Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Made this the main-thread for XCOM: Enemy Unknown discussion, so keep everything here

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenFrodo View Post
    Made this the main-thread for XCOM: Enemy Unknown discussion, so keep everything here
    /highfive FF

I'm so pumped for this game!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking forward to it too. Even taking the ninth off to get extra playtime with it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Yeah, definitely still a day one purchase for me, despite the changes and minor foibles have, the game as a whole looks absolutely awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are lots of videos in the demo files so as long as you're use a bink player you can see lots of whats coming.

Personally I was hoping for more gear variety but I'm looking forward too taking on that base and then the temple ship. The ethereals look completely badass.

Anyone else catch the mention of a game lasting about thirty missions? That's a bit on the short side for my tastes. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a straight remake someday.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Anyone else catch the mention of a game lasting about thirty missions? That's a bit on the short side for my tastes. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a straight remake someday.
    Well, there is Xenonauts. Even then, though, I don't feel like it's an entirely faithful remake. What I want is almost the exact same game that X-Com: UFO Defense was, with updated graphics and updated audio -- Not NEW graphics and NEW audio, just updated. The overall presentation of the original game is unmatched, either by Xenonauts OR by XCOM: Enemy Unknown, from what I've seen so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, "updated." Not new or re-imagined, just updated. Update the graphics to handle higher resolutions and higher quality audio and leave the rest as is please.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-10-04 at 05:07 PM.

Deleted
    If you want this game cheap then you can preorder from http://yuplay.ru/single.php?type=buy&id=3382

I used them for borderlands 2 and everything worked out fine. Hoping for more of the same with this game. Worked at £10

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    Well, there is Xenonauts. Even then, though, I don't feel like it's an entirely faithful remake. What I want is almost the exact same game that X-Com: UFO Defense was, with updated graphics and updated audio -- Not NEW graphics and NEW audio, just updated. The overall presentation of the original game is unmatched, either by Xenonauts OR by XCOM: Enemy Unknown, from what I've seen so far.
    In my opinion, it's fine if they use new graphics and new audio. What I don't want is new mechanics. I want the game to behave just like the classic did, anything else is irrelevant in comparison.

I'm hoping for the "Classic" difficulty to be true to its name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    In my opinion, it's fine if they use new graphics and new audio. What I don't want is new mechanics. I want the game to behave just like the classic did, anything else is irrelevant in comparison.

I'm hoping for the "Classic" difficulty to be true to its name.
    Gamespy and IGN both have dev blogs up where they talk about 'classic' difficulty. I dont have sound here at work, but you might want to check them out?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Gamespy and IGN both have dev blogs up where they talk about 'classic' difficulty. I dont have sound here at work, but you might want to check them out?
    Can't do it at work or it'll mess up the video encoding, but I'll have a gander at it in the evening. Thanks!

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 10:40 AM ----------

I just stumbled across this article. With mod support, I guess that even in the worst-case scenario, someone knowledgeable will feel like me and make a mod to harken back to the olden days. Yayness!

I prefer the new style over the old one im afraid. I like the new time unit system makes it very streamlined (no more counting my units etc!) I do hope we have base battles back in as I really want to experience all of that horror of losing the game if i mess up my base defense!

The difficulty modes (classic ironman :O) seem interesting.

My pre-order is already in place bring it on!

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually went out and bought ufo defense on steam last night as well as terror from the deep. Wanted to bring back some glory day memories. Got my ass handed to me over and over again. lol

Had to run windowed and tiny since my screen doesn't support scaling, thought it did, but it was definitely a trial by fire all over again. Wow it is still such a great game. So, again, update please not re-imagine.

Not sure about the Xenonauts but it looks interesting. Might chip in the cash but its not even to Beta yet is it?

I actually went out and bought ufo defense on steam last night as well as terror from the deep. Wanted to bring back some glory day memories. Got my ass handed to me over and over again. lol

Had to run windowed and tiny since my screen doesn't support scaling, thought it did, but it was definitely a trial by fire all over again. Wow it is still such a great game. So, again, update please not re-imagine.

Not sure about the Xenonauts but it looks interesting. Might chip in the cash but its not even to Beta yet is it?
    You should check out the OpenXcom mod instead. It's basically the same graphics, sounds and game, just minus a million bugs and issues that it had/has and it works on modern computers.

You can play it now if you preorder, which I've already done. It's alright. It is, again, a reimagining in its own way; it's set in the Cold War era. None of the alien races are the same (and I can pretty much say that of XCOM: EU as well -- even if they have the same names, those aliens are NOT the same ones from the original.) There was a certain 90's flavor that the original X-Com had that both new games lack.

I've been playing Black Mesa lately, and I think it's a fantastic representation of what I'd like to see happen with X-Com. Black Mesa is not Half-Life reimagined; Black Mesa is Half-Life with a fresh coat of paint, and for that, it's brilliant. That's all I or any other long-time X-Com fan has ever wanted for the series, and yet, it seems like with all the X-Com remakes out there, nobody gets that.

XCOM: EU's flavor is very modern. Modern games tend to glorify the Armed Forces, put you in control of Total Badasses™, and dehumanize the enemy as much as possible. Part of what made Sectoids, Snakemen, Ethereals, Floaters and Mutons so intriguing in the original game was that they didn't seem all that different from us. They were bipeds (except for Floaters, of course). They were clearly intelligent. Had things been a little different, you might even think we could get along. The aliens in XCOM: EU on the other hand are utterly monstrous and impossible to relate to. I am completely unafraid of being killed by monsters - monsters don't exist. But an intelligent, calculating murderer, somewhere out there in the woods, hiding in the barn, shooting at you out the window? That's both possible and terrifying.

It wasn't just the strategy element that made the original game. It was also the horror aspect, and that aspect is completely gone from today's takes on it.

(Disclaimer: I am most definitely purchasing both Xeno and EU, I just don't see myself playing it 15 years from now like I do with the original. I've played through and beaten the original three times in 2012 alone, and go back to it at least once a year.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    Disclaimer: I am most definitely purchasing both Xeno and EU, I just don't see myself playing it 15 years from now like I do with the original. I've played through and beaten the original three times in 2012 alone, and go back to it at least once a year.
    Oh I've already prepurchased EU and may chip in to Xeno at some point. I'm in the same boat as you here. In 15 years I could see myself still reminiscing about how good the original was. Not how good the re-imagining was. Then again XCOM is hardly the only game in the same boat. I loved Colonization and was not impressed with its remake. I loved TIE Fighter, but dread how dumbed down a remake would probably be. Early Caesar games compared to later ones. Etc, etc, etc... Its going to be fun to play a time or two. But I doubt I'm going to remember it anywhere near as fondly.

Hmmm, has anyone tried out UFO:Alien Invasion recently? I completely lost track of the mod myself and have no idea what state it's currently in.

Deleted
    glad i pre-ordered the game but is it bad that the main reason was the TF2 pyro misc

10+ Year Old Account
    Just pre-ordered today so i can have my blue Guile lol.

PRELOAD is available.

As in, you can let Steam download it early.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 09:22 AM ----------

So the big question is, where are you putting your home base?

• North America: 'Air and Space' All aircraft and aircraft weapons cost 50 per cent less to purchase, build and maintain.
    • Europe: 'Expert Knowledge' Laboratories and Workshops cost 50 per cent less to build and maintain.
    • South America: 'We Have Ways' Autopsies and interrogations are completed instantly.
    • Africa: 'All In' Monthly X-Com funding increases by 50 per cent.
    • Asia: 'Future Combat' All projects in the Foundry and Officer Training School cost 50 per cent less.

I will do NA if that bonus includes putting Satellites.... Africa. The South America option might be good but I see it being not applicable late game as you should have all of them researched. So it runs out? Africa is a full on bonus all the time but I think the NA countries pay the most overall for protection
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath