Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Or you could just max out the camera speed in the options.
    It's been said a thousand times before and I'll say it again, maxing out camera speed is the equivalent of increasing mouse sensitivity. It does absolutely nothing to remove the delay, the camera continues to remain just slightly behind mouse controls.

Log into WoW and swivel the camera around. Then log into GW2 and swivel the camera around. If you don't notice an immediate difference in the amount of "responsiveness" of the camera between the two games then I'm afraid I can't do anything more to help explain the difference.

Also, I did mention that I'm used to GW2's camera now and it's not as much of a game-breaker as it was when I started

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Moving media are really the same, whether it's on your TV, in the cinema, or on your computer monitor - whether it's a game or a movie doesn't matter. The same judder effect remains, which is why I recommended that he give that article a read; why I said that "anything past 25 fps or so is just for e-peen" is incorrect. Now I can't quite tell whether you're agreeing with that or disagreeing - your post seems split 50-50 between saying I'm wrong, and saying I'm right.
    Motion judder is an artifact caused because movies are recorded at 24fps. Judder is non-existent in gaming because games aren't "recorded", they're played. There is no 3:2 pulldown conversion with computer monitors since all of them support atleast 60hz while many TV's are confined to 24-30hz. Also a bit off-topic, but I never notice any judder on my home TV because it uses 100hz smoothing/blurring to help "fill in" the gaps between frames (ta-da, judder gone!).
    The article you linked really has no relevance to why 24 fps isn't enough in gaming. With gaming it's more about input lag and hand-eye reception (the link between controls and ingame movement/camera), things which don't apply to movies.
    I think you're confusing "judder" with "stutter".
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-09-04 at 12:27 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I think you're confusing "judder" with "stutter".
    Hmm, might be the case. Over the past year or so I've become far more familiar with TV terminology (due to working at a local TV station) than I ever was with computer terminology. As an example, two years ago I'd accidentally say "screenshot" rather than "take a picture" - these days I occasionally call it "freeze frame".

At any rate, the point behind my rationale, whether it was accurate or inaccurate, stands - the 24 fps myth is only a myth, and frame rates higher than 24 have a visible difference between them.

Deleted
    the camera continues to remain just slightly behind mouse controls.
    This annoyed the heck out of me during the beta weekends. Bumping up the mouse polling rate and playing without vsync made it somewhat better and much less noticeable.

Deleted
    Get anything from 30-50 FPS less if in WvWvW

My specs are

Windows 7 64bit
    ASUS P6X58D-E MoBo
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366
    Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
    1GB XFX HD5870

Thx for any help

My current CPU runs gw2 on a speed of 3-15FPS -

Windows 7 32bit
    4GB ram
    Nvidia 9500GT
    inter core duo 2.33Ghz

Upgrading on monday to-

Windows 7 64bit
    8GB ram
    GTX560
    Intel core i7 2600 3.44Ghz

Will report hows it running then

Hey guys, I have an interesting problem.

Last night, not 24 hours ago, I was running GW2 at 40-50 fps. I logged in today, and I got ~15. I downloaded the new drivers for my HD 6950, and now I get closer to 6 fps consistently.

My rig-
    CPU: Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz.
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD6950
    RAM: 8GB
    Drivers: Catalyst 12.8

Nothing about my PC changed between yesterday and today. Anybody else have this problem? Restarting didn't help. Next step would be to reinstall the game and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by UberGnome View Post

Last night, not 24 hours ago, I was running GW2 at 40-50 fps. I logged in today, and I got ~15. I downloaded the new drivers for my HD 6950, and now I get closer to 6 fps consistently.

My rig-

Nothing about my PC changed between yesterday and today. Anybody else have this problem? Restarting didn't help. Next step would be to reinstall the game and see what happens.
    Happens occasionally to my comp that has a Radeon 6850; although, restarting usually fixes the issue, which you said did not help. When it happens again, going to try to find the root cause.
    Waste not, want not.

Quote Originally Posted by UberGnome View Post

My rig-

Yes and no... my frame rate has definitely tanked in the past few days but its still at a good rate, prior to the 7th I was averaging 76-82 FPS on highest graphics settings and after the 7th it dropped to 45-50FPS, which though its still better then what many people get it still is a 35-45% FPS drop from what it was prior to the patch on the 7th. So whatever they did on the 7th did make a big difference to me as well, though not enough for me to care about since anything above 40 FPS is fine for most games, its only when it dips to 30 or below where I feel I need to drop down my settings to raise the FPS back up...

On a side note, leaving everything on highest settings other then droping shadows down to low and unchecking Hich Res character textures raises my frame rate back up from the 45-50 range up to 95-104 range... so you may want to try altering those two options if your having major FPS issues, as for me I am going to put them back up since I am not suffering to bad on the frame rate side. [EDIT: High res character models don't update untill switching maps so that 95-104 FPS is just by doping shadows down but not high rez character models, switching maps and back to see the difference now getting 110-120 FPS, so really the biggest FPS killer is shadows.]
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-10-10 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    unchecking Hich Res character textures raises my frame rate back up from the 45-50 range up to 95-104 range... so you may want to try altering those two options if your having major FPS issues, as for me I am going to put them back up since I am not suffering to bad on the frame rate side.
    I tried setting it down to minimum graphical settings and was only getting ~40 fps. At those settings and my rig, the fps should hit the ceiling. I think I'll wait for the next game update and see how that pans out. Besides, EVE is calling.

Well I won't go into specifics, as there's no point. But whoever told me several months ago that if I could run SWTOR on medium with acceptable but not great performance, I'd be able to run GW flawlessly, was dead wrong. On the lowest possible settings, in the starter zone, not even moving, I'm getting FPS of around 10-15.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Well I won't go into specifics, as there's no point. But whoever told me several months ago that if I could run SWTOR on medium with acceptable but not great performance, I'd be able to run GW flawlessly, was dead wrong. On the lowest possible settings, in the starter zone, not even moving, I'm getting FPS of around 10-15.
    It boils down to drivers/hardware specs so you SHOULD go into specifics, otherwise nobody can help you
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    I7-3820
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    Corsair H80
    Power Cooler HD 6970
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120gb SSD (Sata 3)
    16 Gigs of Ripjaw "x" series ram 1333mhz
    1 TB WD HDD
    750 gig WD HDD
    2 TB WD External HDD
    Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter
    Cougar 1000w PSU
    NZXT Switch 810 (Black)

I get 100-110 by myself and in a zone wide event i pull 70 plus FPS

I know the 6970 is old, but it gets the job done still. Ill be upgrading shortly to a 680. I was an AMD fan all the way. But after i bought the fx-8150 when it first came out, i was dissapointed w/ it. That is why i went w/ Intel, i pulled the 6970 out of my bulldozer build to save some cash. The fx 8150 makes a great LAN box/secondary desktop though. It comes in handy when i have a friend come over to play.

I myself am waiting for the Ivybridge -e , that is why i went w/ the 3820, i must say the 3820 is a beast, it is atleast twice as fast as the fx 8150

Just a tip for anyone looking into new GPUs - I'm running 2 x GTX 550 Ti's in SLI, in the UK you can pick a single card up for as low as £84 meaning two for £168. I get anything from 40 fps in places like Lions Arch to 70-80 fps out in the world questing. This is running at 1080p, settings all on High (Shadows on High, NOT Ultra) and AA off. Best texture filtering and high res textures are also both on.

The rest of my specs are in my sig for anyone whos intereted. The whole system set me back £650 - Not bad eh

Edit: I'm running the 296.10 drivers, the latest 306.97 drivers chopped 10-20 fps off my performance for some reason so rolled back.
    Last edited by Lukazor; 2012-10-11 at 01:59 PM.

It boils down to drivers/hardware specs so you SHOULD go into specifics, otherwise nobody can help you
    Fair enough, but the reason I won't go into specifics is I can't really. We tested it on my brother's computer, which is marginally worse than mine, and neither of us really know the specs on it. It's a jumbled up mess of replacement pieces and outdated stuff, and none of us know anything about updating drivers and whatnot. All we know is that the "can you run it?" website showed him clear, and he obviously wasn't. And if he can't, then I wouldn't do much better most likely. Unfortunate, too, because I'm sick to death of WoW and was really counting on this game to be my fix.

Edit: But just for the hell of it, I'll give you my computer specs.

Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 64-bit
    AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core Processor 2.8 GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4770
    4.1 GB RAM
    Last edited by Itisamuh; 2012-10-13 at 08:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    Intel i7 361QM @ 2.3GHz
    Nvidia 630M
    8 GB RAM

I get 40-65 FPS with everything Medium-High with only shadows turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    But just for the hell of it, I'll give you my computer specs.

ATI Radeon HD 4770
    4.1 GB RAM
    To be honest, you'd be lucky to have a playable framerate. The 4770 will be able to run it, but will need to sub-sample and be on a super low resolution. They say the minimum is a 256mb equivelent but that seems to be able to 'play' as in it functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuckerpooks View Post
    To be honest, you'd be lucky to have a playable framerate. The 4770 will be able to run it, but will need to sub-sample and be on a super low resolution. They say the minimum is a 256mb equivelent but that seems to be able to 'play' as in it functions.
    Yeah, I figured as much. I wish they would start posting minimum specs as meaning the worst setup you can have to play the game well, not the worst that can load the game at all. In any case, the whole thing is disappointing. My computer is only a couple years old, and for it to be outdated already is infuriating. It makes me miss console gaming.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 11:53 AM ----------

ATI Radeon HD 4770
    4.1 GB RAM

Well I decided to download the game on my PC with the above specs, even though it's not much better than my brother's, and I play it surprisingly well. I've seen my FPS dip to about 20, and I've seen it go up to 60, but even when it's down to 20 it seems smooth, not freezing and skipping around like it was on his PC. I'm averaging around 30 to 40, which feels completely smooth. Another odd thing is that it's not even on low settings. I put it on auto detect and it put most of my stuff at medium, some stuff high, some low. Even more weird is that my performance doesn't change at all even when I put it on the lowest possible. I haven't tried WvW yet though.