Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    Bill Nye (he is a scientist, right? TV didn't lie to me, did it?)
    Stephen Hawking
    Michio Kaku if Bill Nye gets tossed out
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Back in Molten Core in Vanilla, about 20 people up and the rest still being ressed. Cidet, our rogue, goes in stealth and moves up to Ragnaros. About 5 seconds later, Ragnaros aggroes and starts killing all of us again. Everyone is pissed and I whisper Cidet "wtf happened?!". All he replies me is...

"Target has no pockets"

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Could say the same of the Mythbusters, but both are hugely important because they teach skepticism and the scientific method to the common person.
    Yeah I don't really consider them scientists either lol. Entertaining as all hell, and definitely leading figures in the skepticism movement. I guess it just comes down to what I define as a scientist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yeah I don't really consider them scientists either lol. Entertaining as all hell, and definitely leading figures in the skepticism movement. I guess it just comes down to what I define as a scientist.
    Well, what is a scientist? Someone who systematically pursues knowledge using the scientific method. The Mythbusters certainly fit into that definition. Bill Nye, less so.

But, repetition of experiments is what makes them scientific, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Well, what is a scientist? Someone who systematically pursues knowledge using the scientific method. The Mythbusters certainly fit into that definition. Bill Nye, less so.

I'd say research, being published, but then those guys could fall into that as well. I guess what it just comes down to, is anyone who runs an experiment a scientist? I can't say that there's any real genuine inspiration coming from MythBusters, it's mostly entertainment. Damn good entertainment, but it's hardly frontier research.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'd say research, being published, but then those guys could fall into that as well. I guess what it just comes down to, is anyone who runs an experiment a scientist? I can't say that there's any real genuine inspiration coming from MythBusters, it's mostly entertainment. Damn good entertainment, but it's hardly frontier research.
    I would call bringing science and skepticism to the masses genuine inspiration. Not every scientist has to be at the forefront of research.

Take cosmetological scientists that try to make shampoo give hair more lustre as an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Newton
    Darwin, although could debate more biologist,
    Einstein

to go with the obvious
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Wikipedia lists him as a scientist, for what it's worth.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I would call bringing science and skepticism to the masses genuine inspiration. Not every scientist has to be at the forefront of research.

Take cosmetological scientists that try to make shampoo give hair more lustre as an example.
    Yeah but even that Cosmetologist is improving upon something. Not just recreating what's been done before.

Blowing up a latrine isn't exactly scientific, it's just awesome. Now if they were trying to create a brand new explosive to blow up latrines...then I'd have to rethink that.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-10 at 09:31 PM.

Deleted
    Lol, everyone knows Hawking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Einstein, Oppenheimer, Vaun Braun.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I dunno, those two guys who debunked the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle seem to have done a Eureka-worthy moment.
    I thought they discovered a way to check on Schrodinger's Cat... not debunk Heisenberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I thought they discovered a way to check on Schrodinger's Cat... not debunk Heisenberg.
    Schrodinger's Cat is not directly related to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, it's more to do with the inability to measure a result given a random event as opposed to Heisenberg's relating to the inability to measure both momentum and position simultaneously of a particle. The box is a thought experiment surrounding a total lack of observation leading to both results being simultaneously true, versus Uncertainty Principle being that the moment you take the measurement, you have affected the system and cannot measure the other with any accuracy without the first measurement now being untrue.

Which leads to my favorite physics joke...Why are Physicists bad at sex? Because when they find the position, they can't work out the momentum and when they do find the momentum, they've lost the position.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-10 at 09:41 PM.

I only know two.

Stephen Hawking
    Michio Kaku

I had to check the spelling on Kaku, so I knew 1,5 famous living scientists. I know of Hawking since, well, he's pretty much our times Einstein, and I know of Kaku since he really likes that camera, and appears basically everywhere and many science-type series that I follow. He even appears in fictive stuff (like the science behind Mass Effect, and stuff like that).

Stephen Hawking, the only scientist you need! :P

I wouldn't consider Richard Dawkins a scientist... He's more of a philosopher.

deGrasse Tyson
    Cox
    Hawking
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Seref View Post
    Stephen Hawking, the only scientist you need! :P

I wouldn't consider Richard Dawkins a scientist... He's more of a philosopher.
    Richard Dawkins is a preeminent evolutionary biologist. He works at the University of Oxford... He's the reason the word "meme" exists. If he's not a scientist then what the hell do you consider a scientist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Scientists aren't famous anymore because of the concept of team effort and the fact that cutting edge science doesn't have direct affects on our lives - same could be said for sociologists, psychologists and other soft sciences.

They do very important things but they generally work for larger corporations and are often mixed in with engineers and technicians to make it useful.

It's a shame, we need more famous scientists for actually doing proper science to encourage younger generations, but being a scientist is comparably easy to being a top level athlete so they get paid a lot more.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

I don't think you could find anyone who has even a modest interest in science that couldn't name these guys right off the top of their head:

Stephen Hawking
    Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Bill Nye

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They just won a Nobel prize for it. They managed to measure the energy of an electron and determine its location simultaneously.
    Sweet gravy train why the hell wasn't this in the news EVERYWHERE?!

Tyson, Hawking, and that British guy who isn't the Doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    Sweet gravy train why the hell wasn't this in the news EVERYWHERE?!

Tyson, Hawking, and that British guy who isn't the Doctor.
    Well that's not exactly what they did, they won the Nobel for creating means for us to measure quantum states of particles, but these are methods that have been in practice now since the 90s if not earlier (Wineland's methods for example). It's more to do with the ideas of superposition and in-determination as opposed to uncertainty principle. Things like quantum spin etc.

As is my understanding anyway, gonna read more...
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-10 at 10:41 PM.