Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dungeon Noob - Should I pack a sandwich for this trip?

I've been playing GW2 and loving it. I had planned on playing with a group of people, but that group has gotten smaller and smaller (especially with the release of MoP). Typically I don't like joining guilds unless I know more about the people in them. That's the long story of saying that I'm going to have to join random groups if I want to see any Dungeons.

I've gone 54 levels without setting foot in a dungeon, and the reason is kinda stupid. I don't want to look like a blundering idiot in those places and potentially screw up everyone's experiences. But I really want to check these places out. What should I know before going in?

I do know that there is a difference between Story and Exploration mode, and that Exploration is harder and has better rewards. But I'm not sure of other things like what I need to bring into the dungeons, what sort of weapon loadouts are optimal, and what would be most benefitial to a group setting vs. the solo experience I usually have.

Anyways advice for a total dungeon noob would be appreciated. I think I have 3 dungeons open up to me now, and I know nothing about them except their location.

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    You can switch your skills and major traits out to better fit the situation

Don't ever lock your build. Be willing to slot in different skills and majors
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    Story modes shouldn't be too much trouble pugging. Most people are quite nice. If you are new, mainly consider your own survival and you should be fine.

Personally, I do not pug Explorable. I myself am not that good, and if you add me up with a bunch of other newbies... Well, we aint going far.
    What I would recommend for you is finding a nice guild and join them in their exploration of Tyria. Makes it all much more fun.

Deleted
    Quick guide for your first dungeons crawls.

1. Most Dungeons are actually quite easy, tactically. You'll still get downed a lot however due to some wonky mechanics and bosses haveing huge HP pools. But don't get put off by that.

2. Don't go in with a pure glass-cannon spec. You should have at least some Toughness and Vitality on your Gear and/or Traits.

3. Adapt your spec and skills before starting. Pick up stuff that enhances your survivability and supports your group rather than damage boosters. The same applies to skills. Pick skills that use combo-fields so other team-mates can boost their own abilities using these fields.

4. Pack a ranged weapon. Ranged DPS is SOOOO much easier and often the only choice in certain fights. Don't go in without one.

5. Be flexible. You can exchange skills any time you're out of combat. Make use of it.

6. General rule of thumb: Kill ranged mobs before killing melees (which generally can be kited quite effectively).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    often the only choice in certain fights.
    i can verify this is false
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Go in without a 'survive' and mentality instead of a 'kill everything fast' mentality and you'll do fine. I've been pugging expo modes, and they go fairly well, especially if one person has done it before and can direct the group, so to speak. It really varies, as some are harder than others or longer, but it's just adapting. I'd say don't bring a sandwich as you need both your hands most of the dungeon...unless you learned to eat other ways?

I've realized that, in GW2, unlike other games, I pay more attention and can't really watch TV as much. Always gotta dodge dem attacks or get into a good position.

I always run with a melee and ranged option. Some bosses have nearly insta-kill moves if you're in melee, but that's not a reason to not use it; it's usually at a certain time, so if you're not a target or their move isn't going, you can easily melee things and switch back if you're paying enough attention. AAaaaaannnnd greatsword leap away! Yeah, I'm a Guardian, so what, wanna fight about it?

There are very few tactics or strategists in the dungeons.

- Kite everything.
    - Dodge out of AE as best as possible.
    - Range weapons are safer.
    - If you do melee assume every mob cleaves.
    - Kill ranged mobs first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are very few tactics or strategists in the dungeons.

- Kite everything.
    - Dodge out of AE as best as possible.
    - Range weapons are safer.
    - If you do melee assume every mob cleaves.
    - Kill ranged mobs first.
    So basic strategy is this:
    - Don't get hit.
    - Don't get hit.
    - Don't get hit.
    - Don't get hit.
    - Prioritize Targets.

Good thing they implemented little things like dodging, blocking, and parrying!! Use them.

@Artorias

That would be the gist of it, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    In group Dynamic Events I've basically been throwing up conditions, staying out of red circles, and running around rezzing people. So basically more of that.

"Bosses" don't have some sort of enrage timers do they?

Don't worry about looking like a chicken with your head cut off.

Just about everyone else you pug with in story mode has a similar pose.

Deleted
    In addition to what everyone has already said... I'd say don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand or don't know what's going on as well, chances are someone knows and is willing to help out... i've met some abusive/angry people in PvP but not in any dungeons so far, so far everyone has been pretty nice, I don't think anyone's going to think bad of you if you just say I've not done this before, any tips for this fight? Just be friendly and hopefully you'll make some new friends, when I do a full pug I always tell people to add me to friends and whisper me if they're looking for another in the future.

Don't be afraid to do dungeons, at the end of the day even if you make a mistake, so what, everyone makes mistakes, I doubt people are going to think you're an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    So basic strategy is this:
    - Don't get hit.
    - Don't get hit.
    - Don't get hit.
    - Don't get hit.
    - Prioritize Targets.

Good thing they implemented little things like dodging, blocking, and parrying!! Use them.
    Not getting hit > getting hit, more threatening enemies or enemies that die easier are killed first. You know, like.. almost every other game in existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    About how long does it take to complete dungeons in storymode and explorable mode?

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    About how long does it take to complete dungeons in storymode and explorable mode?
    About 40mins to an hour w/ some teamwork.

We one-shot everything in CoE the first time we ever went into the dungeon in around an hour or so. Fighting the camera and overblown spell effects are the toughest bits of the dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I wish I could disagree with that. They really need to make the dungeons a little more wide open, or let us shift the camera so that it's not looking straight into our rear ends if we get anywhere near a wall.
    CM is the probably the dungeon I hate the most. It's all small corridors, debris filled rooms and low hanging ceilings. So awful.

Compounding this displeasure is the design decision to have swarms of mobs who can knockback players into more of the room's debris/alcoves. Sending your camera into jitter mode.

Can't believe there is no occlusion or at least a much further camera distance. Much, much further.

I really do feel the design of encounters in GW2 is among the worst I have ever seen in a current MMO. It's right up there with Forsaken World. Not good at all, imo.

If you have an ability that can revive downed players (i.e. Mesmers have a 15 second "fake" revive for downed players, elementalists have an ability that can rez downed players to full health, rangers can send their pet to rez downed players) be sure to pack it and use it when it is possible. . One of the things that new players in dungeons don't often do is revive downed players (sometimes it is hard to notice that someone is downed in the heat of combat). That revive can make the difference between a wipe and a successful kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I finally bit the bullet and did a dungeon last night. It was horrible and I found myself wanting to excuse myself to just log off...but I wanted to finish the damn thing. It was Ascalond Catacombs - Story Mode, which I thought would be really easy. My problems were 2-fold:

1) The Group - Pugging was probably not the smartest of moves. I've had good success in previous MMO's, and maybe I just got the short straw last night, but 3/5 of the group members were complete boneheads. Only 1 person other than myself bothered managing the downed states of the party, and even then the majority of the group dropped with 1 hit. Obviously there are no meters, but I'm willing to bet 2 members were not pulling their weight in the damage department. Overall it was basically a clustercluck where I (Ranger) had to tank and/or kite the mobs while also trying to rez partymates, and ended up dieing so much my gear completely broke twice. Several bosses just turned into GY zergs which I heard of previously, and now after experiencing them hate the concept.

2) Dungeon Design: To be blunt...taking away the group shortcomings, the dungeon was obscenely bland. I saw potential for cool moments with the events popping up, like a Troll bursting through the wall. Outside of that moment, and using a boulder on a pressure plate, I found nothing interesting in this dungeon (and this is coming from someone who has been generally pleased with other aspects of the game). I really didn't even notice any interesting mechanics other than the classic "don't stand in the red circle" and "keep these 2 bosses seperated". And actually, I found the "trash" to be a lot more difficult than the "bosses", but that could also have been due to the group handling of the mobs.

So I don't have any plans to rush back out and have another dungeon experience...Wait, that sounded weird. >_<