Deleted

Best game to learn russian?

I'm not looking for a game that's purely focused on learning russian, i'd rather pick up a couple of words and focus on the subtitles.

I tried metro 2033 but there's some issues with that game.

Deleted
    Save your time and better learn chinese or german.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Had88 View Post
    Save your time and better learn chinese or german.
    Lmao why?

/10char

I can teach you some russian, and its not google translate, well it is because I don't have a russian keyboard (Went to a russian speaking country for about 6 weeks so I learned quite alot of it.) (I know the curse words too xD)

I hear Russian roulette is the game for you!

All you need to know is nyet, comrade and vodka.

I don't know if GW2 has a Russian client, but if it does that would be an excellent choice. First, the options allow you to set audio and text languages differently. Second, you can change languages very quickly by pressing a hotkey, so you can switch between your first language and Russian to compare/translate without going into the menu or even restarting the game.
    If it's there's no Russian client available (I believe not, a quick Google search didn't bring up any useful info) you might still want to track Arenanets progress on creating new clients. I don't know if they plan to add more clients either, but it would really be an amazing tool to learn a new language!

Edit: I know for sure that WoW has a Russian client, so that would be an option. Sadly, the language settings/technical implementation isn't as good as in GW2.
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2012-10-10 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with stalker as previously suggested .
    Maybe metro2033. Debatable though.
    Make sure to use Russian voice over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    Except one problem... they use a different alphabet.

So, just knowing нет, товарищ and водка might not be enough.

Deleted
    Al'right, i'll try one of the Stalker series. (but isn't that Ukrainian? or is it similiar to russian?)

I know: Da, nyet and i'm not sure about this but ''das vee danye'' (it's either good luck or good bye) I learned that from Red Alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I hear Russian roulette is the game for you!
    Please don't post in such a way.

I would have to suggest Stalker and add that a game may not be the best way to learn a language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Except one problem... they use a different alphabet.

So, just knowing нет, товарищ and водка might not be enough.
    Russian is super easy, i learned it from playing dota 2.

<Snip Image>

No need to thank me !

Infracted
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-10-11 at 10:53 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by blikz1 View Post
    I'm not looking for a game that's purely focused on learning russian, i'd rather pick up a couple of words and focus on the subtitles.

I tried metro 2033 but there's some issues with that game.
    Almost every major title is localized in Russia: Diablo, SC2, Borderlands, etc, etc.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think playing games is actually the best way to learn a foregin language. I took a 3 year (I think it was 3) course to learn English in addition to school program.

Also, comparing localized text/audio in Russian to the original version is a very unreliable thing too. Remember, that often localization is quite different from straight translation. And while it may not be a bad thing on its own, it's definitely not gonna help you understand the meaning of certain words etc.

If you really do want to somehow tie games to learning a language, and don't want to spend money on additional education, I'd say your best try is not playing games in the said language, but discussing the games you like with people who speak that language.

On a related note, there was that interesting website, where users who are interested in learning languages help each other. Like, when you register there, you select your native language and the languages you want to learn. And after that on your profile homepage you'll get a feed of other people's messages in languages that might interest you. You're welcomed to correct and comment on these posts. It's like a blog or something similar, but unfortunately I forgot how this site was called.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing games isn't really how you'd want to learn Russian, no more than watching cartoons would be an ideal way to learn Japanese.

First off, Russian uses Cyrillic characters, and if you were wanting to go to Russia or talk to a Russian in their native language (or in this case, read/write), you wouldn't get far without knowing what those Cyrillic characters mean.

Second, dialogue in games is going to consist of pre-recorded lines, and if they were lines originally written in a different language, they may not translate into anything that wouldn't make you sound like some kind of mentally challenged robot.

By far the best means of learning a language is immersion, or failing that, actually learning to talk and read the language like a child would. Obviously this means the best possible way would be to find someone to tutor you, but that might not be an option. I've heard the Rosetta Stone software is pretty great for teaching at least basic fluency in most languages, though it's kind of pricey.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Hah. I had to learn Russian in school as it was mandatory course for every GDR citizen. Still very rusty, I still can read and hand-write it though.

Anyways, games are not a good place for learning that. It's not a hard language though.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!