Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Hm. Can't figure out if that includes digital sales or not.

At any rate, that sounds about what I'd expect: Cataclysm sold 3.3 million to start with, so a slight decline to go with the drop in subscriber numbers only makes sense. It's still a very strong amount, so congratulations to Blizzard!
    TBH I find 2.7M to be a pretty low number. I feel like it doesn't include digital sales, but Cataclysm did start with more people, so... idk.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    TBH I find 2.7M to be a pretty low number. I feel like it doesn't include digital sales, but Cataclysm did start with more people, so... idk.
    Why would they not though? That makes no sense. Are they gonna come out tmmrw and say "YOU GUYS WERE TROLLED HERES THE DIGITAL" I don't get that. Look I don't want to be that guy but it's a stretch agreed?
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Subs are a portion of the MMO market. Im pretty sure more ppl play free MMO's than sub MMO's. Also pretty sure most the money in the MMO Market is made through micro transactions.
    So you think there are F2P MMOs making more money than WoW? I'd be curious as to where you saw that info.

Remember - games are made to make money. Whether it is subs, micro transactions, sales, etc... They are all rolled into the total money that a game makes. Ignoring any major ones of them is basically turning a blind eye on the parts you don't want to look at (even though they are generally the most important part).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razirm View Post
    Can I borrow your crystal ball? I'd like tonight's Euro millions numbers
    It's pretty darn obvious considering WoW has been dropping subscribers during all of Cataclysm, and we only, yes only went just above 10 million players again even with the launch of a whole new expansion. I actually expected it to go above 12 million but it seems like the interest is lacking and is only going to continue to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vervacious View Post
    These numbers are good for three reasons:

1) Cata sucked, so Wow players are cautious.
    2) GW2 has only been out for a month and it sold 2 million copies. I expect Wow to reclaim some of those subs when players get bored (shouldn't take too long, endgame is a disaster).
    3) MoP was initially rejected by many Wow players as silly, kiddo nonsense and haven't bought it yet. Subs should increase over time if Blizzard successfully launches content patches, and as players learn that Pandas =/ Kung Fu. From everything I've read, MoP is a solid expansion and that should draw in ex-players over time.
    totally agree

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    It's pretty darn obvious considering WoW has been dropping subscribers during all of Cataclysm, and we only, yes only went just above 10 million players again even with the launch of a whole new expansion. I actually expected it to go above 12 million but it seems like the interest is lacking and is only going to continue to drop.
    Yup and next month they have annual pass cancellations, its only down from here

Deleted
    awsome news

An 8 year old game still sells 2.7 million copies in the first week despite the horrible flop of Cata that drove away millions of people? That's successful in my book. And Mists is actually very good, so that may help moving forward.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2012-10-04 at 08:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    An 8 year old game still sells 2.7 million copies in the first week despite the horrible flop of Cata that drove away millions of people? That's successful in my book. And Mists is actually very good, so that may help moving forward.
    yea but dude be honest i mean if they sold 2 would you come in here and say WHELP THATS IT FOLKS YOU WERE ALL CORRECT TIME TO PACK IT IN BLIZZARD. Of course not for some reason everyone has a horse in this game but what kinda fucked up horse is it?
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    2.7 out of 10 mil.

Makes sense why they made a romanticized version of China as their expac.

Deleted
    wow so much bashing in this thread... i think it was pretty obvious that it would sell less than cata considering the dropp/hate it got, and also not suprised it sold less than the other expansions due to the age and as i stated again the dissapointment that cata was. I also doubt that most people who did the anual pass would leave as soon as they can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervacious View Post
    These numbers are good for three reasons:

1) Cata sucked, so Wow players are cautious.
    2) GW2 has only been out for a month and it sold 2 million copies. I expect Wow to reclaim some of those subs when players get bored (shouldn't take too long, endgame is a disaster).
    3) MoP was initially rejected by many Wow players as silly, kiddo nonsense and haven't bought it yet. Subs should increase over time if Blizzard successfully launches content patches, and as players learn that Pandas =/ Kung Fu. From everything I've read, MoP is a solid expansion and that should draw in ex-players over time.
    Well said.

Mists is a much better expansion than the previous one, and it will show in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    2.7 out of 10 mil.

Makes sense why they made a romanticized version of China as their expac.
    Complete with grind and farming LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL It makes total sense now...
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-10-04 at 09:18 PM.
    The hammer comes down:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Mists is a much better expansion than the previous one, and it will show in time.
    While I am happy to see a sub increase and a good amount of sales.

I am reserving judgement on the expansion until we see if we are going to have 10 months with no content again.

If they manage to avoid this I will be a happy WoWer

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    So you think there are F2P MMOs making more money than WoW? I'd be curious as to where you saw that info.

Remember - games are made to make money. Whether it is subs, micro transactions, sales, etc... They are all rolled into the total money that a game makes. Ignoring any major ones of them is basically turning a blind eye on the parts you don't want to look at (even though they are generally the most important part).
    Yea ur misinterpreting what im saying. All i said was most of the money in the MMO Market is made through micro transactions. And from that you somehow get me saying that theres a F2P MMO making more money than WoW... Nice very nice. Kay ima try to explain in more words. All of the Non sub based MMO's combined make more total profit than WoW makes off subs. There are more F2P MMO players than there are Sub players. Players spend more money on Micro transactions in a month than a person subbed for a month.

So pls dont misinterpret that.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    or be logical as is with every game people lose interest specially when the game itself is already 8 years old.
    I've seen people using the "this game is old, people have been playing for X years, so it's normal they tire/burn out/etc." since even before TBC was released, so it has lost quite a bit of its credibility.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I've seen people using the "this game is old, people have been playing for X years, so it's normal they tire/burn out/etc." since even before TBC was released, so it has lost quite a bit of its credibility.
    id say its the other way around, if anything it should have become more likely to be true by now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    By people you surely mean the top guilds only. On many realms not a single guild managed to clear it completely though.
    Back in T11, our rather casual raiding team got through 3/4 of the fights in heroic, and there were even quite a few guilds on our mostly dead server that finished the place. It was a pretty good tier, far better than the other two of cata. Shall see how this new one compares as time goes on.

OT: Still not sure why people care hugely about sales numbers, but it looks like it was about the standard for a WoW expac to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Yea ur misinterpreting what im saying. All i said was most of the money in the MMO Market is made through micro transactions. And from that you somehow get me saying that theres a F2P MMO making more money than WoW... Nice very nice. Kay ima try to explain in more words. All of the Non sub based MMO's combined make more total profit than WoW makes off subs. There are more F2P MMO players than there are Sub players. Players spend more money on Micro transactions in a month than a person subbed for a month.

So pls dont misinterpret that.
    That is what I originally thought you meant. Then, when I thought about it, and it's kinda silly to compare 1 game to an entire faction of other games within a genre. Then, claim that where the 1 game makes most of its money should not be payed attention to.

So, I thought that maybe you knew something I didn't (i.e. that there was a F2P game that actually made a ton of money). Apparently I was mistaken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    awsome news
    Why???
    They are selling us the same stuff over and over and over again.
    And their products don't even have to be good because people will buy it anyways.