Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Feasible to level without questing 85-90?

Hey guys.
    I used to quite enjoy leveling in WoW previously. The story tended to be fun, and I found it quite relaxing.
    Unfortunally, that is no longer the case. Having played some other newer MMO's, the solo play just is not fun anymore. It lacks too much for me.
    I won't talk about exactly what is the problem for me, as I don't want to start a fanboy war between different games, it's just my opinion.

So, with that said, how feasible is it to level mainly through dungeons? How many times do I have to run each dungeon to reach 90? I'm worried that I will be completely burned out on the dungeons by the time I hit 90, and then I still need to do heroics for gear...
    Also, as a quite bad PvPer, is it at all worthwhile trying to level through battlegrounds?

Any other ways to level if I feel quite bored with running around questing?

85-86 takes about 10-15 dungeon runs.
    86-87 takes about 15-20 runs
    After that point, it will take closer to 30 runs for each level
    And 89-90 through dungeons would probably take closer to 60 runs since I was only getting 2% per run.

TL;DR : you absolutely, 100%, will not ever want to run a dungeon again after hitting 90 this way. It also takes about 10 times as long.

There are only 4 dungeons available pre-level 90, so unless you especially like those dungeons I think you'll find yourself getting fed up of the sight of them.
    I'm not sure how many dungeon runs total it would take to level, but unless you are willing to heal/tank for quick queues I wouldn't bother.

Have you tried the questing in Pandaria?
    The experience is actually a lot different than earlier questing, or at least I felt that (some of the Townlong Steppes quests started to get a little grindy but you'll be 90 by then with some dungeon runs thrown in).

After the first run of a dungeon, the amount of EXP you get drops by a fair bit. This is due to the quests you can complete the first time through, but not on subsequent runs (obviously).

For what it's worth, I made sure I ran every dungeon at least once on my way up to level 90. I barely ever benefitted from rested experience (rushed a Monk from level 1 to level 90 in about 5 days), and only used the Monk EXP buff once (a 20% buff that lasts for 1 hour above level 85). I did every quest in every zone: I dinged 90 on the very last quest of Townlong Steppes, meaning I had the entirety of Dread Wastes to do at level 90.

So if doing each dungeon once (there's 4 dungeons you can do while levelling) meant I could skip an entire zone, then chain running them could be effective. You'd have to do quite a lot of them though, I think. You may get quite burned out on them.

I don't think it'd be too slow, though...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge40 View Post
    There are only 4 dungeons available pre-level 90, so unless you especially like those dungeons I think you'll find yourself getting fed up of the sight of them.
    I'm not sure how many dungeon runs total it would take to level, but unless you are willing to heal/tank for quick queues I wouldn't bother.

Have you tried the questing in Pandaria?
    The experience is actually a lot different than earlier questing, or at least I felt that (some of the Townlong Steppes quests started to get a little grindy but you'll be 90 by then with some dungeon runs thrown in).
    It's not the questing that bothers me. The questlines look fine so far (I'm slightly over half way to 86 from questing). It's the solo gameplay and combat I don't enjoy.

Seems dungeoning my way to 90 won't be a very good idea though. Anyone know about PvP? You do get XP from that as well, right? Is it in any way worthwhile?

the first 15 people who hit 90 on my server all did dungeons only. Its the fastest way if you have a good group

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    85-86 takes about 10-15 dungeon runs.
    86-87 takes about 15-20 runs
    After that point, it will take closer to 30 runs for each level
    And 89-90 through dungeons would probably take closer to 60 runs since I was only getting 2% per run.

TL;DR : you absolutely, 100%, will not ever want to run a dungeon again after hitting 90 this way. It also takes about 10 times as long.
    No way.

I leveled only by doing dungeons.

From 89 to 90 it was exactly this:

Shado Pan Monastery would give me 7% exp and the palace would give me 4%.

That is, using the banner that gives exp at the right moment.

I've been leveling a monk ...slowly so I haven't really quested much in level 85 to 90 content but leveling without questing probably isn't the best idea and here's why. Might as well start getting rep with the various Pandarian factions for gear and whatnot cause you'll probably need something in the end. (or I could be wrong but at least that's how I rationalize it.)

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    Hey guys.
    I used to quite enjoy leveling in WoW previously. The story tended to be fun, and I found it quite relaxing.
    Unfortunally, that is no longer the case. Having played some other newer MMO's, the solo play just is not fun anymore. It lacks too much for me.
    I won't talk about exactly what is the problem for me, as I don't want to start a fanboy war between different games, it's just my opinion.

So, with that said, how feasible is it to level mainly through dungeons? How many times do I have to run each dungeon to reach 90? I'm worried that I will be completely burned out on the dungeons by the time I hit 90, and then I still need to do heroics for gear...
    Also, as a quite bad PvPer, is it at all worthwhile trying to level through battlegrounds?

Any other ways to level if I feel quite bored with running around questing?
    if you're on a pve realm or exceptionally low pop realm that may be why solo questing is boring to you. I leveled for the first time on a pvp realm(yea i was a carebear) and it was a fricken blast. Always looking over my shoulder for them sneaky horde! But there's also realid grouping. Find a friend to level with and go to his server or them go to yours. The dungeon runs are quick but like someone stated you will HATE dungeons after you're done leveling to 90.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    What does "feasable" mean? is it possible? Ofc it is.

But if you hate questing in WoW and are afraid to burn out in dungeons because then you also "have to" do them in heroics for more gear - I wonder why you even bother at all? Sounds like it is a chore to you and no fun at all either way.

Ofc you can level in a mix of quests, dailies, pvp and 5-mans. Add to that exploration bonuses and xp from mining, herbing (if you have those proffs) and even archaelogy - there are quite some ways to contribute to the levelling process.
    Feasible, meaning is it realisticly doable under the conditions I set, ie, not burning myself out.

As for things I have to do, for me WoW is 100% about raiding with my friends. I also expect that I will get allot of fun out of challange modes. I also used to enjoy solo play and leveling, but I no longer do.

Had there been a "Ding 90" button in WoW now, I would have pressed it. For myself, I wish there was. Unfortunally, this seems to be a case where I have to go against my usual mantra of "Don't play things that you don't enjoy", simply because I have to play things I don't enjoy to be able to play what I do enjoy.

Unfortunate, but thats the way it is.

Deleted
    Dungeons gets really slow at lvl 87+ (palace+monastery are both horrible exp aswell), and even then it's only really faster if you have a good group with guild banners.

You also get rep from doing townslong+dreaded wastes quests, so I wouldn't skip those zones.

You probably won't want to skip quests. I think you need to do some to open up the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. And if you think you can fly in, then think again. The only place to learn Pandaland flying is from the trainers in that zone.

Do the quests.

Deleted
    I think it's better to grit your teeth and quest to 90, so you can run dungeons at 90 without being fed up with them already (there are 5 more heroic dungeons then normals, so they will be fresh, but you'll totally hate the 4 that are also in normal mode). You can also try to find some (new) friends to quest with, so it won't be a solo experience

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    I think it's better to grit your teeth and quest to 90, so you can run dungeons at 90 without being fed up with them already (there are 5 more heroic dungeons then normals, so they will be fresh, but you'll totally hate the 4 that are also in normal mode). You can also try to find some (new) friends to quest with, so it won't be a solo experience
    remember to use your banner while killing mobs.

When we did it we had the 15% up for every trash pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    You probably won't want to skip quests. I think you need to do some to open up the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. And if you think you can fly in, then think again. The only place to learn Pandaland flying is from the trainers in that zone.

Do the quests.
    Theres one point where you can jump over the wall simply by opening a door and walking up the tower.

Deleted
    If you hate quests, and will get bored of dungeons, then do PvP.

If you're bad at PvP, it's a good reason to practice and get better. You never know, you might find a side of the game you never knew you enjoyed

Also, the exp gain from BGs is not bad. I've levelled several chars with bgs. When AV is on CtA you will get a lot of Exp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

Do the quests.
    Actually you can run through kun'lai to the shado pan stronghold by serpent's spine and jump over the wall, that's how i got in

Quote Originally Posted by Dela2k10 View Post
    Actually you can run through kun'lai to the shado pan stronghold by serpent's spine and jump over the wall, that's how i got in
    I always found that kind of hilarious. Supposedly the whole zone was "locked away" from all the people on the continent, but yet a huge section of the Serpent Spine, which seems to be always manned by the Shado-Pan to keep out the Mantid, sits right on the edge of the zone. Yes there are no stairs down into it, but you would think the Shado-Pan or adventurers on the wall could use a rope to repel down. Even after unlocking the zone we find out the Mogu just went through some random tunnel they dug out, some "lock" that turned out to be.

just queue for AV while questing. dungeons + banner stacking when you first login rested are a very fast way to get a few bubbles. unrested though... AV+questing is the way to go.

smile!! Hearts loves you!!

Quote Originally Posted by tuuvaak View Post
    just queue for AV while questing. dungeons + banner stacking when you first login rested are a very fast way to get a few bubbles. unrested though... AV+questing is the way to go.
    AV isnt the 10 min zerg it was on release. You have to actually knock out a few towers now. Better off queuing for the weekend BG or random(with av and isle "thumbs down")
    85-86 seemed slower than 86-87 in dungeons for me. Grinding out 88 on my first alt in dungeons and hitting Towlong/Dread Wastes for the rep intros. Leveling on a PvP server with 1500-2k ques means a lot of ganking :/. Not looking forward to dread wastes now that there is 100+ allies doin dailies there.
    Unlocking Vale also takes 5 mins. Its not a chain and you can pick it up from the first town in Kun-lai regardless of what quests you have done in pandaria.