Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

View distance-setting on WoW kills my FPS. Solution?

Hey!

I have no idea why and what i should try. Been testing speedstep OFF, removed interface, cache and WTF-folder completely aswell.

My FPS is fine with view distance at low but at ultra, high, good or even fair, it drops like hell. Its "usually" at max-fps (60) but as said, it drops really often.

So far it seems that multisampling to 1x from 8x increasing my FPS with ~10. Shadows from ultra to low ~15 FPS, and view distance from ultra to low...~40-50 FPS.

WoW tells me: "Larger view distance require more memory and a faster CPU"

My comp:
    i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
    HD7850
    6GB memory
    Win 7 64bit
    WoW at 64bit

And yes, i know WoW aint that "good" optimized compared to what hardware ppl using, but an i5 2500k 4.5ghz should definitly be able to have view distance at good without any problems.

I just really DONT want to have it on low with my comp. It looks terrible.
    Last edited by mmocdd889ff95a; 2012-10-01 at 10:02 AM.

What do you mean "problems"?

I am playing at ULTRA (each and every single single setting at the max available setting) just fine with my five-year old CPU underclocked at 2.66 Ghz and with my GPU underclocked as well.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    What do you mean "problems"?

I am playing at ULTRA (each and every single single setting at the max available setting) just fine with my five-year old CPU underclocked at 2.66 Ghz and with my GPU underclocked as well.
    "What do you mean problems" - Huh?

And well, what should i say? :P Gz, i guess, because i cant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim View Post
    "What do you mean problems" - Huh?

And well, what should i say? :P Gz, i guess, because i cant.
    Just ignore the above poster, they're exaggerating and severely misinformed. WoW is CPU bound.

Anyway, where are you seeing your drops and what does your FPS drop to? More interested in the numbers you get with multisampling at 4x or lower and shadows on medium-ish.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Just ignore Glo as he has got no clue about my system.

You wrote:

"should definitly be able to have view distance at good without any problems"

What problems are you talking about? Like I said, I am playing WoW at ULTRA with both CPU and GPU underclcoked and I get no problems at all, no lag, no slows or whatever.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

You wrote:

What problems are you talking about? Like I said, I am playing WoW at ULTRA with both CPU and GPU underclcoked and I get no problems at all, no lag, no slows or whatever.
    I'm fairly sure that I know what a C2Q and a GTX 580 is capable of. You're not fully maxing the game (including shadows/multisampling/SSAO) at 1080p with that processor and keeping at 60 FPS in all situations.

Further, your signature is absolutely horrendous misinformation. WoW is heavily CPU bound in almost all situations aside from solo questing. And why you're underclocking that hardware at all is beyond me. You may think you're saving power, but you're only saving a couple watts, nothing more.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

With those specs/hardware, if youre having significant FPS drops due to a setting (View Distance), you have an underlying problem that isnt WoW related. I run on Ultra at 60 fps (40 in intense 25 raids) with a significantly worse system (PhenomII x 4 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, Radeon 5770, Win 7), so I cant see WoW being the issue here. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'm fairly sure that I know what a C2Q and a GTX 580 is capable of. You're not fully maxing the game (including shadows/multisampling/SSAO) at 1080p with that processor and keeping at 60 FPS in all situations.

Further, your signature is absolutely horrendous misinformation. WoW is heavily CPU bound in almost all situations aside from solo questing. And why you're underclocking that hardware at all is beyond me. You may think you're saving power, but you're only saving a couple watts, nothing more.
    Since you can't seem to be able to get it, I will say it again:

I am running WoW at 1920X1080, ALL SETTINGS MAXED OUT, with my 5 year-old CPU underclocked at 2.66 GHz and my GPU underclocked as per signature. I never said I am getting 60 FPS. I get no slows, no lag no freezes and the game runs smooth, hence "no problems at all".

EDIT: And no, your CPU does NOT matter as much as your GPU does, in fact this is the reason I am running my QX 9650 at 2.66 GHz. When I had a Radeon HD 5830, I could NOT run WoW at max settings even with my CPU overclocked over 4 GHz. When I replaced my 5830 with my GTX 580, I can run WoW maxed out at 1920X1080 even with my CPU underclocked.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2012-10-01 at 11:40 AM.

Problem isnt hardware related or at least its not the matter of the specs of your PC. I have athlon x2 and 4bg ram and it runs smoothly at ultra. Possibly its some driver issue or a wow related bug, try reinstalling.

Could be one of your mods wrecking havoc, had Gatherer eat memory like crazy, latest version fixed it and fps went back to normal

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia has beta drivers for MoP... But, yeah, ATIMD...

Look for 'amd' drivers for your card and lower the view distance?

2c

Deleted

You wrote:

Just ignore the above poster, they're exaggerating and severely misinformed. WoW is CPU bound.

Anyway, where are you seeing your drops and what does your FPS drop to? More interested in the numbers you get with multisampling at 4x or lower and shadows on medium-ish.

5 man instances, questing. Just flying around doing nothing with almost no ppl close to me. Drops from 60 to ~35-40 alot with view distance better then low, at low, it kinda never drops at all.

And yeah, i know WoW require hell lots more CPU then GPU. :P Had a Phenom, old one before, cant remember name, changed that one out and it improved my FPS...ALOT.

I dont see how reinstalling WoW can change it, since i removed WTF-folder etc with no improvements. Maybe there is something else in the wow-folder. I have no idea. :/
    Last edited by mmocdd889ff95a; 2012-10-01 at 11:46 AM.

Since you can't seem to be able to get it, I will say it again:

I am running WoW at 1920X1080, ALL SETTINGS MAXED OUT, with my 5 year-old CPU underclocked at 2.66 GHz and my GPU underclocked as per signature. I never said I am getting 60 FPS. I get no slows, no lag no freezes and the game runs smooth, hence "no problems at all".

EDIT: And no, your CPU does NOT matter as much as your GPU does, in fact this is the reason I am running my QX 9650 at 2.66 GHz. When I had a Radeon HD 5830, I could NOT run WoW at max settings even with my CPU overclocked over 4 GHz. When I replaced my 5830 with my GTX 580, I can run WoW maxed out at 1920X1080 even with my CPU underclocked.
    Majority of gamers don't consider anything below 60 FPS "smooth". While you may accept 35 FPS in random scenarios on an old processor acceptable, many of us don't.

And yes, the processor is WoW's limiting factor in the game. Minimum FPS ceiling is determined by the CPU, maximum by the GPU. If you're not achieving a high enough minimum frame rate, obviously the GPU isn't going to have a chance to increase the maximum.

Must I remind you of your last thread when you made these ridiculous claims?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post18179761

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim View Post
    5 man instances, questing. Just flying around doing nothing with almost no ppl close to me. Drops from 60 to ~35-40 alot with view distance better then low, at low, it kinda never drops at all.

And yeah, i know WoW require hell lots more CPU then GPU. :P Had a Phenom, old one before, cant remember name, changed that one out and it improved my FPS...ALOT.
    Do you have v-sync on? SSAO?

Also make sure you enable DX11 in the advanced options.

build pics

Please stop any personal remarks and arguments. If you want to have a CPU vs GPU, importance in Wow discussion, create a thread about it. Otherwise, focus your avice on the OP and his issue.
    Consider this a warning.

@ OP, mind taking a screenshot of your actual settings?
    And is this in new MoP-zones or throughout?

Majority of gamers don't consider anything below 60 FPS "smooth". While you may accept 35 FPS in random scenarios on an old processor acceptable, many of us don't.

And yes, the processor is WoW's limiting factor in the game. Minimum FPS ceiling is determined by the CPU, maximum by the GPU. If you're not achieving a high enough minimum frame rate, obviously the GPU isn't going to have a chance to increase the maximum.
    "Smooth" is whatever gets you to play the game smoothly, i.e. without "slows", "lag" or "freezes". Getting constant 60 FPS just for the sake of it goes beyond the scope of enjoying the game maxed out and falls under the "enthusiast" category.

Further, if the CPU was the "limiting factor" in the game, I'd never get over 130 FPS in places such as Ironforge, now would I?

EDIT: @OP I get between 28-34 FPS at Stormwind in my -pretty crowded- server and about 32 FPS minimum in Pandaria while questing. Game experience is NOT at all degraded in any way, i.e. no lag, no slows, no freezes. (1920X1080, all settings maxed out)
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2012-10-01 at 12:01 PM.

60 FPS is far more important to achieve than visual effects and settings. Smoothness is everything.
    The CPU is the limiting factor in that the better it is, the less your framerate suffer in intense situations. However, in deserted, confined and visually non-challenging areas as Ironforge, the CPU doesn't need to do anything and the GPU matters.
    Now please give this subject a rest and help out the OP.

Deleted
    I cant insert image, or reply with quote. Freezes. :O

Anyway,
    http://oi49.tinypic.com/3476uc0.jpg - View distance: Good.
    http://oi50.tinypic.com/ri515l.jpg - Ultra
    http://oi47.tinypic.com/b4hhjq.jpg - Fair
    http://oi45.tinypic.com/24pjwjk.jpg - Low

And yes im using DX11, and also triple buffering and vsync on (ofc).

http://oi45.tinypic.com/im1ct5.jpg - Everything low, vsync off.
    http://oi49.tinypic.com/sgn0g0.jpg - Everything ultra except Shadows, sync off.
    http://oi47.tinypic.com/w9uplk.jpg - Everything ultra, even shadows.
    Last edited by mmocdd889ff95a; 2012-10-01 at 12:29 PM.

Deleted
    Did you try lowering texture filtering to 1x or 4x?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninthward View Post
    Did you try lowering texture filtering to 1x or 4x?
    Yep, nothing changes, at all. The big difference is still view distance.

Shadows, sure. I think its what it should be. Better FPS sometimes, sometimes not, depending on where i am. It seems logic. Multisampling...Not sure about this. But, view distance...No! :P

Its kinda strange that my FPS goes up as HELL with everything at low from ultra, with this hardware. I bought this hardware to be able to play WoW smoothly with good settings. So, im kinda up for everything, reinstalling wow, reinstalling Win etc. If you think that helps.

Everything at Ultra except View distance (low) = over 80 FPS all the time. View distance set to fair = ~40.
    Last edited by mmocdd889ff95a; 2012-10-01 at 12:42 PM.

Can you take screenshots with all addons off?

Some addons burn through your frame rates. In this case, I think it might be your nameplate addon.