Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Living Steel sucks!

I hate living steel. As a blacksmith/miner I hate that the ultimate metal in the game cannot be made or collected by me in any way and i have to depend entirely on another profession to get it. It's not like it's just a high level addition to high level patterns like arcanite or truegold was, no IT'S THE BASE METAL FOR ALL HIGH LEVEL PATTERNS, you need it to even make a freaking belt buckle. WTF?? I was expecting like a titanium or maybe even a hardened version of ghost iron but noooo, it's a metal we have no access to at all except from a completely unrelated profession. Oh and the best part is it's massively expensive and since it's the base metal, you'll be needing a ton of it. Good luck if you intend to make several pieces of armor, you better be rich or have friends who aren't cheep. Thanks for screwing over my profession blizz.

Alch alt ftw? See you concern tbh, but Im just glad I have my lvl 85 alch still getting a use
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you are dependant on another profession, just like Alchemy is dependant on Herbalism/Fishing. JC dependant on Mining, inscription dependant on herbalism.

I do guess thou that a profession being dependant on two other professions is kinda weird.

But in the meantime.

WTS Living Steel transmute.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

Having the same problem. Im making the jewecrafter mounts but its a damn pain to find alchemist for all the living steel. I should be able to make them with JEWELCRAFTING since it is my profession.
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

Quote Originally Posted by Emane View Post
    So you are dependant on another profession, just like Alchemy is dependant on Herbalism/Fishing. JC dependant on Mining, inscription dependant on herbalism.

I do guess thou that a profession being dependant on two other professions is kinda weird.

But in the meantime.

it's not a gathering profession I'm dependent on, it's another crafting profession I'm dependent on. That's totally different. A crafting profession that has it's on gathering profession that it in turn needs. This living steel thing not only screws over blacksmiths but jewelcrafters too and just gives alchemists way too much power over two other professions. I don't see leatherworkers needing to make mail armor entirely out of ghost iron bars or enchanters using Kyparite ore to do their enchanting.

Professions fall into two categories: gathering and crafting. The idea for much of the game has been that most crafting professions are dependent on a gathering profession, not another crafting profession. Mining feeds engineering and blacksmithing, skinning feeds leatherworking and some tailoring, and herbalism feeds alchemy and inscription. Enchanting and tailoring are mostly fed by drops from all mobs (cloth for tailoring and quest items/world greens and blues for enchanting).

Of course every crafting profession needs some materials from other crafting professions, especially for high-level recipes. But to be entirely dependent on another crafting profession for a basic component, when that is completely out of character for the game, is a valid complaint.

I really think Living Steel should be a mining recipe as well- it wouldn't hurt to have two professions with the ability to make a core component of high-level recipes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make an alt, level alchemy. I made 3 alchemists so I'm good
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Quote Originally Posted by Emane View Post

But in the meantime.

Yea but theres a difference with those a one is a creating profession and the other is a profession that gets you the materials you need if someone were to be alchemist and blacksmith they would have to buy the things they need on the auction house to even level the profession or have an alt that can get the items for them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboA View Post
    Having the same problem. Im making the jewecrafter mounts but its a damn pain to find alchemist for all the living steel. I should be able to make them with JEWELCRAFTING since it is my profession.
    I'm also having the same problem. I'm making living steel with my alchemy but it's a damn pain to find a miner for all the trillium bars. I should be able to make them with ALCHEMY since it is my profession.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I saw this coming in Cata with to many of cross profession items so I stopped leveling anything outside of Inscription just for the shoulder enchants. Prof's are 100% pointless unless you're a raider or one of those wierdos who holds the AH hostage plays the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    I'm also having the same problem. I'm making living steel with my alchemy but it's a damn pain to find a miner for all the trillium bars. I should be able to make them with ALCHEMY since it is my profession.
    In before the shit storm of "my profession" and "bars" being said by an alchemist.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    Buy ghost iron bars.
    Transmute ghost iron bars (get procs even if your transmute mastery)
    Transmute living steel.

I fail to see your problem.

Honestly, I think truegold should have been in with mining, same with living steel. Just like it was in wrath with titansteel. Just take the living steel CD out of Alchemy and put it in mining. It's what I hated about truegold. I had to drop my hunter's skinning/leatherworking for herb/alchemy just so I could make truegold on my warlock, and make volatile elements on my hunter so I could have enough to make truegold, while sometimes making another truegold.

I have to agree with OP on this one. It is kinda lame that we cant make it ourselves, and not only can we not make it ourselves there is also a 1 day CD on the bars. That is going to make transmutes very expensive.

Yeah, engineering needs an obscene amount of living steel too, as if having Trillium bars require four pieces of ore wasn't bad enough. Considering I'm already on the ragged edge staying up until 3 every night trying to get raid ready on my main, my alchemist dk is kind of on the low end of the priorities list. Fweh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Buy ghost iron bars.
    Transmute ghost iron bars (get procs even if your transmute mastery)
    Transmute living steel.

I fail to see your problem.
    Buy living steel.
    Make blacksmithing/JC/engineering stuff.

See I can do that too.

(Also, say hi to Mr. Irony, I'm not sure you've met.)

Deleted
    On my server there's no big difference in price between living steel and the mats. I would just buy it from the AH. But now I know why our blacksmith keeps harrassing me to transmute that for him.

I may be one of the few here, but I like the idea of making crafting more intertwined with other professions. Does it suck individually? Sure it does! But having this has two benefits (albeit, they may not be noticable yet):
    1) You'll need to get more mats from other people, this can widen your friends list. I know some people like to play single player, but this is still an MMO.
    2) The mats become more rare and the recipes become more sought after, and most importantly it feels that much better when you obtain it! In the last couple expansions everyone had everything and it didn't feel good to get the gear crafted.

I fully agree with OP, living steel by alchemists is a very stupid idea for such a base metal really

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    it's not a gathering profession I'm dependent on, it's another crafting profession I'm dependent on. That's totally different. A crafting profession that has it's on gathering profession that it in turn needs. This living steel thing not only screws over blacksmiths but jewelcrafters too and just gives alchemists way too much power over two other professions. I don't see leatherworkers needing to make mail armor entirely out of ghost iron bars or enchanters using Kyparite ore to do their enchanting.
    ^^ Yup. A gathering profession being dependent on a crafting is stupid. So now a crafting profession provides the best base material as well as other high end crafted goods. Stupid.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'd think none of you played in cata...
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.