Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The biggest thing that has bothered me about this thread is how people keep saying that the Chinese play from internet cafes, as if they're not allowed to have their own computers. There is nothing stopping them from playing from their own computers at home, which I fear this notion has been missed by many. Yes, some of them do play from internet cafes, but that's not because of a crazy Chinese law, that's just because some/most don't have their own computers, which is true in other countries as well.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Interesting discussion on sales and sub numbers on TWIMMO this week.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game...ngered-pandas/
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually they are considered they are braking rules (at least in Wrath days), since Wrath was banned from China
    Kinda like how now Iranian people can't play WoW, and if they do they may get a huge pile of legal problems
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    omg blizz why report for a week when u have always reported 24h before?
    it din't go as good as u wanted did not enough kidz jump on the panda bandwagon?
    wow is dying jump ship wow nerds the ship is sinking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTjc View Post
    Even if WoW dropped to 3 million subs it wouldn't be dead because that is more subs than any other mmo has.
    I think you don't understand what exactly dropping from 12.000.000 to 3.000.000 means, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by MmoFanatic View Post
    omg blizz why report for a week when u have always reported 24h before?
    it din't go as good as u wanted did not enough kidz jump on the panda bandwagon?
    wow is dying jump ship wow nerds the ship is sinking!!!
    Quit lying. Blizzard has never posted sales info 24 hours after an expansion release. I'm sorry you are butthurt that Mop didn't kill the game.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 05:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quit lying. Blizzard has never posted sales info 24 hours after an expansion release. I'm sorry you are butthurt that Mop didn't kill the game.
    It means less profit. Ok? An mmo doesn't need 12 million players to be profitable. In fact this game has lost 6 times the subscribers that most mmos ever had at their peak.

It means less profit. Ok? An mmo doesn't need 12 million players to be profitable. In fact this game has lost 6 times the subscribers that most mmos ever had at their peak.
    Hmmm, do you really think things will go on as ussual when wow comes down from 12 mill to 3 mill?
    Do you really think it means less profit only?

I mean come on...... that wow will still be profitable, yes I get that. That wow would probably be still the biggest mmo out there, I get that.....
    But coming down from 12 mill to 3 mill? Nothing else will happen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quit lying. Blizzard has never posted sales info 24 hours after an expansion release. I'm sorry you are butthurt that Mop didn't kill the game.[COLOR="red"]
    actually, this is the first time they make a weekly sale announcement
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Just so you know, this is the breakdown of activision-blizzard non-gaap revenue for Q2 2012

Source: http://investor.activision.com/results.cfm

So Asian earning is about 10% of total A-B earning. It does not matter whether there is 7 millions sub in asia, the money is in europe and america, only those sub really matters. The others are only eye powder for fanboy.
    The Blizzard/Activision company results broken down geographically for six month ending in the second quarter of 2012 is:

Net Revenue
    US $1163 million
    Europe $888 million
    Asia $296 million
    Total $2247 million

These numbers are for all of Activision Blizzard and not just online subscription revenue. The total digital online channels revenue world wide, which includes WOW and Call of Duty and other things, is $656 and the balance of $1591 million is retail sales. So, while these are interesting number it's pretty much impossible to figure out how much revenue geographically is attributable to which revenue stream. Is Asia revenue primarily digital online revenue or do they buy a lot of retail merchandise? No idea and it's impossible to tell from the Activision/Blizzard financial statements.

Two things are interesting. One: Activision/Blizzard makes a h*ll of a lot of money which is why so many other companies try to emulate them. Second: The online digital revenue went down a lot from the prior year. The six months ending 6/30/2011 was $851 million, 6/30/2012 was $656 million.
    Last edited by Stellan; 2012-10-09 at 02:42 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    I see the site but I don't see the chart. Link the chart please.
    The chart is there, so I think you've got something blocking your images.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see the site but I don't see the chart. Link the chart please.
    click on Second Quarter 2012

choose the list line titled "Investor Summary Sheet ", that should download a PDF files. You need a PDF reader installed, like adobe acrobat reader, for exemple.

Here is the direct link: http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...ry%20Sheet.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    The chart is there, so I think you've got something blocking your images.
    OK I found it. It is not telling you what you think it is. See my post above.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    click on Second Quarter 2012

choose the list line titled "Investor Summary Sheet ", that should download a PDF files. You need a PDF reader installed, like adobe acrobat reader, for exemple.

Here is the direct link: http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...ry%20Sheet.pdf
    Yeah that's all of Activision combined so you every game published included in that list. That document is the investor friendly version.

Here's the technical version. http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...l%20Tables.pdf

While it breaks down the difference in business units on 7/8/9 it doesn't specify regional subscription earnings.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i realize that though, that does mean that revenues part for activision blizzard in asia pacific is small compare to europe and america. We don't know the exact breakdown for each game, but you cannot assume that no modern warfare, diablo 3 or starcraft 2 are sold in asia pacific, i would imagine those game made a killing, exactly like in europe and america.

for exemple modern warfare 3 still sell at full price on amazon china
    http://www.amazon.cn/Call-of-Duty-Mo...9793271&sr=8-2

What we do know for sure is WoW subscription in asian and pacific region have always been about 60% of the total sub, West sub being about 40%. I use mmodata.net for the basis of the statement, i don't see the situation changing over night, so i will make the assumption that out of the 10 millions sub blizzard release info
    - 4 millions are western region (europe, america)
    - 6 millions for the eastern region

How much an impact these 6 millions sub from asia and pacific have financially speaking, we don't know, what we do know is that this region have traditionnaly have had a small financial impact on activision blizzard in general, even considering best seller games like call of duty, starcraft 2, diablo 3.

I would make the guess the reason why blizzard even bother with asian market, is that WoW is already huge in the world. Even without asia, wow would be around 4 millions full paying sub. That is far more than any other MMO (last i heard, the second would be SWToR with about 700-800k sub). Is it worth it for example for bioware, to create a SWToR china (that does means voice over and all) for a probably small percentage of revenue. Probably not, that is why we don't hear huge subs number from them.

I do think WoW is the number 1 MMO in terme of subs as well as in term of income. However, numbers are bogus, i have seen so many people really believeing blizzard earning $15 * 10 M per month from sub alone, this is not true. subs in asia for example are 7 cent an hour. most player would spend $2-$4 a month under this rate. That is probably why WoW revenue are probably about 10-20% though having the most sub.

15+ Year Old Account
    OK I found it. It is not telling you what you think it is. See my post above.
    Sorry, I made "site" into "link" when I read your reply. Thought you didn't see any image in the post you quoted.

Deleted

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 05:12 AM ----------

Did you just quote yourself? lol.

Anyway:
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=2847815 - wotlk day 1 sales
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=2847886 - cata day 1 sales

while not official:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/burning...-hours-6164555 - BC day 1 sales
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2012-10-09 at 03:12 PM.

/yawn

This thread is hilarious.

Infracted. Post constructively, please
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-10-09 at 03:33 PM.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

i really think blizz likes throwing around the 10 or 12 million sub numbers because MMO players really dont read deeper than that. Most WoW players see 10 mil subs for WoW and 900k subs for swtor and think swtor is a failure as a game. When swtor is making a lil less than a 1/4 of the revenue WoW makes from the NA/EU sub market. As ppl have said 60% of the WoW subs are barely noticeable in terms of revenue.

Blizz is really just playing mind games with Sub MMO players. If your playing a game based on Sub numbers then blizz has you in their pocket. They can lose money in asia but gain money from new NA/EU subs just because players are playing WoW just because it has way more subs than any other game.

New games come out with 1 mil or 2 mil subs and blizz is like " we got 12 mil subs" People see that and say "well this game sucks" just because it has way less subs and wont even buy it.

The reason Bioware said their game is still profitable at 500k subs is because NA/EU is paying for it. If they had blizz sub system for asia and launched their with 500k subs they would go bankrupt. Blizz sub numbers are used to keep other games down. No one is going to reach 10 mil subs at 15$ a month world wide. You have to have a deal with a company in asia (GW2 just got one in china btw) and they handle the game their. You wont make alot of money their but the total subs goes wayy up, and they dont even have to pay for a whole month, they pay by the hour and get counted as a monthly sub. So nice blizz.