Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    You're completely missing the point.

The issue here is NOT the intelligence of the two people, but their BIAS. So the claim is that a test that measures intelligence is not particularly useful since that isn't really what people are concerned about.

It's like trying to figure out what size of pants to buy someone just by their weight. Sure you'll have a measurement, but it's not the one you really need.
    Edit: Sorry, i had totally forgotten you were replying in the context of Bill and John.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-09-19 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think part of the reason that people feel so badly about O'Reilly is because all they see is the bad.

Where do they see these clips? The Daily Show.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Bias in what?!

Also, what do you mean by "that isn't really what people are concerned about"? Did i ever say i was replying in a context of intelligence between Bill O'Reilly and John Stewart. I'm simply talking about intelligence in general.
    I give up on you.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    can't stand that Jon Stewart his show is atrocious! Its him spending 40 minutes making sarcastic remarks and very annoying moans and groans. i feel bad for the youth of today who falls for his 1 dimensional shtick.... its so pedestrian, and so predicable. It appeals to 3rd grade level intelligence.

poor kids today brainwashed by this misguided bafoon.
    You are just as funny as Jon Stewart!! His show is a comedy show, so yeah he is going to be sarcastic and make stupid noises because he knows his show is an entertainment show. He readily admits his show is not a news show. Where as Bill O'Reilley actually tries to make his show a "NO SPIN ZONE". You know Bill O'Reilly worked for Inside Edition, a tabloid, tmz type tv show.

I will agree with you for people who take Jon Stewart as the word in news and some say young people turn to Jon Stewart for their news. If I'm a cynic, I guess I could say they turn away from "main stream" because of shows like Bill O'Reilly, Rachel Maddow and others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    I do realize most people will slobber all over John Stewart. I think him to be a smart man. I think O Reilly is a smart man-- i am not hugely biased like most people here who have posted and will post. If this is an actual debate and not a comedy laugh off, i think you may want to temper your enthusiasm. I know people hate O Reilly out of bias against anything fox, but the man has written several political books and has a political show that runs most nights. I doubt anyone will take this line of reasoning. There will be a lot of John Stewart love and bashing of O Reilly. Both of them use writing teams, I wonder whose team will prepare better?
    Anyone can write a book about anything, and a political show doesn't mean anything, especially on Fox. On topic, I love Jon Stewart and am looking forward to this=D.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    Can somebody show me why Bill O'Reilly is so smart, and how he isn't at all terribly biased?

Deleted
    I will watch this, mainly to see how well Stewart does.
    I really like his show - but reading and acting to text written by your writers team is not the same thing as a debate. Interviewing people is not the same thing as a debate.
    O Riley... Dunno, I just can't see him do well in a properly moderated debate. One of his main tactics tend to be to just shout louder if the guest does not agree. Can't do that in a proper debate, now can you.

Just hope it doesn't turn into just comedy from Stewarts side. I know he can be a funny talk show host, now I want to see a proper debate.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    I will watch this, mainly to see how well Stewart does.
    I really like his show - but reading and acting to text written by your writers team is not the same thing as a debate. Interviewing people is not the same thing as a debate.
    O Riley... Dunno, I just can't see him do well in a properly moderated debate. One of his main tactics tend to be to just shout louder if the guest does not agree. Can't do that in a proper debate, now can you.

Just hope it doesn't turn into just comedy from Stewarts side. I know he can be a funny talk show host, now I want to see a proper debate.
    Stewart actually did a debate with O Riley on Fox and they can be found on YouTube also he did take it seriously.

I would never bother to have a debate with a man who believes that the existence of tides is unexplained and is conclusive evidence of a deity. Someone like that will just drag you down to their level, and then beat you at the stupidity that they're much more experienced with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stewart seems kinda arrogant, but at least he lets the people who come on his show speak. I hate shouting matches. I prefer Colbert over either of those guys

Neither O'Reilly or Stewart are news, they're entertainment. All they do is invoke emotional responses from their viewers--one with jokes, the other by being a douche--while discussing political and social issues, making it seem like they're giving people actual news. The difference is that Stewart admits this freely and is even on the comedy channel, while O'Reilly is on the news channel and pretends that he's informing people on meaningful issues (although I'm sure he's smart enough to know what he's actually doing).

Jon Stewart is infinitely more articulate and always brings a rational, out well-thought argument to the table when he's having debates (even if he does go for the easy joke way too often, which a lot of times hurts his credibility). O'Reilly brings up issues that invoke an emotional response from his viewers and then refuses to listen to rational thought on the subject. I think his goal is to make it look like he's tough and sticking up for social and political conservatives, but anyone who's even remotely moderate can see that he's just a pussy who can't have a difficult conversation. If you couldn't tell I like Jon Stewart (and Colbert), but I don't watch them regularly and anyone who considers those shows "news" is just as ignorant as anyone who calls O'Reilly news.

One makes me laugh by insulting my intelligence. The other makes me laugh due to being genuinely funny.

I like the satire of Colbert more than either, though.

I thought Stewart put O'Reilly in his place. Bill contradicted himself a lot. Brilliant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I thought Stewart put O'Reilly in his place. Bill contradicted himself a lot. Brilliant stuff.
    There were a lot of questions that Bill never answered from Stewart which would have made Bill look very bad. Imo there isnt much discussion about who won the debate simply due to this question dodging at critical points. I think it was especially sad when he started mocking the idea that military medics could run the healthcare if others were inept.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Stewart seems kinda arrogant, but at least he lets the people who come on his show speak. I hate shouting matches. I prefer Colbert over either of those guys
    But Colbert does exactly what O'Reilly does. Whenever he has a guest he spends the whole time interrupting them and making jokes when, a lot of times, I REALLY wanna hear what they have to say.

It bugs me just as much when Colbert does it as O'Reilly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    There were a lot of questions that Bill never answered from Stewart which would have made Bill look very bad. Imo there isnt much discussion about who won the debate simply due to this question dodging at critical points. I think it was especially sad when he started mocking the idea that military medics could run the healthcare if others were inept.
    Bill was right that Jon either misrepresented or simply confused the national debt with a budget deficit. The deficit was not 0 when Bush took office, even with a budget surplus. Because despite Bushes budget spending the trillions that equaled the debt, there were still taxes collected. It all did not go on the deficit, just most of it.

I side with Jon on most of the things he said, but I disagree with both on mandatory community service.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    They're both morons. Anyone who thinks they aren't, is an even bigger moron.
    so true. I think it would be funny if it turned into them 69ing each other and laughing at the crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    But Colbert does exactly what O'Reilly does. Whenever he has a guest he spends the whole time interrupting them and making jokes when, a lot of times, I REALLY wanna hear what they have to say.

The whole point of Colbert is that he is arrogant, that's why he gets the applause when running up to interviews. So to like Colbert, but dislike Steward on arrogance, is strange. Most of Steward's jokes are self deprecating, Colbert's are self glorifying.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 06:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    so true. I think it would be funny if it turned into them 69ing each other and laughing at the crowd.
    That kinda did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

I find that Colbert's way of interviewing is pretty good while he is able to keep his character. He attacks a point he knows they can easily refute and turn around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stewart one the debate, but i Respect O'Reilly especially towards the end when he spoken honestly about political assasins