Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's one no one has brought up:

You played in vanilla if you remember having an out of combat resser for Molten Core

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You played Vanilla if you know the horror of blood plague in Iron Forge auction house

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodylotion View Post

... if you know this inn music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImDN0CDXPA (Human inns only).

The song immediatley started playing in my head.
    Dunno wether to be proud or ashamed here.

Not saying if you don't remember this you're a wrathbaby..cause everyone had different experiences based on realm and faction and guild...

I'm sorry for the wall of text. Nothing to do at work so I have to look busy

That said....things I remember..

if you STILL get that uneasy feeling group with female night elf/male undead rogues...especially when a BoE drops. On my server ninjaing gold farmers it got so bad that anytime a rogue was invited into a group with an odd name and no guild people would play 20 questions with them and any sign of "Engrish" they'd be kicked. Hell you could spam "LFG..." and get more farmers then actual people.

Knowing this I would make lvl 1 gnomes, give them gibberish names get some random grey then finding guildies or IRL friends and chase them around IF trying to sell them said random grey for 5 gold. Then logging into my main and sent said person a tell complaining about gold farmers so they would bitch about how they just got harassed buy some stupid gold farmer.

Anyone remember there was a mod that was essentially a LFG tool with a black list before the shortly lived golbal LFG channel?

Trying to find the logic behind needing to be exalted with the humans so I can be an elf on a horse. I looked at it this way. Night Elves hated humans and orcs equally in wc3, humans abuse magic. Night elves are xenophobic and have thier own issues like Mal'Furion being stuck in the dream, loss of immortality, the failure to make a new world tree etc etc. They put all that behind them so they can come help the stupid humans and thier black dragon flight problem, their defias problem, their orc problem etc etc etc. They did this cause apparently between Wc3 and WoW they became nice people...er elves. The stupid elf saved your stupid kingdom but thats not enough, now they want a bajillion stacks of various cloth?! Screw it nightsabers are better.

Speaking of stacks of cloth I remember when dead wind pass more near Kara was only used to farm runecloth and healing pots.

The first time I got to the top of IF, I jump off the small mound on top, not much higher then a night elf and a half and die to fall damage.

Get into Mt Hyjal
    Patch to fix getting into Mt Hyjal
    Get in to Mt Hyjal Again
    ANOTHER patch to fix getting into Mt. Hyjal
    NOAP! Still getting into Mt Hyjal
    ANOTHER patch to stop getting into Mt Hyjal
    Still getting in there..
    ANOTHER Patch thats just "SCREW IT...you get teleported out now"

Getting a UBRS 10 man going, getting to UBRS which was fun being on a PvP server when BWL/MC raids were going on. Getting to the door "Anyone have a key?" and ofc no one would so you'd have to pay someone to come in and unlock the door.

Speaking of PvP and BWL/MC...I REALLY miss the huge fights for control of the instance portal. Which my memory is a little fuzzy on this, couldn't you talk to the other faction if a priest MCed them? I know you could heal them cause we used to take on guy almost kill him, MC him then heal him to full. the guild I was in ruined people's raid night as were our own raids ruined cause we just couldn't get everyone in the instance. Usually it had to do with BWL and clicking on the stupid orb.

I do know you used to be able to communicate cross faction with emotes, it's how I got the horde only white lion quest mob in Winterspring. Forgot his name. I was a NE hunter and I sat there for DAYS waiting for someone to come by and start the quest. I posted in the realm forums, on the realm irc but nothing. When people did come by they would usually kill me before I could emote spam them. One day an orc was doing the quest so I spammed my emote macros and...it WORKED! He helped me tame the lion and didn't gank me when we were done. Thats one of my fondest memories of classic.

I also remember the excitement of getting Rohk and then the subsequent disappointment when it was replaced by the xbow from Chromag in the next teir....BUT thank to Transmogging Rohk lives again! Which is kinda like getting the blue dragon sinew FINALLY, getting the quest quiver only to see it was the same exact quiver as the AV one...I think it was AV.

Another fond memory was making a Night Elf and running to The Abby in goldshire. The first few attempts didn't end well one time I somehow ended up on the far end of the bad lands thinking how it was apparently this super high end zone cause everything was a skull. While doing so seeing IF for the first time and how my character's breath could be seen in the colder climates and how I was leaving foot prints in the snow. Not sure HOW I did it but somehow I got to SW without using the tram cause I remember feeling like such an ass when I learned there was a tram between IF and SW. I think it had something to do with dying and then running as a ghost to the abby and rezing there.

hmm..other things...

Getting lost running back after a wipe in BRD

Leveling a NE Warrior and happening across a horde raid going to either MC or BWL and hiding behind an outhouse hoping they didn't see me. It was like a stampede.

This is silly but the first time I saw the facial animations on my character and the lighting effects at night from torches on the road side was like the most amazing thing to me...that and shapeshifting since I came from CoH where Cryptic said they couldn't do a Shapeshifting powerset cause the technology wasn't there yet.

Playing the opposite faction for the first time and running to the wrong flight master in booty bay....then almost every damn time since.

Losing my pet to a "Dead pet + stable" bug and having a GM port me around to fix the problem.

Getting very annoyed in one of the later SS vs TM (which yes I was one of THOSE people who called it Tauren Mill..I didn't know better I was Alliance) battles where a vendor kept hitting me with a fish so I killed him and lost honor. He's not a civilian if he hits me with a fish!

Cay and the "Free master in 1.7" crap blizzard pulled...which we wouldn't get for YEARS later.

The Gnome hunter demon + gold farmers was the bane of my existence for a while.

Having a hunters pet become "The bomb" dismissing the pet, going to the AH and calling the pet and having it explode.

FINALLY getting 8/8 DS and absolutely refusing to get ny 2.5 teir cause it took me so long to get 8/8, then being stuck in it cause of Naxxa-"Warrior/Rogue Token"-ramus.

Then there's the not so happy memories...

Like the loot whoring and drama that, honestly and this based off of my personal experiences, was the main factor of me going from alliance to horde. Not saying there's none horde side but from my experiences with this on both side it seemed a lot more childish, sneaky and just douche chills on the alliance side. The brunt of it was going from 40 man to 10/25 man. This may also be why I really don't like TBC as much as everyone else.

ok enough yammering..

People are thinking that they're special and real masters of WoW because they started on Vanilla. But TBH you're just old and mean people who are jealous of younger and better generation.

Your time is over, sorry.

Alot of this stuff that you are calling Vanilla was still possible in game early tbc.

You know you played vanilla if you grinded for weeks.... the Winterspring Frostsaber mount because it was the only epic speed mount that required regular riding and you couldn't afford the epic riding skill.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    When you paid top tier guilds to run you through a Baron Run to get your Teir.5 upgrade.
    Black Dragonflight Specific - when the guild Overrated (top rated guild) was banned for using a mod to skip around parts of AQ40 to farm gear from certain bosses.
    Black Dragonflight: Kalel (Paladin), Ramage (Death Knight), Liquidc (Warrior), Aerynsùn (Monk), Nahdar (Shaman), Tokare (Druid), Jenista (Priest), Anabolix (Rogue), Findecano (Hunter), Lohra (Mage), Luminya (Warlock)

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    ...when you ask who Drek is
    ...when your mind screams "was merely a setback" while entering in half the istances

I never hit cap in vanilla, but I remember my friend and I were level 30 or so, and he was given 15 gold by some random dude. I was just mind blown. I didn't believe him, and then he showed me in a trade window and was ultra jealous.

Dont know if someone said it before but...

You played vanilla if as an enchhanter you remember going to Uldaman to learn recipes.
    If as an alchemist, you remember going scholo to manufacter things
    If as miner you remember where you smelt dark iron (entrance to certain raid located inside certain dungeon)

You played vanilla if u think levelling fishing is fast and easy these days. U probably also remember the notes about a guy going insane on a deserted island while u where going insane levelling fishing..a great joke that still brings a smile to my lips.

Deleted
    Kazzak? So only endgame counts as playing vanilla?

My last memory of vanilla:
    (A dwarf char started two days before, because I got bored of the other chars and walking on foot for hours without anything fun to do)
    (I finally realise this char isn't different at all - I just walk, walk, walk...)
    I decide to ragequit in the middle of Loch Modan.
    Log out.
    A bear attacks me. Interrupted. I kill the bear.
    Log out.
    A spider attacks me. Interrupted. I kill the spider.
    Log out.
    A bear attacks me. Alt+F4

Deleted
    When you went to Gurubashi at lvl 30 and was able to win.

Deleted
    Ah Broken tooth the hunter pet with the best attack speed! those were the days!
    Back when hunters were only needed to kite General Drakkisath

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    No mention of plainstriding yet?
    This, bring back plains running.

---------- Post added 2012-10-02 at 11:17 AM ----------

You played vanilla if you've actually seen Ivus during a 10 hour AV match.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

When quests would take you all over the world, and not keep you in one zone/area.

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    All of the original 60 dungeons were 40 man at first and then cut back to 5 in patch 1.2 or 3 I forget which.[COLOR="red"]
    I believe the Stratholme, Scholomance, and Upper and Lower Blackrock Spire were 15-mans. WoW didn't believe in 10-mans at the time, because they felt 10-mans left people with little choice as to who to bring, due to each class having their own unique buff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesnast View Post
    Ah Broken tooth the hunter pet with the best attack speed! those were the days!
    Back when hunters were only needed to kite General Drakkisath
    My hunter still has Broken Tooth from back in the days. 1.0 attack speed was amazing

---------- Post added 2012-10-02 at 06:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alikyu View Post
    I believe the Stratholme, Scholomance, and Upper and Lower Blackrock Spire were 15-mans. WoW didn't believe in 10-mans at the time, because they felt 10-mans left people with little choice as to who to bring, due to each class having their own unique buff.
    I did a 23 man scholo at one point. They were all available for 40s at first.

If you actually saw them play back then. Everybody and their pixilated mother claim to have played then.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."