Poll: Are you enjoying the "Endgame"?

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Farming isn't anti-Guild Wars. Required, mandatory grind is anti-Guild Wars.

You really can run the whole game with just rare/yellow items fine. The compulsion and need to upgrade to exotic items or have a vanity set are not forced.

Like in Rift, for example, you DO need to grind/farm to progress. To some degree you even have to grind XP for weeks to have some parity due to the AA system ala EQ/AOC. By design that game has massive brick walls that can only be overcome by meeting X, Y or Z threshold.

That's a required grind. And it's bullshit.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-07 at 04:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Farming isn't anti-Guild Wars. Required, mandatory grind is anti-Guild Wars.

You really can run the whole game with just rare/yellow items fine. The compulsion and need to upgrade to exotic items or have a vanity set are not forced.

Like in Rift, for example, you DO need to grind/farm to progress. To some degree you even have to grind XP for weeks to have some parity due to the AA system ala EQ/AOC. By design that game has massive brick walls that can only be overcome by meeting X, Y or Z threshold.

That's a required grind. And it's bullshit.
    You don't NEED it. But everyone sure as hell wants it. And they know this. People aren't just fine and dandy with the ugly and sup par looking armors, they want the good shit. The cool looking shit. They are making it very unpleasant to get the "best" skins. Even for the guys that love farming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    You don't NEED it. But everyone sure as hell wants it. And they know this. People aren't just fine and dandy with the ugly and sup par looking armors, they want the good shit. The cool looking shit. They are making it very unpleasant to get the "best" skins. Even for the guys that love farming.
    Well personally, i'm just rocking my rare hall of monuments gear (Nobles gear makes you look like a bitch IMO) and am using my Krait weapons... infact if they had a krait armor set that'd be about the only thing i'd want to go for.... Now that i think of it i really want to see if they have a krait armor set...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

"Cool looking shit" is super subjective and super duper optional.

The Guild Wars franchise is more than fine with players having to farm for "cool looking shit".

What Anet are not fine with is players having to grind for "necessary shit".

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 12:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    (Nobles gear makes you look like a bitch IMO)
    I wear the Noble's outfit w/ HOM pieces. >.>

They make it unpleasant because they don't want you using up their server space farming. They want you to go to their cash shop and spend real money. That's the difference between a monthly fee game and a F2P with a cash shop. I'll take a monthly fee game any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    They make it unpleasant because they don't want you using up their server space farming. They want you to go to their cash shop and spend real money. That's the difference between a monthly fee game and a F2P with a cash shop. I'll take a monthly fee game any day.
    You can pretty much only purchase town clothes in the the cash shop last I checked. But you seem more interested in hating on cash shops (guess what, subscription games have them too! Like, all of them do) than on dealing with actual facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    well, theres an achievement icon on character screen that really pokes you when you log in, it is one of main objectives of this game I presume, to obrain damnable legendary weapon. then, it really requires you to grind and grind as there is no progressive end game, your end game is simply a new, better looking gear
    Still optional just like completing 100% world or joining all 3 Orders. None of them are progression dependent or tied to one's ability to play the full breathe of content.

also theres a huge gap between rare and exotic items at lvl 80.
    Not really. And the difference is of no real impact to ability to play or complete all the content.

I wear mostly yellows on Warrior and Guardian and do all the PVE content with the same ease as my Ranger with exotics. It's just not a big deal. Exotics are more powerful but not in any way that is necessary to defeat content.

females armours mostly look like outfits for prostitutes
    Slightly offensive. Considering most armor for females are pretty modest in the game. It's hardly Tera here.

Always refreshing to see this type of sexism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    This. When I tell people I'd rather pay a subscription than have a cash shop like the one in Guild Wars 2 I get called stupid, insane etc. The truth is I'd rather pay 13 euro a month because I know I won't have to deal with this kind of stuff in the game. True, WoW and Rift have cosmetics and services that cost real money, but they don't remove systems from the game and sell them in the store (as is the case with minis). And no, being able to trade gold for gems doesn't alleviate these issues. Gold is hard to come by, it's even worse if you have to trade it for gems. I don't want to spend 12 hours a day doing a grind that is worse than in WoW or Rift. That's not the game the manifesto promised.

That said, I'm a little short on money right now, but as soon as I get my first university scholarship (and I mean scholarship as in a reward for high admission grades, not social aid), I'll certainly resubscribe to Rift and buy its expansion. Sure, it might not be Guild Wars, whose setting and story I loved, but at least I won't have to deal with this crap

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    You can pretty much only purchase town clothes in the the cash shop last I checked. But you seem more interested in hating on cash shops (guess what, subscription games have them too! Like, all of them do) than on dealing with actual facts.
    Well, I guess the shop is not working properly for you then. The rest of us are also seeing some Black Lion Keys (which are a disgrace to see in a game with a box price -they are cheap F2P bullshit), fine transmutation stones (which barely even drop in-game), boosters (in case you're tired of the huge grinds) and the ability to trade gems for gold (in case you feel you simply can't earn gold - which you'll actually feel quite often).

Quote Originally Posted by Draugadan View Post
    Well, I guess the shop is not working properly for you then. The rest of us are also seeing some Black Lion Keys (which are a disgrace to see in a game with a box price -they are cheap F2P bullshit), fine transmutation stones (which barely even drop in-game), boosters (in case you're tired of the huge grinds) and the ability to trade gems for gold (in case you feel you simply can't earn gold - which you'll actually feel quite often).
    And the Black Lion Chests drop primarily 3 non-combat tranform tonics and a boost of some sort, with sometimes another key. I haven't gotten anything useful out of the dozen or so I've opened. And I've paid nothing for the keys, got them from getting 100% in zones.

Fine Transmutation Stones which if I remember correctly, you can get in-game as well.

Boosters: Purely optional, you pay for convenience, as it should be.

Gems -> gold: Again, purely optional and a tradeoff of money for time investment. Gold can't even buy most of the really cool looking gear.

So they're not selling gear through the cash shop, or even awesome looking cosmetic combat gear. I fail to see how there is some huge issue that subscription games don't have. To get the best gear in a game like Rift or WoW or SWTOR you generally need to invest a pretty significant amount of time as well. Time investments won't be equal across all games and "cool looking" is subjective, but I haven't seen too much of a massive difference in the required time investment between the games.

And no, being able to trade gold for gems doesn't alleviate these issues.
    It does. There is no real difference in farming up the hundreds of plat to expand bank tabs and bank slots in Rift versus farming up hundreds of gold in GW2 to open up bank slots. Or farming up plat/gold for a mount and farming gold for a miniature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    if you call those things optional, then for pve player this game ends after reaching lvl 80 and completing story modes/explo, nothing more to do as its optional.
    It sorta does. At a certain point you are just playing for the sake of playing. As with the previous Guild Wars games; the PVE parts are somewhat finite.

well warriors and guardians are monsters in pve, especially warrior with his uber damage. and again defeating a content is rather a short way
    It makes no difference. It's all the same on my Mesmer, Necromancer and Elementalist as well.

Gear is not a serious limiter at level 80.

no offensive at all, based on facts, those armours are all about erection. they are modest in sense that you look like a prostitute from some rich bordello instead of teras, take me from behind in this silly big-bog barn
    No, this is offensive.

Deleted
    And the Black Lion Chests drop primarily 3 non-combat tranform tonics and a boost of some sort, with sometimes another key. I haven't gotten anything useful out of the dozen or so I've opened. And I've paid nothing for the keys, got them from getting 100% in zones.
    Just because they drop crap doesn't mean they're not F2P specific bullshit. Besides, they've added a drop chance for permanent "convenience" items, like the Black Lion Trader, Portable Mystic Forge and so forth, in order to make people buy keys. That's something I'd expect in a F2P, not a game that cost 50 euro to begin with.

Fine Transmutation Stones which if I remember correctly, you can get in-game as well.
    At a shitty rate, as I already said. I got 20 in over 350 hours played and those hours were mostly spent leveling alts, which is the best way to get them, because there's a chance to get them for map completion.

Boosters: Purely optional, you pay for convenience, as it should be.
    Not when there are huge grinds in the game which they promised there wouldn't be.

"We just don't want players to grind in Guild Wars 2." Ring a bell?

Gems -> gold: Again, purely optional and a tradeoff of money for time investment. Gold can't even buy most of the really cool looking gear.
    I never mentioned gear. I don't care if someone can get the best looking gear by spending thousands of dollars on gems. However, when gold is required to play most of the game, while being hard to obtain, I have every right to assume they meant for everyone, not only those who didn't have time to play, to buy gems and trade them for gold. This would never have happened in a subscription game, because those games need to give you a feeling of reward in order to keep you paying. In Guild Wars 2, they have to give you the feeling that you simply can't earn gold in-game and it would be better if you bought it with real money. Sure, people will leave over that, but since it doesn't have a subscription it doesn't matter.

Female armor makes them look like prostitutes? lol

Female medium armor makes them look like lumberjacks preparing for a heavy rainfall at best!

Deleted
    At a shitty rate, as I already said. I got 20 in over 350 hours played and those hours were mostly spent leveling alts, which is the best way to get them, because there's a chance to get them for map completion.
    I've gotten about fifty of them in maybe 150 hours of play time tops.

Deleted
    It does. There is no real difference in farming up the hundreds of plat to expand bank tabs and bank slots in Rift versus farming up hundreds of gold in GW2 to open up bank slots. Or farming up plat/gold for a mount and farming gold for a miniature.
    There is a difference: those games don't have the same amount of gold sinks and gold is easier to come by there than in Guild Wars 2. Besides there's only one decent way of making gold here as opposed to WoW or even Rift: farming Cursed Shore. In WoW, I would get gold out of anything. I could go do some TBC dungeons or even raids (because I was playing a DK) and I would get hundreds of gold. In Guild Wars 2, I get the feeling that the time spent farming even in the most efficient way isn't worth it. That was something I never felt in WoW, even if I was doing dungeons that were 2 expansions behind.

My problem with WoW is that it started to feel boring, because I had completed a lot of PvE achievements, had gotten 100 mounts and so forth. I was expecting Guild Wars 2 to be a breath of fresh air, with no mind-numbing farming and grinding like in WoW. In truth, it was exactly the opposite. I can't just play the game because of what it promised to be; if the grinds are worse than in WoW or Rift, it's simply not worth it.

I disagree, a system like this while fair, essentially puts dollars signs over absolutely everything in the game. From the time you spend farming whatever to the bis gear for your build, everything has a dollar sign on it.

I can personally live with it, but it certainly takes away from the quality of the game in the long run. There are many reasons games like LoL and WoW become more and more popular in the long run, one of them being that dollars don't get you anywhere in those games.

The gold=dollars=time aspect of GW2 doesn't ruin the game for me, but it certainly affects it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I disagree, a system like this while fair, essentially puts dollars signs over absolutely everything in the game. From the time you spend farming whatever to the bis gear for your build, everything has a dollar sign on it.
    Don't see how that is different from other MMOs around.

I recall back in TBC [last time I seriously played WoW] how daunting it was to farm up gold for mounts//pets/flying lessons. I wasn't particularly rich back then in-game and had to grind out a ton money to get those mounts/pets/bags that were hot at the time.

It's all the same really. Even now in Rift or Tera, it's a ton of cash to do anything.

Don't see how that is different from other MMOs around.

I recall back in TBC [last time I seriously played WoW] how daunting it was to farm up gold for mounts//pets/flying lessons. I wasn't particularly rich back then in-game and had to grind out a ton money to get those mounts/pets/bags that were hot at the time.

It's all the same really. Even now in Rift or Tera, it's a ton of cash to do anything.
    You farmed that gold ingame though, you didn't whip out a credit card to get your epic mount. And when you did farm that gold, you didn't feel like you could just have whipped out that credit card to save you weeks of grinding. If you wanted it you had to find that gold somewhere in the game, no shortcuts. That is what I mean with dollar sign.

Look obviously it does not bother you at all, I can live with it too, but neither of us pay Anet's bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    You farmed that gold ingame though, you didn't whip out a credit card to get your epic mount. And when you did farm that gold, you didn't feel like you could just have whipped out that credit card to save you weeks of grinding. If you wanted it you had to find that gold somewhere in the game, no shortcuts. That is what I mean with dollar sign.
    Isn't that the way of it now though w/r/t pulling out your CC? I can do that in WoW, Tera or Rift and have a mount/mini pet at level 1.

What I was talking about had more to do with the amount of time it takes to get money in those games for items. If I had to farm up 100 gold in WoW, Rift, TOR, Tera to buy an extra bank slot from an NPC it's not any different from farming that gold to buy gems from the trading house in GW2.

In the end it just takes time to get gold to get item(s) & upgrades. Does it matter if I am paying 100g to Paris Pilton in Shattrah [sp? whatever] or the Black Lion NPC?

Apologies if it seems I am addressing your post specifically. I am mostly using it as a talking point now. Because I don't see why other games can essentially have cash shops alongside a sub fee + the usual MMO gold/time sinks. Yet the scumbag line is drawn at exchanging game gold for a mini pet via cash shop.

An odd & hypocritical position among many gamers. See: The Old Republic forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that the way of it now though w/r/t pulling out your CC? I can do that in WoW, Tera or Rift and have a mount/mini pet at level 1.

What I was talking about had more to do with the amount of time it takes to get money in those games for items. If I had to farm up 100 gold in WoW, Rift, TOR, Tera to buy an extra bank slot from an NPC it's not any different from farming that gold to buy gems from the trading house in GW2.

In the end it just takes time to get gold to get item(s) & upgrades. Does it matter if I am paying 100g to Paris Pilton in Shattrah [sp? whatever] or the Black Lion NPC?

Apologies if it seems I am addressing your post specifically. I am mostly using it as a talking point now. Because I don't see why other games can essentially have cash shops alongside a sub fee + the usual MMO gold/time sinks. Yet the scumbag line is drawn at exchanging game gold for a mini pet via cash shop.

An odd & hypocritical position among many gamers. See: The Old Republic forums.
    There's a significant difference.
    Remember, someone has to buy the gems.
    Then someone has to sell the gems.
    If no one buys gems, then no one will be able to get the gems via gold. Thus no one will be getting any bank / bag slot / character expansions.
    The listed example (except Rift I don't remember much about it), are bought through in game gold, period. There is no real money transaction anywhere in the process.

Wow's just cosmetics.
    Tera's is cosmetics.
    I don't know about TOR since I quit as to what they did with cash shop.
    Rift, as far as I know, is also cosmetics.
    GW2 has things that affect the way of your in game life, so to speak.

Don't point to other games as an example. Every single game player base has it's fair share of em.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-10-07 at 07:41 PM.