still can't figure out why people would spend more then 300 dollars on a graphics card, the games I have been playing recently all run smooth as butter at near max settings. I will have to give Metro: 2033 a whirl as I know that game tends to put a lot of pressure on cards graphically. The temperature I was getting while running Borderlands 2 was at max settings with 80% GPU activity at all times on AMD OverDrive (have it in my second window). I would assume unless I cranked the crap out of the overclock settings and got 100% load, I doubt it would go above 60 degrees.

In terms of overall temperatures and performance, I think the extra video memory really helps with the frame rates, I was having frame skips in most of my games running just a single monitor on the 6870, at least two active monitors doesn't strain it as much. Since it's a 2GB card, that is what really makes the difference, there really aren't any visual improvements that I have seen yet. I will test it more tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do they spend $300+ for a GPU?

2560x144 and 120Hz displays. That's why.
    "A flower.

Also those 6870 idle/load temps look really wonky, how on earth do they only differ by 5c...I'm thinking drivers!
    Idle dual monitors, load single monitors.
    I don't remember with nVidia, but at least with AMD, more monitors means more heat.

Blah so I broke down and instead of waiting for haswell decided to replace my i5 750 so ordered some new parts. Got me:
    corsair h60
    asrock extreme 4 (with free 8gb ram) didnt get it for this reason lol but well see how well it works with my ram i have lol if not Ill just continue using my old ram.
    and a Samsung 830 128Gb

no reason to replace my other parts really and I dont feel like dropping the money for a badass video card just yet. Only wanted to spend about about 500. Will get new pics after I get my build redone in my case here in a week or so.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    To be honest, I still can't figure out why people would spend more then 300 dollars on a graphics card, the games I have been playing recently all run smooth as butter at near max settings.
    Correct, the games you have been playing
    Not the games I have been playing, i.e. Crysis 2, BF3 and GW2 on a 120hz monitor. Theoretically I would need nothing shy of GTX670 SLI to crank out the 100-120 fps (minimum!) @ max settings in the first 2 games :P
    Also as Deltrus said, at 1400/1440p = performance takes a skydive unless you have a card that can really pull it's weight.

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Blah so I broke down and instead of waiting for haswell decided to replace my i5 750 so ordered some new parts. Got me:
    corsair h60
    asrock extreme 4 (with free 8gb ram) didnt get it for this reason lol but well see how well it works with my ram i have lol if not Ill just continue using my old ram.
    and a Samsung 830 128Gb

no reason to replace my other parts really and I dont feel like dropping the money for a badass video card just yet. Only wanted to spend about about 500. Will get new pics after I get my build redone in my case here in a week or so.
    Fair move mate, waiting for Haswell would have probably been painful...but the HD5870 will remain your primary bottleneck in almost any game bar stuff like WoW. One thing at a time I suppose

Also I doubt Haswell chips will exactly topple benches in gaming, with SB/IB the GPU still remains the primary bottleneck even with a GTX690.
    And it will continue to stay that way till we see a true monster of a GPU (GK110 maybe?) that literally yells at the CPU "hurry up bitch, give me more frames to render or I'll eat you alive!" Then maybe we'll have a good reason to upgrade from SB/IB.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-09-28 at 03:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct, the games you have been playing
    Not the games I have been playing, i.e. Crysis 2, BF3 and GW2 on a 120hz monitor. Theoretically I would need nothing shy of GTX670 SLI to crank out the 100-120 fps (minimum!) @ max settings in the first 2 games :P
    Also as Deltrus said, at 1400/1440p = performance takes a skydive unless you have a card that can really pull it's weight.
    i.e. dat 384-bit membus!!!

Also, idk what 1400p is, but a 2560x1600 resolution is I think the other resolution you were thinking of. :P
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Why do they spend $300+ for a GPU?
    2560x144 and 120Hz displays. That's why.

7950 - Just above 300USD USD Guru3D BF3 Crysis 2

GTX 660 Ti - Just above 300 USD Guru3D BF3 Crysis 2

So for those of us who only plays at 60FPS+, 300USD for a GPU is not the max i would spend on a 1920x1080 60HZ Monitor to run the newest games.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    I was giving the most overkill reasons. -.-
    "A flower.

So finally I can add a decent machine to the list on here got the parts in today and put it together at work right now it's downloading a billion updates gw2 and rift lite but at least everything works

Case HAF 912
    Mb: msi z77-g43
    CPU: intel i5 3550
    Psu: corsair cx600w
    VGA: his hd 7870
    Ssd: 128gb Kingston
    Ram: 8 gigs of crucial sport
    DVD burner: some cheap lg
    And windows 7

Compared to my dual core 2 gig ram computer I just upgraded from this thing should be a beast... Unfortunately I just get to sit here and watch it download lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Really, really happy to see SSD's becoming standard in desktop gaming builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wuuut? My Single 670 does at least 100 fps @ BF3 using FXAA :X

Deleted
    49c load? Wow, very nice.
    my 6870 hawk is the same. it's 57C idle and it only goes a little over 60C in full load on a 950mhz/1200mhz overclock. it seems really strange seeing as it's automatically down clocked to 300mhz core at idle.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2012-09-28 at 11:45 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really, really happy to see SSD's becoming standard in desktop gaming builds.
    Really happy to see their prices drop to some things that are reasonable.

Soon, Raid0 gaming standard? ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    Really happy to see their prices drop to some things that are reasonable.

Soon, Raid0 gaming standard? ^^;
    No point in using Raid0 for games, imo. A single SSD is all you should ever need for games.

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    No point in using Raid0 for games, imo. A single SSD is all you should ever need for games.
    i have 2 in raid 0. but sometimes i feel like i should of gone with a single 512gb =/