Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people mistake convenience with "easy and hard?"

Was rep grinding hard and took a great deal of skill and only the BESTEST HARDCORIEST PLAYARS EVAR got anything to exalted?

No. The only thing required for any rep was time. Rep grinding is just one big massive time sink. Doing the same 5 or so dailies every day does not take

any kind of skill. All it takes is boredom. On top of that, doing the same rep grinding across 3 or more alts does not take any skill, either. It takes

excessive boredom and possible addiction to WoW to want to do.

To anyone upset by this change, tell me, what exactly are you going to miss about the older rep system? That it won't take you a month to grind a faction,

it'll only take 3 weeks? Lawd have murseh.

Took one week before the litle whiners won.

Not that I care that much..
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Kind makes sense, once you become revered, people would know about your good deeds, and talk about you more. So any futher good deeds would seem more important as your name gets passed around.

Deleted
    Faster rep for alts? Why do we even have to farm the same reputation again? I have 3 alts I use ONLY for crafting, are you telling me I have to do the same dailies I did for a whole month on my main on all my alts to get the recipes they need to craft stuff properly... Why can't we just have access to recipes on whole battle.net account if 1 character is revered/exalted? I don't care about gearing my alts, I only want the damn crafting recipes without having to farm the same content on 4 different chars for a month each...

I've figured it out.

The 2x rep is account wide, which you get at revered. They probably couldn't figure out how to make it so its 2x account wide EXCEPT your main (which still needs to get to exalted). So rather than just figure out how to solve the problem, they pretended its an extra bonus they were giving everyone. It's not. I guarantee you that if this unlocked when you hit exalted, there would be no 'bonus'.

I do not like this.

Why not have just done my solution and made the tabards grant rep, require exalted to purchase and are BoA?

Pro blue post! I love it!

Only way this change could have been better would have been Account wide Reputation. Crybabies on this forum and The official forums crying hard about "WAAHH GAME IS TOO EASY NOW" need to step back and think

Theres different Definitions of hard. theres "challenging hard" "Nintendo hard" and "Artificially hard"

Challenging hard is what players should want. this is the intelligent way to make games hard.

Nintendo hard refers to the practice of older console games to inflate game difficulty to compensate for simplistic AI; as an example, AI controlled players in the SNES mario kart being able to leap obstacles, having permanent weapons that can be thrown forward with pinpoint accuracy and getting speed boosts when behind the player.

Atrificually hard refers to making games hard via artificially slowing down speed of play, such as wows reputations, console Q.T.Es and some older console games having obstacles that you were guarenteed to lose the first time through.

a current example of challenging hard and Artificially hard can be seen in the Television program "Wipeout!". The first Wipeout course has challenges designed to be Artificially hard, such as the steering wheel wall, the vibrating platforms, the landing areas after large jumps that raise and lower and the horizontal poles near the end of the track (all of these being human controlled and designed to intentionally cause the contestants to wipe out increases the level of artificial difficulty.

the first track is more about who can swim the fastest than who can complete the course the fastest, because the first track isn't designed to be winnable. they WANT everyone to wipe out, to improve the viewing experience.

on the other hand. an example of challenging hard is the final wipeout challenge, the Wipeout zone. this course is designed to be winnable, and you are encouraged to complete the final challenge without wiping out.

how does this wall of text relate to wow? Reputation grinds becoming a required part of gameplay (as they are still, as Valor gear is still has reputation requirements to buy) makes the game Artificially hard, as it requires you to do the same rep grind up to revered (at least) at least X times where X is the number of characters you plan to gear for raiding.

this new system falls more under the category of "challenging hard" where you still have to get a factions reputation to Revered before the bonus will kick in for your alts.

I personally disagree with the player getting x2 rep from revered to exalted "just because", but its not my call, blizzard made that choice. the rest of this rep change is, in my opinion, a great change designed to encourage players to play there alts more often.
    Last edited by Kazlehoff; 2012-10-04 at 08:31 PM.

I'd probably prefer if they just increased reputation gained on all other characters, up to revered as well - and kept the stretch from revered to exalted the same, for all characters. No power is (to my knowledge) gained by getting exalted. It's pure cosmetic and fun, hence I think it's fair that it keeps the same level of difficulty. Also, as pets and mounts are account wide, there's hardly a reason to reach exalted on more than one character.

Quote Originally Posted by Szilia View Post
    I'd probably prefer if they just increased reputation gained on all other characters, up to revered as well - and kept the stretch from revered to exalted the same, for all characters. No power is (to my knowledge) gained by getting exalted. It's pure cosmetic and fun, hence I think it's fair that it keeps the same level of difficulty. Also, as pets and mounts are account wide, there's hardly a reason to reach exalted on more than one character.
    Im pretty sure Account wide Reputation is something that would be pretty hard to include, and would unbalance things for players who have 8 max level characters opposed to 2. the player with 8 characters could do reputation increasing dailies on every character and be revered within a week, whereas the player with 2 could take 4x longer to get to the same point.

the change as it stands now does not give incerased benefit for players who have 10+ alts opposed to those with only 1. this seems, to me a better, more fair to all players, system.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyterran View Post
    Ya'll can get your jimmies unrustled, they are implementing it in the future, by the time most of us are Exalted already.
    Exactly.

"Available in a future patch" means 5.1 or beyond, at which point all of the rep will be either meaningless (gear rewards) or already completed account wide (vanity mounts.) Really, the only thing that this will help is profession recipes (which will also be out dated and useless) and cloud serpent training which doesn't take more than about 15 minutes a day anyway.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    My only concern is that I am trying to earn Bloodsail & Insane titles on only my main. Ive had higher rep with the goblin factions (BB, Ratchet, etc) on all other toons. Will this help to get my goblin reps back after I trash them? or destroy my progress so far???

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exalted used to means something. Last I checked AN ENTIRE FACTION THINKING THAT YOU'RE A GOD AMONG MEN was a big deal. Now according to this, it take more effort to get from honored to revered than it does from revered to exalted

Honored to revered = 12000 rep, regular rate
    Revered to Exalted = 21000 rep, at double rate, so the same time it would take to generate 10,500 rep.

Math doesn't make sense. Why would the 4th Level of a reputation be easier to obtain than the 3rd? I understand that a rep grind isn't fun for everyone, but when they mention that for Hardcore Raiding, or for PvP, they state that there are other things that you can do with the game. Rep grind isn't required in the least, there are several other options for gearing your character (Professions are a good example). Besides, Honored and Revered aren't really that hard to hit. to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Wow, Blizzard are just all over the place on this topic. Whether they are right or wrong the main impression I get is a design team who aren't in control of this situation and some ideas that clearly weren't thought through.
    you would think that at first.
    But they knew people wouldn't want to farm so much on so many alts, so now it's " in a future patch" to keep players in, and make them delay their grind, and keep their subs.
    Most things (like release date, patch dates, posts like this one) have an economic reason behind them, whether you like it or not. Their goal is profit in the end too.
    By not implementing those features on launch, they will keep players happy, and make more money in the process, probably more than if they did the changes from the start.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please tell me this is just cata reps, if they nerfed The Insane again, I think i'm done pouring time into this game.

Just for those people that are all confused by the fact that the trip from Revered to Exalted also gets double reputation, it's because of limitations in the game code.

In order for them to do this, they have to switch on a flag sitting in the back of our accounts. This flag can't specify characters, thus once the first character hits the flag (in this case, Revered reputation) then the double reputation will apply to ALL characters on the account, including the one that hit the flag in the first place. This is why they didn't just half the amount to Exalted, because they never intended us to get double during the period anyways. It's a side effect they decided just to live with when they added the ability for alts to get the bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilnezhara View Post
    Please tell me this is just cata reps, if they nerfed The Insane again, I think i'm done pouring time into this game.
    if thats what did it for you, then you are not playing this game for the right reasons.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

They need to make all the gear accessible at revered and leave the vanity items like mounts and etc at exalted. That fixes all the issues with Rep grinds.
    Last edited by pb0000; 2012-10-04 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilnezhara View Post
    People stopped caring about that achievement long ago.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    This would be an awesome change.

The only thing i don't like is gaining double rep from revered to exalted? Why would that be... Then the quests could just give double rep naturally instead.