Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should you put your SS# on paper job application?

I'm thinking of applying for job as a night auditor at hotels. Should I put down my SS# on the form?

I've searched Google for answers and some people say:

I would say yes. If you don't your'e app will probably end up in the waste bin. Employers need your'e social to check you out. They first will use it to make sure you are not an illegal. Then they will want it for your w2 forms etc, etc. If you apply online for a job, theres no way you will even get past the first page without putting it down.
    yes. Without it the company cannot do a comprehensive background check. Nor will your application even be looked at.
    While another one says:

No omitting it shouldn't lesson your chance of being hired. I wouldn't put it on the application, just put available upon hire. At my work, we tell applicants that they should never put their SSN on any applications ever, only supply it once you are offered a solid job offer. Many employers currently don't shred your applications like they are supposed to, or they file them away in an unlocked cabinet that anybody who worked there could get into. Don't put your SSN you are right to be nervous, if they don't hire you because of it, a. that shouldn't be a problem, and b. do you really want to work for them?
    I'm confused as to what to do.
    Another thing I was wondering was, should I just put my name, number, and position applying for, to save time? Or should I have to fill out all that out in application which can be time consuming?

You don't necessarily need it. If they need it after hire it can be put on your Form W-4. It's possibly they may want it for background checks though, depends on the job.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

No idea how it works in USA but in Finland you only put social security number on official papers (job application isn't one of them, while contract of job is, where it probably would end up being.). It's in fact recommended you don't put it anywhere loosely because of the possible abuse it could get you into.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    I'm thinking of applying for job as a night auditor at hotels.
    If the aim is to get that job, the SS# is likely to be required prior to employment due to background checks. They need to be sure that you haven't been charged with any from of financial fraud.

Even if you exclude the number, it is likely to be required prior to full consideration.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was raised with the mentality you don't give that stuff out until you have to. The initial round of apps shouldn't require that, as they probably would never do background/credit checks until at least an interview has occured.

I would be hesitant to give it away on every application, considering how important it is to try and not give it to the wrong people/

id say it depends on the job. want to work at the cia, it would be a necessity. at mcdonald's it's just them being nosy imo. until you get the job of course, then they need it. but it also might depend on how good the job is and how bad you need it - no need losing a good opportunity in this market for principal's sake

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    I was raised with the mentality you don't give that stuff out until you have to. The initial round of apps shouldn't require that, as they probably would never do background/credit checks until at least an interview has occured.

I would be hesitant to give it away on every application, considering how important it is to try and not give it to the wrong people/
    I never put it on an application for basic/no training level jobs. I just wrote "Will provide when necessary".

For higher level/career type jobs, you don't even fill out applications, mostly. It's cover letter and resume up front. By the time you fill anything out, you're already a couple steps into getting hired.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I never put it on an application for basic/no training level jobs. I just wrote "Will provide when necessary".

For higher level/career type jobs, you don't even fill out applications, mostly. It's cover letter and resume up front. By the time you fill anything out, you're already a couple steps into getting hired.
    Pretty much this.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Ive written X's except for the last 4 numbers.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is also pretty much accurate. Any position I have ever applied for, I have simply submitted a resume and cover letter. By the time you ever get to the application, it is usually after you already have the job and it is filled out after the fact for paperwork and record retention reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Ive written X's except for the last 4 numbers.
    Not a bad idea either, at the very least a middle ground if you're still worried about not having it. They should still be able to do a background check with it, they'll just have to work a little harder for it. The last 4 numbers can be on a lot of things, so they're not quite as tightly held as the whole shebang.

15+ Year Old Account
    People have been putting SSN's on job applications for over 60 years, If you are worried about your identity and don't trust where you are trying to get a job then why are you putting an application in for the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Not a bad idea either, at the very least a middle ground if you're still worried about not having it. They should still be able to do a background check with it, they'll just have to work a little harder for it. The last 4 numbers can be on a lot of things, so they're not quite as tightly held as the whole shebang.
    Yeah, that is a good middle ground. I've worked at a couple places where I "punched in" on their time clocks using my last four digits.

But... be aware... if they know your birth date (not typically asked for on applications), there's a good chance someone can take the last four and derive the other five.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post

Same here. I don't give they out to anyone.

I noticed yesterday my friend filled out an online application for a job and they even asked for his SSN on there.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    People have been putting SSN's on job applications for over 60 years, If you are worried about your identity and don't trust where you are trying to get a job then why are you putting an application in for the first place?
    I was 17 the first time I had management experience. Job applications at that place went through the hands of whoever happened to be working at the cash register. I personally respected applicants who were paranoid about giving their digits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that is a good middle ground. I've worked at a couple places where I "punched in" on their time clocks using my last four digits.

But... be aware... if they know your birth date (not typically asked for on applications), there's a good chance someone can take the last four and derive the other five.
    Really? Interesting. Always did wonder how they determined the number assignment.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

If you are worried about your identity and don't trust where you are trying to get a job then why are you putting an application in for the first place?
    Because hookers and blow don't buy themselves!

15+ Year Old Account
    That's not really fair. I've worked at many places where applications and resumes are simply left in a pile in the back office where anyone can just walk by, pick them up and read them. I'm not about to go and steal someones identity but I did work with about 100 other people who I cant vouch for. It's sloppy to leave those things lying around though.

Anyways. Don't put a SS or SIN number on a resume. Applications should be okay, just give them to the manager. If you're really concerned you could just write "call please" but that might hurt your chances.

it doesn't really matter if you give your SS# to everyone on earth. those who know how to steal your identity don't even need it

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ive never put it on an app, and family friends in positions that hire(all the way from a hospital hiring doctors to a resteraunt hiring just bussers and waitresses). neither of them says it is important unless you are hired.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga