Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    From what I saw he doesn't understand OOP very well. So a basic book like that would be a better option in my opinion.

After he understands how Java code should work then algorithm will be the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You know what's sad I looked at them briefly and makes me fearful of being asked how my programming skills are by potential employers cause I have forgotten so much and I'm not even out yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    From what I saw he doesn't understand OOP very well. So a basic book like that would be a better option in my opinion.

After he understands how Java code should work then algorithm will be the way.
    Been very slowly working on programming for the last two year, but only within the last month have I put more focus on it and only within the last few days have I been putting extreme focus on it(Haven't played WoW in a month and haven't played GW2 in 3 days, I have no social life so no comment on time.). I think I'm making good progress on Java so far. I've heard of OOP before but never really understood what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Been very slowly working on programming for the last two year, but only within the last month have I put more focus on it and only within the last few days have I been putting extreme focus on it(Haven't played WoW in a month and haven't played GW2 in 3 days, I have no social life so no comment on time.). I think I'm making good progress on Java so far. I've heard of OOP before but never really understood what it is.
    To program in Java you MUST understand OOP.

I wrote a text about classes, methods and variables in Java. It's a bit big. Do you want me to post it?

Edit:

Just one thing you have to know about OOP:

In OOP it takes longer to develop stuffs but if you do everything in the correct way you can do maintenance fast.

Keep in mind that companies spend most of their time (and money) with maintenances then developing them.
    Last edited by Thyranne; 2012-10-05 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, thank you for that. Just send me it in a PM. Sorry I couldn't answer earlier but I have a 45 min bus ride home after school.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Ok, thank you for that. Just send me it in a PM. Sorry I couldn't answer earlier but I have a 45 min bus ride home after school.
    Assuming you're the OP, what you were basically accomplishing in your first post was object-oriented programming. You were actually very close to using overriding and inheritance.

Inheritance is basically when you have one object and another object inherits properties, methods, or what have you from it. You can also override parameters for your classes or use base objects that automatically set the value type of the field for you when its created. This allows your classes to be reusable and flexible.

I picked up 3 books in the last week: Visual Basic 2010 Developer's Handbook, Visual C# 2010 Step-by-Step (John Sharp), and XNA Game Studio 4.0 Programming; I'm having a blast with them all. I was certified in VB6 back in 2002 and I tell you what; procedural programming may have been a headache but at least it made sense right off the bat; object-oriented programming, because I have an extensive background in procedural, almost gave me an aneurysm but it's insanely easy once you get the basic concepts down. Stick with it, man. You'll get it.