Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Is it? I like to think there's a pretty big difference between unintentionally killing non-combatants and trying to assassinate a 14 year old girl.
    There is none, if you're playing devil's advocate, like most indoctrinated teens today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    The Constitution specifically states that the state of the United States does not have a religion. Not having one means lacking one.
    Then it is irreligious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it more accurate to say that the government of the United States is non-preferential about religion? Characterizing the US government as atheist implies active disbelief ala the Soviet Union whereas the US government is simply not involved in religion.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. What a brave girl. Only 14 and is defying everything most people in her society believe in. The extremist there think that women are worthless and are only good for kids but she is showing them up. Hope she makes a full recovery!
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Then it is irreligious.
    Again, how is irreligious mutually exclusive to atheist?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

I wish USSR didn't go in and mess up Afghanistan in the first place, or maybe there would be a better outcome if USA didn't feel like arming Taliban would be a good idea.

In the 1950s and '60s, women were able to pursue professional careers in fields such as medicine. Today, schools that educate women are a target for violence, even more so than five or six years ago.
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article..._afghanistan#2

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, Afghanistan was already in a pretty bad place before the Russians went in. The economic bottom kind of fell out during the late 60s and everything just sort of started to fall apart.

The US and the Soviets just made everything worse.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-10-09 at 08:37 PM.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Why can't they just get back to making rugs?!

The Constitution specifically states that the state of the United States does not have a religion. Not having one means lacking one.
    Reagan and Billy Graham rewrote the constitution didn't you hear? If you are not a religious nut, then you are no longer considered a Republican. I mean holy shit the guy in charge of the congressional science committe is on tape saying he thinks the earth is only 9,000 years old and evolution is bull crap.

America is one or two steps away from our own form of bat shit crazy. Let Republicans get away with adding Amendments like "Marriage is between a man and a woman" and see how fast it goes downhill from there.

Afghanstan, Pakistan, Iran and Lybia are PRIME examples of why you never let religion run governments. I mean holy hell the popes butler got 18 months in prison because he leaked documents that proved the Vatican knew about child molesters.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Ahhh, the religion of peace.
    Indeed rofl.

Again, how is irreligious mutually exclusive to atheist?
    Saying something is atheist doesnt mean it doesnt have a religion. Buddhism is atheist but its still a religion. The US is without religion which only irreligious covers correctly.

Saying something is atheist doesnt mean it doesnt have a religion. Buddhism is atheist but its still a religion. The US is without religion which only irreligious covers correctly.
    Adding further to that, the christian god is also an atheist.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Relatively speaking there aren't many Muslim zealots killing people for stupid reasons either...

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 08:38 PM ----------

Muslims are the people who practice Islam same as Christians are the people who practice Christianity.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 08:39 PM ----------

So, what? Neither Islam nor Muslims approve of such acts.
    Islam does approve, many muslims don't. You need a bit of research done to understand the basics of this conversation.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 10:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Which is what I said?
    No, you said they are the same thing, as if all muslims believed in everything that Islam says.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Ahhh, the religion of peace.
    Ku klux klan totally agrees with that. Peaceful bunch.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 01:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Islam does approve, many muslims don't. You need a bit of research done to understand the basics of this conversation.[COLOR="red"]
    How's that different from christianity approving all sorts of things (men ruling over women being one thing) yet not many christians approves that?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Islam does approve, many muslims don't. You need a bit of research done to understand the basics of this conversation.
    Give me a reliable source where Islam "says" that terrorism is okay? I dare you go on.

EDIT: actually if we go strictly by what Quran "says" then apparently the punishment of terrorism would be capital punishment.
    Last edited by N-7; 2012-10-09 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying something is atheist means it lacks belief in a god or gods - an institution that explicitly states that religious belief isn't part of it by definition lacks belief in god or gods.

I feel you're being deliberately silly. It is atheist AND irreligious because atheism is part of irreligion.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Saying something is atheist means it lacks belief in a god or gods - an institution that explicitly states that religious belief isn't part of it by definition lacks belief in god or gods.

I feel you're being deliberately silly. It is atheist AND irreligious because atheism is part of irreligion.
    "Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists."

Atheism thus is opposition of it due to how language works.

As far as I know buddhism is not related to a worship of a deity in any form and thus can be excluded from the definiton.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Give me a reliable source where Islam "says" that terrorism is okay? I dare you go on.

EDIT: actually if we go strictly by what Quran "says" then apparently the punishment of terrorism would be capital punishment.
    There are plenty of verses to support the claim of violence within islam......im not going to link them because it would almost assuredly get me a ban. They are there and can be found in less than 5 min of reasearch.

I spent over 3 years of my life living in the middle east, surrounded by islamic culture.

While the religion itself isn't paticularly violent, there is no established "command" structure to reign in the more extremist sects, nor is there world wide outrage from islamic societies when violent, and oppresive terrorist actions are taken by people in the name of islam.

You get a C grade youtube film depicting Muhammed as a pedophile.....world wide islamic outrage.

You have the Taliban stoning women to death for being a rape victim in the name of islam....not a peep.

The answer to me is simple, to let them live the way they want in THEIR countries. If Supertony was emperor of the western world I wouldn't allow immigration from islamic countries for any reason. Commerce is fine, but our ways of life are just not compatible to live toghter peacefully over a long period of time.

Like a very famous poet once said "Good fences make good neighboors" Seems like a good idea to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    There are plenty of verses to support the claim of violence within islam......im not going to link them because it would almost assuredly get me a ban. They are there and can be found in less than 5 min of reasearch.

I spent over 3 years of my life living in the middle east, surrounded by islamic culture.

While the religion itself isn't paticularly violent, there is no established "command" structure to reign in the more extremist sects, nor is there world wide outrage from islamic societies when violent, and oppresive terrorist actions are taken by people in the name of islam.

You get a C grade youtube film depicting Muhammed as a pedophile.....world wide islamic outrage.

You have the Taliban stoning women to death for being a rape victim in the name of islam....not a peep.

The answer to me is simple, to let them live the way they want in THEIR countries. If Supertony was emperor of the western world I wouldn't allow immigration from islamic countries for any reason. Commerce is fine, but our ways of life are just not compatible to live toghter peacefully over a long period of time.

Like a very famous poet once said "Good fences make good neighboors" Seems like a good idea to me.
    Go ahead link these verses. I bet most of them either speak of afterlife or a war of defense. Also. since you seem so knowledgeable about Islamic culture, you should have known that anyone who kill an innocent gets a capital punishment. So, yeah Islam says that terrorism is punishable by death.

Answer these questions: how can someone or something "command" extremists when they're "extremists" out of norm (can you command a crazy man?)? have you ever wondered why Taliban aren't allowed in All Arabian Gulf countries, Egypt, etc...?

Finally, to the bolded part, in the first sentence you're saying that Islam supports violence while in the other you've said that Islam isn't particularly violent. So, which one is it is Islam violent or not? isn't it just extremists that are violent?

Go ahead link these verses. I bet most of them either speak of afterlife or a war of defense. Also. since you seem so knowledgeable about Islamic culture, you should have known that anyone who kill an innocent gets a capital punishment. So, yeah Islam says that terrorism is punishable by death.

Answer these questions: how can someone or something "command" extremists when they're "extremists" out of norm (can you command a crazy man?)? have you ever wondered why Taliban aren't allowed in All Arabian Gulf countries, Egypt, etc...?

Finally, to the bolded part, in the first sentence you're saying that Islam supports violence while in the other you've said that Islam isn't particularly violent. So, which one is it is Islam violent or not? isn't it just extremists that are violent?
    Okay, ill do my best here.

1. I'm not going to link the verses as i don't want to get banned, they're there for anyone that wants to look it up. Doesn't take much reasearch.

2. The "command" structure comment is what i percieve to be the largest reason why so many terrorist actions happen in the name of islam. There is no established central clergy to commend or comdemn the actions taken by extremist elements. Of course it doesn't help that the world wide islamic community seems to be errily silent when atrocities are commited in the name of their religion, but are oddly vocal about a "C" grade video demeaning their prophet or a unfounded rumour about someone somewhere urinating on a quran wehter its true or not.

From my experence in the middle east, the imams and various church/ sect leaders in any paticular area have a GIANT impact on what the people in that area believe. Without going into deep text walling, i can like it to the influence that priests had on people during the dark ages. The populace in some areas in the middle east seem to be much more controlled by religious leaders than in the west.

The taliban and al-queda are not allowed in many gulf states because they know what a bunch of troublemakers they are. Thats why they are not welcome, not nessesarily because they disagree with everything they say or do, but because they don't want their bad habits conflicting with their power.

3. Lastly Culture has a huge part to play. While many of the middle eastern / southwest asian countries have a similar religion, the cultures vary wildly. Iran and Iraq for example