I'm not sure why you think we're not following. Why don't you actually address what we said, which is that extreme events like Katrina warrant different treatment than more run of the mill disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Are you trying to blame the outrage game when I suggest that the aid package a state gets might be based on their need?
    what do you mean blame the outrage game?

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 02:26 AM ----------

I'm not sure why you think we're not following. Why don't you actually address what we said, which is that extreme events like Katrina warrant different treatment than more run of the mill disasters.
    So hurricanes are run of the mill disasters?

what do you mean blame the outrage game?
    Play not blame, my bad.
    So hurricanes are run of the mill disasters?
    Oh get the hell out if you're going to be like this. You damn well know what I'm saying.

Play not blame, my bad.

Oh get the hell out if you're going to be like this. You damn well know what I'm saying.
    No, I don't. You think there are levels to disasters. You think funding is based on these levels. You said katrina was extreme. So what level is Isaac?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    No, I don't. You think there are levels to disasters. You think funding is based on these levels. You said katrina was extreme. So what level is Isaac?
    So you think all natural disasters cause equal amounts of damage and must all receive the same level of aid?

“What’s happening down in New Orleans?” Obama shouted during the speech, which was recorded at the Virginia university in June of 2007. “Where’s your dollar? Where’s your Stafford Act Money? Makes no sense! It tells me, the people down in New Orleans, they don’t care about as much!”

The Stafford Act requires states and localities to add their own money to federal funds disbursed for rebuilding after disasters. The amount of required matching funds can vary up to 25 percent, under the law.

According to Louisiana Republican Rep. Steve Scalise, the president has responded to the August landfall of Hurricane Isaac, which devastated several parishes in Louisiana, by requiring local governments to provide the maximum allowable 25 percent matching funds to receive their federal aid, instead of the 10 percent match that served as the Bush administration’s guideline in the aftermath of Katrina.

So the state wants help. But obama doesn't want them to get the same help as before. And you say, the current President can decide they pay the maximum 25% after he made a huge deal about the same state having to pay 10%, which--when he made the speech about it--was already being paid by the federal government. And you are okay with a President who has a double standard for when he is running for office, and when he is in office?
    Isaac is estimated at 1.5 Billion in damages.
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/29/news...tes/index.html

Hurricaine Katrina is over 125 Billion in damages
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...e_x.htm?csp=34

So the difference is that Isaac caused about 1.25% the damage of Katrina.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    isaac is estimated at 1.5 billion in damages.

hurricaine katrina is over 125 billion in damages

so the difference is that isaac caused about 1.25% the damage of katrina.
    thanks for nothing obama

thanks for nothing obama
    That damn obama, not giving out free money to the states. SUPPORT STATES RIGHTS TO FREE MONEY, VOTE GOP!

Wait... what is going on in here?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Isaac is estimated at 1.5 Billion in damages.

Hurricaine Katrina is over 125 Billion in damages

So the difference is that Isaac caused about 1.25% the damage of Katrina.
    So 1.5 billion is nothing. Especially to people who live there. I guess you're right, they don't need help. Why even pretend to help them, let's let them fend for themselves.

So 1.5 billion is nothing. Especially to people who live there. I guess you're right, they don't need help. Why even pretend to help them, let's let them fend for themselves.
    Is your position so weak you have to invent counter arguments?

Hey strawman, cool. The state needs to help its citizens at the rate of 25 cents for every dollar the federal government helps them. Does MN and ND complain when Fargo floods that they have to kick in 25% of the money instead of 10%? How about tornado alley?

Is your position so weak you have to invent counter arguments?
    I am sorry that you think 1.5 billion is nothing on your scale level of damages. Since it is not on the same level as katrina, then I guess we should make them pay the whole 25%. I like how you gloss over the fact that the Bush administration paid for the 10% they charged with federal money and obama blasted them for not caring, but now that it's him making them pay 25%, you are okay, because pfft what's 1.5 billion. It's nothing compared to katrina, I mean come on, it's run of the mill as you like to say. 1.5 billion is run of the mill, it's nothing.

Are you seriously doing this? I have friends and family in New Orleans who would seriously punch you in the face over this. Katrina was everything. Isaac was nothing. (Yes, it damaged stuff... but...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882823.html )

In the state I live in, an early frost can be a billion dollar disaster.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I am sorry that you think 1.5 billion is nothing on your scale level of damages. Since it is not on the same level as katrina, then I guess we should make them pay the whole 25%. I like how you gloss over the fact that the Bush administration paid for the 10% they charged with federal money and obama blasted them for not caring, but now that it's him making them pay 25%, you are okay, because pfft what's 1.5 billion. It's nothing compared to katrina, I mean come on, it's run of the mill as you like to say. 1.5 billion is run of the mill, it's nothing.
    Its really nice of you to put so many words in my mouth so I can save time on posting.

Maybe though you could make the words less dumb?

Take this as a time to educate yourself.

http://www.emdat.be/natural-disasters-trends

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Are you seriously doing this? I have friends and family in New Orleans who would seriously punch you in the face over this. Katrina was everything. Isaac was nothing. (Yes, it damaged stuff... but...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882823.html )

In the state I live in, an early frost can be a billion dollar disaster.
    Can you please show me where on your information how much relief they received, I could not find it. Can you please show me where on your information that a presidential candidate used it for political gain, then reversed course int he same state years later?

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 03:09 AM ----------

Its really nice of you to put so many words in my mouth so I can save time on posting.

Maybe though you could make the words less dumb?
    Did you say that a 1.5 billion hurricane disaster was run of the mill?

Did you say that a 1.5 billion hurricane disaster was run of the mill?
    Frankly? It is. 1.5 Billion in total damages is a relatively weak hurricane. As someone above stated, an early frost in some states can easily do 1 billion in damages. This isn't a natural disaster anywhere near on the scale of Katrina, so the response should be different.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Frankly? It is. 1.5 Billion in total damages is a relatively weak hurricane. As someone above stated, an early frost in some states can easily do 1 billion in damages. This isn't a natural disaster anywhere near on the scale of Katrina, so the response should be different.
    What is your definition of run of the mill? According to the link belf gave us, they say 12 events of 1billion+ have already happened this year. It also states there have been 112 from 1980-2011....that means an average of less then 4 a year. Is less then 4 a year considered run of the mill?

What is your definition of run of the mill? According to the link belf gave us, they say 12 events of 1billion+ have already happened this year. It also states there have been 112 from 1980-2011....that means an average of less then 4 a year. Is less then 4 a year considered run of the mill?
    Considering an annual event is pretty run-of-the-mill, yes, I would say 4 a year would qualify something as fairly run-of-the-mill. Disasters where the Stafford Act have been historically waved have been...astronomical in scale. A disaster that is less than 1/50th the damaging power of Katrina should absolutely not be treated the same.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

This is what happens when you get your news from the Daily Caller.