Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    But how are they an April fools joke if they preceded said April fools joke by years?
    because they were FIRST an April fool's joke. then they put them wc3.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 02:46 PM ----------

i think the transition from joke to actually being a playable race in wow shows how different the people making the games at blizz are now. One group obviously tried to troll people with the idea of pandaren in the wow universe, and the other thought it would be a good idea to troll people and make pandaren playable in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

blizzard even went so far as to call chen stormstout the boba fett of the warcraft universe in terms of how popular he is

Oh no. Now some wise guy is going to come here and say "Chen has nothing on Boba Fett and WoW can't be compared to Star Wars HURR DURR HERP DERP"

News flash if blizzard makes up new lore which they did and its there game then yes it belongs in wow because its there game and lore it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver View Post
    because they were FIRST an April fool's joke. then they put them wc3.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 02:46 PM ----------

i think the transition from joke to actually being a playable race in wow shows how different the people making the games at blizz are now. One group obviously tried to troll people with the idea of pandaren in the wow universe, and the other thought it would be a good idea to troll people and make pandaren playable in wow.
    pandaren were samwise idea, samwise is still there. chris metzen is still there and hes head of story development.

i wish people would actually take 10 minutes to research something before going "ER MEH GERD APRIL FOOLS" the april fools was an inside jab at samwise who would make little panda men samurai for his daughter and friends and coworkers during development of warcraft three they made an inside joke on the games site saying "these are one of the new races for warcraft 3" everyone thought they were cool so they said "wow we had no plans to actually add these guys but lets go ahead and do it" so chris had samwise and the rest of the art team draw up a bunch of concept art and whatnot for warcraft 3.

they have never been a joke ingame AT ALL lighthearted and occasionally silly? yes but NOT a joke thats like saying tauren are a joke because they started from the cow level in diablo
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I roleplay a lot, and to be honest, seeing Pandaren running around looks really, really weird, they honestly does not fit at all, especially the females. I have no problems with their lore, and the island if it was kept a mystery, but as a playable race, I don't find them fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I roleplay a lot, and to be honest, seeing Pandaren running around looks really, really weird, they honestly does not fit at all, especially the females. I have no problems with their lore, and the island if it was kept a mystery, but as a playable race, I don't find them fitting.
    well for roleplay the only people who should really know what pandaren are is the dwarves and any horde who were at the founding of orgrimar since chen was friends with brann bronzebeard and the thunderbrews and rexxar and helped build orgrimmar. the night elves while being long lived lost contact with the pandaren a long time ago when they started abusing magic.

for most races the pandaren are the same as something like bigfoot something people talk about but most people dont believe actually existed. until now
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I very much agree.

I don't really understand why they went with pandas instead. Pandaren should've been more like Dalaran... Neutral. Hozen for the Horde would be awesome, they completely fit the picture for the Horde. And Jinyu completely fit between the Draenei and Night Elves.

If the pandas in-game hadn't looked as "cute" as they do now, they might even have fit with the Horde as well.
    I brought this up once, but someone replied to me why it would have been a bad idea. Would Blizzard ever add an unknown race as a new playable race? Think about it. We have never seen Jinyu or Hozen until this expansion, so if Blizzard announced MoP and said "Here are some monkey and fish people to play as!" people would have went ballistic.

on pretty much every poll on "what race do you want added" or "whats the next expansion" pandaren and demon hunters have been the most asked i COULD go back and dig through hundreds and hundreds of threads in the last 8 years but i doubt even if i found thousands upon thousands of posts, videos, interviews, ect ect where people ask "when are pandaren coming" you would still think im lying.

point is the reason they were added to warcraft 3 is because people wanted them, the reason there being added to wow is because every year people have wanted them.

blizzard even went so far as to call chen stormstout the boba fett of the warcraft universe in terms of how popular he is
    I thought maybe you already had the info cause actually I'm doing the seach myself.

It's not there as some major requested race beyond all the others mention and I bet demon hunters were actually requested more.

More like the Ronald Mcdonald of warcraft not boba fett.

But the point being while if you like them thats great but if you cannot see where all teh drama is coming from by a great many poeple who dislike pandas then you're simply trying to ignore it.

You don't have to like or accept it but it's there. The Easter egg use of them, the april fools joke on them that could have used any race but that one was picked and then you have the timing of there release with other things more predominate in social media and the list goes on.

It's no wonder people look at warcraft as not the game that got them hooked so long ago. It's not saying the game is terrible but it's not as good as the game that got them hooked and I really don't think pandas are helping.
    Last edited by quras; 2012-10-06 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    I brought this up once, but someone replied to me why it would have been a bad idea. Would Blizzard ever add an unknown race as a new playable race? Think about it. We have never seen Jinyu or Hozen until this expansion, so if Blizzard announced MoP and said "Here are some monkey and fish people to play as!" people would have went ballistic.
    yeah blizzard like to kind of tease races to gauge how much people like them. they started work on a different expansion before mists and from all the demon hunter stuff in cataclysm im willing to bet whatever it was wouldve had demon hunters. same with the worgen back in wrath and the arrakoa were once being contemplated for a race for the alliance

That's just typical blizzard propaganda, chen had practically no personality before this expansion besides being a panda who can do kung fu, you hardly ever saw anyone talk about him before this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    That's just typical blizzard propaganda, chen had practically no personality before this expansion besides being a panda who can do kung fu, you hardly ever saw anyone talk about him before this expansion.
    thats just a bold face lie. chen is THE pinnacle of awesome in warcraft

To all of the people defending Blizzard: I can appreciate your passion. I, too, have been passionate about the games and stories Blizzard has created since Warcraft I. The Pandaren have always fascinated me for the same reasons they likely fascinated you: they were mysterious. They had a different charm than the other races. And, Chen was fun! Now, we have an expansion about them, and I'm having a blast, learning about the lore, the conflicts of this mysterious continent, and the races that inhabit it.

However, you are not going to convince the people who actively hate the Pandaren. I have tried since the great Alliance Race debates of pre-TBC. Some people stick to their story that they were a joke and cannot be serious. I have discovered that this is simply because these people lack imagination. They want their doom and gloom and that is all. Maybe they'll come back when the Burning Legion returns. Or when Azshara and N'Zoth rise from the depths of the Great Sea. Who knows? But, more importantly, who cares? We are not going to change their minds, and considering the vast amount of positive word-of-mouth this expansion has already received, our case has been made. Let them flame, hate, and rage to their hearts are content. The fact of the matter is that the Pandaren and Pandaria are cemented in Warcraft lore now and are here to stay. Let's enjoy it.

To all of the people here who came to attack Blizzard: Why are you here? It seems obvious, to me, that you are hopelessly outnumbered compared to the people rushing to champion the Pandaren and this expansion. Considering the expansion is out and the Pandaren are playable, you voicing your displeasure is meaningless as there is absolutley nothing you can do to change Blizzard's mind at this point. There are plenty of other games out there to play, including the oft-mentioned Guild Wars 2. Why do you seek to shove your pointless, hateful rhetoric down people's throats? Do us all a favor and play and discuss the games you actually enjoy. I would suggest to be constructive in your negative opinions if you are adamant about sticking with WoW, but considering the nature of this discussion, I feel that there is no constructive feedback to be given. So, please, take your maliciousness elsewhere.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I thought maybe you already had the info cause actually I'm doing the seach myself.

It's not there as some major requested race beyond all the others mention and I bet demon hunters were actually requested more.

More like the Ronald Mcdonald of warcraft not boba fett.

But the point being while if you like them thats great but if you cannot see where all teh drama is coming from by a great many poeple who dislike pandas then you're simply trying to ignore it.

You don't have to like or accept it but it's there. The Easter egg use of them, the april fools joke on them that could have used any race but that one was picked and then you have the timing of there release with other things more predominate in social media and the list goes on.

It's no wonder people look at warcraft as not the game that got them hooked so long ago. It's not saying the game is terrible but it's not as good as the game that got them hooked and I really don't think pandas are helping.
    You seem to have an obsession with Ronald McDonald for some reason.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 06:20 PM ----------

Fucking told you so people...

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    To all of the people defending Blizzard: I can appreciate your passion. I, too, have been passionate about the games and stories Blizzard has created since Warcraft I. The Pandaren have always fascinated me for the same reasons they likely fascinated you: they were mysterious. They had a different charm than the other races. And, Chen was fun! Now, we have an expansion about them, and I'm having a blast, learning about the lore, the conflicts of this mysterious continent, and the races that inhabit it.

However, you are not going to convince the people who actively hate the Pandaren. I have tried since the great Alliance Race debates of pre-TBC. Some people stick to their story that they were a joke and cannot be serious. I have discovered that this is simply because these people lack imagination. They want their doom and gloom and that is all. Maybe they'll come back when the Burning Legion returns. Or when Azshara and N'Zoth rise from the depths of the Great Sea. Who knows? But, more importantly, who cares? We are not going to change their minds, and considering the vast amount of positive word-of-mouth this expansion has already received, our case has been made. Let them flame, hate, and rage to their hearts are content. The fact of the matter is that the Pandaren and Pandaria are cemented in Warcraft lore now and are here to stay. Let's enjoy it.

To all of the people here who came to attack Blizzard: Why are you here? It seems obvious, to me, that you are hopelessly outnumbered compared to the people rushing to champion the Pandaren and this expansion. Considering the expansion is out and the Pandaren are playable, you voicing your displeasure is meaningless as there is absolutley nothing you can do to change Blizzard's mind at this point. There are plenty of other games out there to play, including the oft-mentioned Guild Wars 2. Why do you seek to shove your pointless, hateful rhetoric down people's throats? Do us all a favor and play and discuss the games you actually enjoy. I would suggest to be constructive in your negative opinions if you are adamant about sticking with WoW, but considering the nature of this discussion, I feel that there is no constructive feedback to be given. So, please, take your maliciousness elsewhere.
    this guy knows what hes talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    Although, minotaurs are pretty well established fantasy creatures and tauren are just that with an american indian spin, and spacegoats were a mildly lore-breaking extension of Eredar. Pandaren has just been some easter eggs scattered about the place which is what is making people scratch their heads
    The Minotaur is a different thing to Tauren, he was a single being created to be a guardian probably more like a Titan construct than a hybrid race. Tauren are cow-people in the same way Pandaren are panda-people.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    You seem to have an obsession with Ronald McDonald for some reason..
    thats what i dont get either, was ronald some kind of a joke before he became the mascot of mcdonalds? as far as i know the only thing about ronald mcdonald is mcdonalds and that childrens charity

No he doesn't, 90% of the people defending pandaren take any criticism towards pandaren and label it as hate, then write a prophetic wall of text about it even though their premise is wrong, which makes their entire follow-up wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The Minotaur is a different thing to Tauren, he was a single being created to be a guardian probably more like a Titan construct than a hybrid race. Tauren are cow-people in the same way Pandaren are panda-people.
    What? The Minotaur is a creature in Greek mythology. He was inside the labyrinth in Knossos, at the island of Crete. Theseus killed him. Unless there is something I am missing I don't recall a minotaur in WoW.

No he doesn't, 90% of the people defending pandaren take any criticism towards pandaren and label it as hate, then write a prophetic wall of text about it even though their premise is wrong, which makes their entire follow-up wrong.
    it might not be full hate but it is definitely ignorance. people have said many times that pandaren were never considered a joke, that they came before wow, that they have been the most asked for race.

id even go so far as to say the pandaren embody EVERYTHING that is warcraft a noble yet slightly prideful and arrogant race, a bit of a smartass and love to party and fight.

in my opinion pandaren are the perfect combination of everything warcraft has ever been dark at times but with a hint of comedy mixed in

Saying something is wrong with no context is meaningless, just like 97% of statistics!

I have yet to see any constructive, negative criticism in this thread. As a side note, to quote a great man about your use of the word "prophetic", "I do not think that word means what you think it means."
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2012-10-06 at 03:34 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University