Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    my biggest curiousity is hows rifts pvp? because I love both PvP and PvE and while they are astounding me with the PvE content...i'd hate to have one aspect that I normally enjoy playing go bye bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    PvP in Rift is interesting, largely because of the Spec Possibilities you have and the variety used by your opponents. to break it down, there are 5 war fronts (Bg's), PvP Rifts, and conquest, which is a 200v200v200 BG where u chose a faction and it turns into a bloodbath from there.

PvP is staggered however, you earn ranks at level 50, with each level tier having its own set of gear and u accumulate ranks through killing people (prestige). It is a grid, I won't lie to you, but you really feel like you are working towards something, and that makes it very rewarding to be in the upper tiers (40-50) - and the gear seriously bumps your stats. In addition, Planar attunement allows you to gain levels after 50 which give you bonus PvP talents (reducing your CD on your Break Free ability, for example).

Many people enjoy PvP in Rift, and many others loathe it. I submit that conquest is one feature I've tremendously enjoyed.
    Could also add that you are grouped with others according to your pvp rank in warfronts so you will never run into max rank players with the top gear as a beginner, the group division is pretty large though so if unlucky you could possibly face an entire team 15 ranks above you but it's fairly uncommon in my experience and atleast balances it to some extent.

And to cut que times there is also a mercenary system so sometimes you'll be fighting for The Defiants as a Guardian and vice verca.

Deleted
    True about the gear, although without a wow style badge system people would actually have to raid to get raiding gear and therefor people would all be at different points in theory. Still sounds interesting though, never got to endgame in rift and should maybe fire it up again. Same goes for buying GW2. But with 2 hungry eve accounts to plex my multi-mmo days might be behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    But what I'd really like to see from an MMO is get rid of extending the level cap. From a PvE perspective, it makes all the old content obsolete and just adds new balance problems. Replace it with a pyramid-style system, and add a new raid to every tier and another single tier raid on the top. New stuff for everyone.
    The trouble is that this would not allow for a gear refresh nor for that feeling of advancing onwards and growing your character in power. There would be nothing to do in the new zones, no story to them, unless you filled them with dailies or something, which might be a bit boring and overwhelming if there were lots.

There are a lot of advantages to doing it this way, and the only disadvantage is a week spent leveling (or a day, if you're playing intensely), not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    The trouble is that this would not allow for a gear refresh nor for that feeling of advancing onwards and growing your character in power. There would be nothing to do in the new zones, no story to them, unless you filled them with dailies or something, which might be a bit boring and overwhelming if there were lots.

There are a lot of advantages to doing it this way, and the only disadvantage is a week spent leveling (or a day, if you're playing intensely), not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Well, that is unless you count PA XP, then regular quests in the new zones would be worthwhile. You could also make the hit cap for T4 Raids 400, so you would need to progress your gear in order to go on to those. Also, something like the lonf quest chain in EI where you get a peice of the Planar Conquerors gear for completing the zone, however, instead make it the lowest level dungeon gear. So be X-pac would look like this.

New 50 Dungeons: 400 Hit
    Experts: 450
    T4 Raids: 500
    so on and so forth

Each of the new zones regular quests would offer PA XP, so you could work on unlocking the new tiers releasing with the expansion, and an overall zone cain quest that gives you one piece of a set of gear that will get you Expert Ready if you do all of them.

Granted, I believe that raising the level cap is still the way to go. It's a much better way to "reset" everything. They did make the right choice in doing it this way. However, to say that it is the only way to do it and would leave nothing in the new zones is entirely inaccurate. There are ways.

Deleted
    Rift has redefined what a sub based MMO should be...

Its also miles above other devs in terms of quality and quantity and diversity of endgame content in "traditional" MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account

Correct. Let's not forget FFXI here. The game that had one level cap for 7+ years. How demoralizing was it to bang your face against one dragon for an hour (seriously) and have NOTHING drop. That's right, nothing. That was basically their version of longevity- extremely rare to non-existent loot. Literal YEARS spent gearing a character for a barely noticeable change in performance.

I don't think any of us want that back. I don't mind 5-10 levels of quest grinding once every few years to keep it fresh and varied.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I don't want to have to warn you guys again. If you want to discuss Blizzards handling of WoW, there's a whole forum for it. This is the Rift forum, keep the discussion on topic.
    To be fair, the post I responded to referencing Blizzard was one of your posts saying about how you didnt think other devs could do what Trion do (you even said "have the courage to match them", which is pretty inflammatory towards people who do like Blizzard or even other games). Of course people should be able to respond to comments like that as long as they're polite, either that or perhaps you should word your comments more carefully as to not invite them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    To be fair, the post I responded to referencing Blizzard was one of your posts saying about how you didnt think other devs could do what Trion do (you even said "have the courage to match them", which is pretty inflammatory towards people who do like Blizzard or even other games).
    It's not an inflammatory opinion, it's a statement of fact, no one updates like Trion does and no one is even trying. If you don't like the facts, tough. They are what they are. Do you see Edge getting all pissy when someone says 'WoW has more subscribers'. Of course not.

Rifts newest expansion is doing what an expansion pack should. With that said, I've always thought Blizzard has done a good job with their expansions as well. While they are few and far in between, they pack a lot of content.

I take issue with games like EverQuest II and LotRO that release an expansion nearly every year that is little more than a glorified live update with a handful of new raids and a couple overland zones.

Quote Originally Posted by XeroFive89 View Post
    Rifts newest expansion is doing what an expansion pack should. With that said, I've always thought Blizzard has done a good job with their expansions as well. While they are few and far in between, they pack a lot of content.

I take issue with games like EverQuest II and LotRO that release an expansion nearly every year that is little more than a glorified live update with a handful of new raids and a couple overland zones.
    While I agree with the sentiment, I'm pretty confident that an expansion that triples the size of the existing world is very ambitious and somewhat unprecedented. when you add an entirely new activities at end game like player/guild housing, and massive PvE boss battles, then it also provides for quite an impressive debut. that's not taking into consideration the amount of content that goes out on live.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

You don't need a gear refresh every time a new expansion comes out. Gear can continue to get better without raising the level cap, it's really not that hard. Final Fantasy XI was @ level 75 for 3 expansions in a row, and it all worked out. You are thinking too much in terms of how WoW works, but it doesn't have to be like that.

edit - someone beat me to mentioning this game, and although it was kind of shitty at times seeing nothing drop for months on end, the game wasn't all about the gear. It was about the story and the challenges, and gear dropping like flies just wasn't part of it. I dont think you need to get upgrades once a week for an endgame to be enjoyable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XeroFive89 View Post
    I had the impression that LotRO expansions were rather big? I have scarcely played the game but Moria/Mirkwood/Rohan strike me as rather imposing areas to expand your game into.

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    I had the impression that LotRO expansions were rather big? I have scarcely played the game but Moria/Mirkwood/Rohan strike me as rather imposing areas to expand your game into.
    Not to mention that LoTRO is introducing mounted combat which is a pretty new mechanic. To be honest, I don't have a problem with either game doing things like that. If you're a subscriber and have no interest in buying shit with your points, you can always get the expansion for "free". It's a F2P game, not a P2P. I mean, shit, EQ2 put out 4 raids with their last expansion. That's only 1 less raid than WoW put out during the life of Cata. Not really that bad of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    I would hate to derail my own thread into off-topicness, but I just HAVE to comment on this conversation. I give lotro a TON of slack, because even if an expansion in lotro doesn't come out big, the devs for that game have to make something that will come under the scruitiny of every lotr fan playing their game. I couldn't blame them if they released xpacs in small chunks as to make enough time for accuracy.

OT: Yeah, i just think that tripling the size of the world, PLUS adding entirely new features is a lot of content, and more than most recent expansions have packed. some older examples for comparison, WoW's first xpacTBC probably was about the size of 1/2-1/3 WoW's game world when it was released(and yes, im saying outlands looks to be about 2/3's of EK, if not a tad smaller) and EQ's first expansion RoK was a huge leap in their graphics and landmass, and it also doesn't come nearly as close.

These two games both towered in their prime, and in some cases still do, far over rift's sub-base and funding. That is why I think Trion is setting a new standard, even if the consumers don't notice it now, I am almost certain the companies are. If Trion makes enough money, and grabs enough subs with SL, you can bet other companies will adapt to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantor View Post
    These two games both towered in their prime, and in some cases still do, far over rift's sub-base and funding. That is why I think Trion is setting a new standard, even if the consumers don't notice it now, I am almost certain the companies are. If Trion makes enough money, and grabs enough subs with SL, you can bet other companies will adapt to the same standard.
    It's also free marketing, sort of.
    Their new MMO "Defiance" is scheduled for 2013, if they continue supporting Rift this way I'm quite sure a lot of people will be attracted to that game simply because people are liking Trion.

At least I'm sure I'll play their future games simply because of what they did with Rift (not necessarily the game itself, but supporting it with content/expansions, dealing with bugs/exploits, communicating with the players).

As for them setting a new standard for expansions; they are, but only for themselves I think.
    The playerbase of most games just accept the expansions they are given, size or frequency of expansions doesn't really decide whether they'll play or quit so I almost think Trion may be overdoing it, they're locked in now and can't turn back without getting a lot of bad press.

Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    Trion is the gaming market equivalent to Apple, quality, innovation/innovative improvements and good service <3
    Apple is known the world over as having the worst customer service of any major company out there so I wouldnt use them as an example for that

Quote Originally Posted by Kantor View Post
    I pose that question to you, forumites, is Trion Worlds raising the bar for how much content a first expansion should contain? With 4 new souls and the large landmass being added to Telara, I am curious as to what you all think.

(Note: this is NOT about Trions excellent rate of pushing out content patches, this is about how Storm Legion could potentially change the MMO industry standard for expansions.)
    No it's an attempt at making their game profitable again. They very much need the extra bang with their expac.

Quote Originally Posted by Recursiv View Post
    No it's an attempt at making their game profitable again. They very much need the extra bang with their expac.
    Do you have any evidence that it's unprofitable? Or are you just making wild assertions. Because this is absolutely in line with how they've been working on the game since launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursiv View Post
    Hmm, I just searched Google and couldn't find anything that said they weren't profitable, any sources for that? I found articles about other interested parties investing in the company and Trion increasing their footprint in the gaming sector by adding three more games End of Nations, Warface and Defiance in the future with End of Nations MMORTS f2p going into it's final beta I think next weekend. Looks like their flagship game has made them some money and gathered interest from investors. http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...rategic-Growth

The expansion seems to be a natural progression in the games life after 10 live patches have gone live. This xpac is coming at time where it will only bolster the games already loyal fan base more as other recent released games may grow tiring for some. Lets wait it out and see what the reviewers and gamers say about the expansion before saying they aren't profitable.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-09-30 at 07:06 AM.

TRION are on the verge of releasing an expansion and three other games and are broke? :S

On a more serious and interesting note, did anyone notice that since Elrar made his last appearance (with his detective work), a lot of our regulars have vanished?

I won't come and say it outright but I think he slipped them a little more than just his wishes for a good day....
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }