Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

When the cashier looks at you funny...

This can range anywhere from:

- a smirk
    - look of disapproval
    - look of "omg you're creepy"

You're buying a birth control product of some form - along with other items, to make it seem like that's not the only thing you're buying. Doesn't matter though. You get that "look". Usually(but not always), it's a female cashier, between 35+ years of age.

IMO, a cashier is supposed to be doing no more than merely processing all your purchases, completing the transaction, and maybe bagging your items. A cashier should NOT be shaming you no matter what it is you're buying.

Personally I just shrug off the "look" and carry on with my day. And maybe save it for a funny bar story with friends. But there are people who find this experience much more offensive, and are tempted to at least do something, eg. let the store manager know, file a complaint, etc.

What would you guys do? Crack a witty remark? Say "problem, lady?"

10+ Year Old Account
    pull out my sawed off shotgun and say "HANDS UP THIS IS A ROBBERY!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? If you don't know them then whats the big deal... Chances are they buy that stuff to...
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Smirk and say "My daughter is gonna love this." before walking away.

In high school, a two friends of mine and myself (one guy, one girl) bought a cucumber, a box of condoms and some lube at WalMart. Got an extremely harsh look from the cashier woman when we checked out holding hands. Did it for shits an giggles. Didn't bother to say anything to her, but we got some really fantastic looks and had a great time before graduation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore it, but then again I wouldn't hide the fact that I'm buying something "embarrassing" anyway, and just buy the thing.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't take it personally. Though im a 19 year old guy so not sure how valid my opinion is here =P. I work as a Cashier at a busy store and unless a customer is being a self righteous douchenozzle I, personally, just tend to forget you were there and what you bought.

Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post

- a smirk
    - look of disapproval

You're buying a birth control product of some form - along with other items, to make it seem like that's not the only thing you're buying. Doesn't matter though. You get that "look". Usually(but not always), it's a female cashier, between 35+ years of age.

IMO, a cashier is supposed to be doing no more than merely processing all your purchases, completing the transaction, and maybe bagging your items. A cashier should NOT be shaming you no matter what it is you're buying.

Personally I just shrug off the "look" and carry on with my day. And maybe save it for a funny bar story with friends. But there are people who find this experience much more offensive, and are tempted to at least do something, eg. let the store manager know, file a complaint, etc.

What do you think she is doing? Hint hint, its in bold.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

It is only shameful if you yourself think it is shameful.

If I buy condoms I don't find it shameful, if they look at me like I should be ashamed, good for them.

I think the best time it has ever happened was when I was dating a girl just out of Highschool when i was 18 and she was 17, and her Best friends mother worked at the Pharmacy where I bought them. Since she knew who I was dating because I had hung out with my GF and her Daughter quite a few times, she gave me the evilest glare ever.

Good times.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

- a smirk
    - look of disapproval

It sounds like you're ashamed regardless of what the cashier thinks. If they're smirking at you, perhaps you shouldn't automatically assume that it's a negative expression.

Personally, I was always proud when I bought birth control products (condoms, in this case) and didn't try to hide it. Why should you? You're going to get laid!

Finally, a cashier is a person and you shouldn't expect them to act like mindless robots just because they're at work. If they see something that offends their sensibilities, they have every right to react. If you don't like it, tell their manager. Be aware, however, that they're probably going to have a better story than "she looked at me funny!" when they talk to their manager.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I worked in a store.. When people buy birth control stuff I dont do much, Just processing the purchase.. Chatting like i usually do.. However I tried to pull off a joke, in my early days.. When some nervous looking fella bought a Pregnancy test, I asked if he wanted a pack of condoms with it... Last time i try to be funny.. Apparently he and his GF had actually tried to get a baby for a while... PWNd....
    "As Dark as a Ravens flight, Cold as Winters night"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    It is only shameful if you yourself think it is shameful.

If I buy condoms I don't find it shameful, if they look at me like I should be ashamed, good for them.

I think the best time it has ever happened was when I was dating a girl just out of Highschool when i was 18 and she was 17, and her Best friends mother worked at the Pharmacy where I bought them. Since she knew who I was dating because I had hung out with my GF and her Daughter quite a few times, she gave me the evilest glare ever.

Good times.
    Now THAT is awkward.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

I was in Walmart buying some necessities (Condoms, Astroglide -lube -, and a bottle of wine) and when it was time to check out I found the youngest looking girl to go through the lane. The poor thing couldn't look me in the eyes. I had a good laugh about it when I got home.

- a smirk
    - look of disapproval

I think it really depends what "other items" you got...were they mayonaise and a plunger?

But why would you expect the cashier to judge you less than you're judging yourself? If you only need birth control, why mask it with other things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    I was in Walmart buying some necessities (Condoms, Astroglide -lube -, and a bottle of wine) and when it was time to check out I found the youngest looking girl to go through the lane. The poor thing couldn't look me in the eyes. I had a good laugh about it when I got home.
    Pretty odd behavior on your part to do that intentionally, especially if said person was underage.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Pretty odd behavior on your part to do that intentionally, especially if said person was underage.
    Well, I was out to buy said items anyways, so why not have a little fun at the expense of others.

Think about it from an observers perspective. You see a grown adult male with condoms, lube and alcohol purposely seeking out the youngest girl they can find to check out said items. That doesn't strike you as off?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I honestly never got the problem with people buying birth control of any kind. It isn't embarrassing. I've worked the register before, and there was this one young guy who came in and really quietly asked for condoms. He had no idea what kind he wanted, just the typical "give me anything and get me out of here" approach. I tossed a couple on the counter and told him to pick one, and the guy working with me on the shift and a few others in line started snickering while the kid was obviously really embarrassed by this point.

I turned to my coworker and said "what?" then looked at the people standing in line and said "you shouldn't be laughing. He's getting laid tonight and we're not." That kid walked out of there like a champ with his head up and a giant grin on his face.

As for cashiers judging you...well, they're cashiers. Let them judge.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    It sounds like you're ashamed regardless of what the cashier thinks. If they're smirking at you, perhaps you shouldn't automatically assume that it's a negative expression.

Personally, I was always proud when I bought birth control products (condoms, in this case) and didn't try to hide it. Why should you? You're going to get laid!

Finally, a cashier is a person and you shouldn't expect them to act like mindless robots just because they're at work. If they see something that offends their sensibilities, they have every right to react. If you don't like it, tell their manager. Be aware, however, that they're probably going to have a better story than "she looked at me funny!" when they talk to their manager.
    back sometime in my 20's, I went to the supermarket and bought only two items - a box of condoms and aftershave cream - and went directly to one of the cashiers, who was a gal I knew from high school.

She did that flirty thing with her eyebrow and said "big date tonight?" and I was like "yeah". That was kinda funny actually.

I've been a cashier myself, and just funneled through all the items, so I've been on that side of the fence, though just temporarily as the store wanted me to quickly get on the sales floor and start selling computers.

but anyways that's just my perspective, if someone loaded up on condoms, lube, the works, the most I'd say is "have a great day, sir" and that's probably about it.

In highschool a friend of mine went to the checkout at walmart with some straws, a razorblade, and a mirror. He told everyone she looked at him real funny said "Be safe and next time to split the purchase through multiple checkouts because 'some people aren't as nice as her'"

Sometimes some judgement from a cashier isn't necessarily a bad thing.