Thread: Acension

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Acension

Anyone tried this out?

I was toying with it and found it makes chi flow a bit better... its nice to be able to "save" a chi when you know you need to do a FoF and only have 2 but need to do RSK before FoF.

it might not be free chi but at the same time its much harder to accidently waste chi

10+ Year Old Account
    i like it for windwalker because windwalkers always get two chi per jab and some times you can accidently hit jab on three chi and then you feel really dumb. Ascension makes that less likely, power strikes just exacerbates the problem, and chi is not hard to come by for wind walkers.

As a mistweaver however, i need all the chi i can get, never enough chi, so I use Power Strikes (I like to melee heal anyway, so i get great use out of power strikes).

Have not tried brewmaster, i am thinking thought that Power Strikes is good to overcome initial-pull squishiness, since we need four Chi right away to set up Blackout Kick and Guard, Keg smash+Jab right off the bat gives up the four chi we need to start our active mitigation right away.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-10-03 at 02:10 PM.

In theory it does absolutely nothing for you.

In practice, it works as a very nice 'buffer', to give you more options. More choice and less chance of screwing up.

I'd strongly recommend new Monks take Ascension first, then perhaps move on to a different talent later. I dunno. I'm still using it as a Brewmaster, in heroics.

i like it as windwalker. i would prolly take one of the others as a brewmaster.

the WW rotation is very unforgiving, acension adds "forgivness" to it

Currently using on windwalker but going to switch over to power strikes to train myself and maximize dps before we get into harder raids. (ascension is 0% dps gain on a good monk)

Quote Originally Posted by daslops View Post
    Currently using on windwalker but going to switch over to power strikes to train myself and maximize dps before we get into harder raids. (ascension is 0% dps gain on a good monk)
    its also not a DPS loss which power strikes can be if you go to double jab and get the 3 chit first. Thats the issue i have with power strikes, i simply do not like it. On top of that Chi Brew is the same amount of "extra" chi over the course of a fight. Also i do not see power strikes giving more then .5% DPS if that. If you are GCD locked you are GCD locked.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Power Strikes will create a chi orb on the ground if you push it over the 4 chi limit. So no matter what, it will grant you an extra chi; just need to be prepared to run over it.

More or less need to track the timer on it, so you dont do PS Jab->Jab, but instead Jab->PS Jab
    Last edited by Noxulos; 2012-10-03 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never tried it out, Power Strikes is just too good to pass up, especially on my Brewmaster. I also have it on my WW, but I can see down the road once you have higher tier gear, and Chi generation is moot, I can trade PS in for it.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Noxulos View Post
    Power Strikes will create a chi orb on the ground if you push it over the 4 chi limit. So no matter what, it will grant you an extra chi; just need to be prepared to run over it.

More or less need to track the timer on it, so you dont do PS Jab->Jab, but instead Jab->PS Jab
    it will only generate one if the 3 chit jab puts you over, not if you have 3 then get 2 from a second jab, and that is the bad side of it i see. If it was truly a "5th" chi every time then it would be better but right now at the start of a fight you cannot jab twice because you generate 5 chi with only 4 max chi.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis003 View Post
    it will only generate one if the 3 chit jab puts you over, not if you have 3 then get 2 from a second jab, and that is the bad side of it i see. If it was truly a "5th" chi every time then it would be better but right now at the start of a fight you cannot jab twice because you generate 5 chi with only 4 max chi.
    Yup that's why you always track to make sure you're going Jab -> PS Jab and not vice versa. At the very start of the fight in raids, it'll act as a nice way to get your 3 stack rolling for Tiger Palm and can be timed out for an extra orb to keep the 3 stack rolling without interrupting a Rising Sun Kick.

It'll end up coming down to a by-boss choice for absolutely optimal dps -- safe route: PS, spikes: Brew
    Last edited by Noxulos; 2012-10-03 at 09:47 PM.

I would only use it for WW, as Brewmaster I use Power Strikes as it provides the most Chi and allows you to use your abilities more and as Mistweaver I would use Chi Brew for those times you need heals but are low on mana or chi. But Ascension for WW is nice because it allows you to pool more chi and allows you more wiggle room if you have chi and your mastery procs happen.

If you don't mess up, Power Strikes is always the best choice. If you're concerned about messing up, get Chi Brew.

There really is no reason to pick Ascension as it doesn't offer any performance at all and you can't mess up Chi Brew. Well you can, but it's extremely unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    If you don't mess up, Power Strikes is always the best choice. If you're concerned about messing up, get Chi Brew.

There really is no reason to pick Ascension as it doesn't offer any performance at all and you can't mess up Chi Brew. Well you can, but it's extremely unlikely.
    the best choice is the one you like the most which makes you perform better. You could get the best everything to someone and they can still make it terrible. or did you not see the plethora of arcane mages that failed at their 1 button rotation?

The thing about this new talent system is each teir is balanced agaist the other talents of that teir so they all basically do the same thing over the LONG term. On top of that chi bre and power strikes is the exact same amount of chi over time provided you use it on cooldown, acension allows you to pool more chi making it harder to energy cap and makes it hard to be out of chi and energy at the same time.

There is no best its what works best for your style of play.

No, there is. I just explained why.

Also Power Strikes is worth more than Chi Brew. Do the numbers.

Once you're GCD capped, Ascension may be interesting because you won't get any benefit from the alternatives. But that won't happen until T14H for WW.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2012-10-03 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis003 View Post
    On top of that chi bre and power strikes is the exact same amount of chi over time provided you use it on cooldown, acension allows you to pool more chi making it harder to energy cap and makes it hard to be out of chi and energy at the same time.
    Power Strikes is optimally 4 Chi every 80 seconds. Chi Brew is optimally 4 Chi every 90 seconds. There's a difference, albeit a small one. And Chi Brew has other advantages, like burst. About your points on Ascencion, yes it allows you to pool more chi but it does not help in making it hard to be out of both Chi and energy at the same time. In fact, over other talents, it's the opposite.

About Ascension, as already stated, it gives you no Chi and thus is a DPS loss over other talents. Sure, if you tend to screw up and require Ascension to not cap Chi, it's likely you don't care too much about maximizing your potential anyways so might as well choose Ascension.

If you screw up and waste Chi with Power Strikes, get Chi Brew. It's a button that you have to push, and it's really difficult to mess up "only press this button when at 0 Chi".

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    No, there is. I just explained why.

Also Power Strikes is worth more than Chi Brew. Do the numbers.

Once you're GCD capped, Ascension may be interesting because you won't get any benefit from the alternatives. But that won't happen until T14H for WW.
    So much wrong with this post...

1) Both Ascension and (especially) Chi Brew allow for more burst. Chi Brew could very well be better overall depending on your trinkets.

2) Even if you are GCD capped you can still benefit from Chi Brew and Power Strikes.

3) Saying Ascension offers "no" performance is dumb. Some of our utility costs 2 or 3 chi, and without ascension a single blackout kick or rising sun kick will take us under that amount, forcing us to use another GCD to get the Chi needed.

Has anyone in this thread actually read the tooltip. If power strikes takes you over 4 chi then a Chi sphere will go on the ground, so you can go and pick it up once you spend your chi.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Has anyone in this thread actually read the tooltip. If power strikes takes you over 4 chi then a Chi sphere will go on the ground, so you can go and pick it up once you spend your chi.
    They're talking about when you start a fight:

1st jab = 3 chi, as jab naturally generates 2 chi + 1 for power strikes. No chi orb dropped.
    2nd jab = 2 chi, which it always generates, but the second chi is lost. This isn't a power strikes thing, it's just jab. No chi orbs dropped.

The answer there is 'don't chain 2 jabs together at the start of a fight', but hey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great thing about tier 45 is that all the talents have uses. Chi Brew seems to be the least popular, but it has the benefit of being an emergency CD, and it can utilize Healing Elixirs. Getting 4 chi instantly along with 10% of your HP from one button is nothing to sneeze at.