Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The talent system mistake!

Ok, i love the talent system in MOP, BUT, what will happen in upcoming expansions?

its 15 levels for each talent. its not logical to go through 3 expansions for 1 ability.

And, i doubt it will be 90-105.

Anyone have any ideas, the only logical one would be making the next one only require 5 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmethod View Post
    Ok, i love the talent system in MOP, BUT, what will happen in upcoming expansions?

its 15 levels for each talent. its not logical to go through 3 expansions for 1 ability.

And, i doubt it will be 90-105.

Anyone have any ideas, the only logical one would be making the next one only require 5 levels.
    I would say they would do...

They'll just change it all again next expansion because blizzard jumped the shark long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    They'll just change it all again next expansion because blizzard jumped the shark long ago.
    ^This pretty much.

You call that jumping the shark?
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

If the next expansion brings level 100 , they would most likely just ad a new talent row for level 100 and keep the rest the same.

Official post yesterday said there won't be another expansion so don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    You call that jumping the shark?
    Jumping the shark as in, the expected quality going to utter shit? Yes.

I dunno about jumping the shark, but the devs long ago shattered any promise to the players that what you earned you keep, in ANY meaningful fashion. I remember training deadly throw and being psyched about it, but now it's a stupid talent that I can't even get most of the time.

So yea, they'll change it next expansion, because they feel they own our characters, and don't care what we think about that. They feel so threatened by I don't KNOW what- other games? Chasing perfection? That they'll just redesign everything all to hell at a whim.

Remember when they said stuff like "it doesn't make sense that you would crit so much more on an end tier boss than a begining tier boss"?, and they were gonna add crit suppression to firelands raid bosses (and I dunno what they would do with haste- coat the bosses in goo?). And you'd need progressively more and more hit and expertise, so that you'd never be geared for anything except one stupid raid at a time.

They tossed that idea out, but that's what they THINK man.

So yea, they'll just change it all next expac. I'm shocked there's no more direct way than RAF to skip lowbie content entirely. I'm sure once my eleventh character hits the 80-90 range, they'll offer a free level 80 zip-pack for 35 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Another Conscious...?

Jumping the shark as in, the expected quality going to utter shit? Yes.
    Pray tell how the old copy-paste talent system was excellent in comparison to one where choice matters without gimping you
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

New expansion doesn't mean they absolutely have to introduce new row of talents - I think it was in WOTLK when they just gave you 10 more talent points to play with already existing talents.

Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    New expansion doesn't mean they absolutely have to introduce new row of talents - I think it was in WOTLK when they just gave you 10 more talent points to play with already existing talents.
    That, imo, would never fly again

Yeah I'd like to see you plan out talent trees with 15 or so tiers of 2-4 talents per tier, with a varying number of points to max out individual talents, and balance your specs around the intent of having at least 61-ish points in your main spec talent tree, balance everything out, and then make sure all 30 or so talent options per tree are interesting, meaningful and different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Another Conscious...?

Pray tell how the old copy-paste talent system was excellent in comparison to one where choice matters without gimping you
    Because my viewpoint hinges upon one single aspect of the game? It's also funny how you think the "new way" offers more choice.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-09 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    No, Wrath added another few rows. I think Cataclysm was the one where they weren't going to add any new rows, until they decided to shorten the trees and change how often you got points.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll add a new talent for every 5 levels after MoP. It's not rocket science guys. Just like how Cata gave you a point every 2 lvl until you got to 80 and then you got one every lvl for the last 5.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

I dunno about not being gimped man.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Yeah I'd like to see you plan out talent trees with 15 or so tiers of 2-4 talents per tier, with a varying number of points to max out individual talents, and balance your specs around the intent of having at least 61-ish points in your main spec talent tree, balance everything out, and then make sure all 30 or so talent options per tree are interesting, meaningful and different.
    He has to do it? Maybe if that was his full time job. Hell, maybe if a TEAM of people had that as their full time jobs.

They could have done a LOT with the talent system besides devolving it to this point. We could have seen something closer to D&D's feats. In their lust to make mutually exclusive talents, they made them in places that make no sense. In their obsession for symmetry, they gave some classes too many talents, and others not enough.

No, Wrath added another few rows. I think Cataclysm was the one where they weren't going to add any new rows, until they decided to shorten the trees and change how often you got points.
    Correct. BC added 10 more to each tree. LK added 10 more to each tree. Cata was going to just add more points, but instead they nerfed the trees back to level 60 trees. MoP they burned the whole thing down.

Still no tri-spec. Seems odd that they will go all mule-stubborn on that.

Quote Originally Posted by murderball89 View Post
    Official post yesterday said there won't be another expansion so don't worry.
    Huh? I read they were already working on the next expansion. Color me confused.
    Karma always has the last laugh.

Basically this. I admit when the new talents were announced I was a bit unsure, but now I think it makes more sense then the old system. No longer do we have to put our talents in meaningless or mandatory choices, now we can customize our character to more suit our play styles. Its not perfect, but I hope it will be a template that Blizz continues to improve in the future.

As for jumping the shark, I seriously don't think it done that yet, but I guess it could be down to personal opinion.