10+ Year Old Account

[BIO] Rhoan Wells

This is my first attempt at RP, so I hope I haven't made any obvious mistakes

Name: Rhoan Wells
    Race: Human
    Class: Paladin

Languages:

- Common: fluently
    - Dwarven: fairly fluent in speech. Learned Dwarven during his studies is Northshire while exploring Dwarven culture. He is fascinated by the Titans and their creations, so he has a soft spot for dwarves.
    - Guterspeak: Due to his studies in Forsaken and attempts to bring them back to the light, he has a basic knowledge of gutterspeak, and can understand spoken gutterspeak reasonably well. He will hardly ever use it himself due to the bad reputation it has, and because he is not very skilled in it.

Faction: None - formerly church of the holy light

Personality: Rhoan used to have a fiery temper when he was young. He got into quarrels often, and spent some time behind bars, much to the dismay of his (then) noble family. Ever since his paladin training, he has changed his ways, focusing on helping people in need. He has a soft spot for history, especially the ancient times of the titans. Rhoan has grown up to become a kind, compassionate man.

Likes/Dislikes:

- History. The forming of the worlds has always fascinated him, and lately he has been travelling a lot, in search of ancient artifacts.
    - Forsaken. While as a paladin, he should resent the undead, Rhoan feels sorry for the people of the Forsaken, and is determined to help find a cure for their illness, if that is even possible. He respects their resilience.
    - Beer. During his dwarven studies, he obviously came in contact with their ales, and has developed a taste for the finer dwarven brews. He was often found sleeping with his head buried in a book in the northshire library, after drinking a few too many.

Dislikes:

-Rascism. Rhoan's noble family sided with the Perenoldes in the second war. Rhoan knows what it feels like to be discriminated because of heritage or race. He has developed a soft spot for people in the same position, like the forsaken.

Appearance: Rhoan stands 6 ft. (183 cm) tall, has short, gray hair, and is usually seen wearing various tints of brown, usually hooded. People will often mistake him for a monk.
    Underneath his cloak, however, he will always wear a Plate armor, his mace, and his tome.
    He is sometimes seen carrying a shield, but prefers to avoid physical contact in battle.

Strengths/Weaknesses:

+: Remarkable talent for channeling the light. He is a skilled healer, but if necessary, will not hesitate to smite his foes to the ground with a well-placed spell.

+: Compassionate, charismatic, and a skilled orator, Rhoan has a natural talent for leadership.

-: While he is blessed by the light in many ways, Rhoan is starting to get old. His body is not what it used to be.

History:

-6: As a young adolescent of a noble family, Rhoan revolted quite often against the pompous ways of his parents. He often slipped out of the manor to play with the less-fortunate kids. As the years went by, he started hanging out with thugs, and got put behind bars more than once. His family's influence always got him out soon enough, though.

-2: Since the boy had shown remarkable susceptibility for channeling the light, he was sent to the church of the holy light, where he would learn of the three virtues. His parents decided this would be the best way to shape the unruly boy into a man.

1: He was serving the church in Nortshire at the time the Orcish invasion began. When the abbey was razed by the Orcish invasion, Rhoan followed Alonsus and Uther to Stratholme, where he later became a member of the Knights of the Silver Hand. He fought alongside Uther and his paladins in the second war.Rhoan's parents sided with Aidan Perenolde, the Alterac king who betrayed the Alliance.

25: When Uther fell to Arthas and the Order nearly disappeared, Rhoan had lost all that was ever dear to him. His family, most of his friends and mentors in the order, his home in Alterac. He went trough a dark period in his life and ended up wandering trough lordaeron. He eventually joined the Scarlet Crusade for a few years, decimating any and all undead he could find.

34: Rhoan was still in the Scarlet Crusade during the transformation to the Scarlet Onslaught. He was stationed at New Hearthglen. While patrolling the area, his group was ambushed by Nerubian forces and was nearly killed. He was "rescued" by a group of Ebon blade knights. They would have killed him without asking questions, were it not for the fact that one of them was Jacob Mennery, an old member of the Silver Hand, and Rhoan's sparring partner. He was thrown in the Wintergarde prison, where he started to question his maddened zealotry. He denounced his scarlet onslaught beliefs and eventually was released, under the condition that he would join the Argent crusade, where he could be put under constant surveillance until he had earned their trust. While he had a hard time fitting in at first, his dedication to the argent cause earned him a place in the Ashen Verdict.
    He was part of the defenses in Light's hammer, making sure the camp stayed safe from the scourge. During the battle there, he fought side to side with Jacob, the Death Knight who saved his life earlier in dragonblight.

36: After the death of the Lich King, Rhoan went back to Lordaeron with Jacob to help clear the land of the remaining scourge. There he learned of Jacob's hardships. The death knight eagerly wanted to return to his former self, to the great and noble paladin of whom he was just a shadow now. Rhoan, who owed his life to his former sparring partner, decided to dedicate his life to finding a cure for the curse brought upon the undead Death Knights and the Forsaken. They experimented the effects of the light on the remaining scourge.But to no avail. Together, they fought the undead in Stratholme, hoping to find something on the subject in the tomes of the library there, but nothing of interest was found. During the "excavation", the two were fleeing from a throng of undead, when Jacob, torn apart by his anger and grief, sacrificed himself by storming into the massive horde at elder's square, slaughtering a few dozen of mindless scourge before succumbing to his wounds. This gave Rhoan the time to escape from the infested city. He was left devastated, however, by the loss of his dear friend.

Since those years, Rhoan has been travelling the continent, looking for knowledge on how to clear the scourge taint and save the afflicted.
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2012-10-17 at 09:44 AM.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unique. He seems like the kind of guy Nox would enjoy turning.

I see no immediate, major flaws except that he belongs to a royal lore family - we typically frown upon that kind of thing. A noble family perhaps, but without the personal familial connection to the royalty.

I'll let others chime in on that. Might be able to get away with it if he isn't IMMEDIATE family but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Synaxis; 2012-10-11 at 07:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    Unique. He seems like the kind of guy Nox would enjoy turning.

I see no immediate, major flaws except that he belongs to a royal lore family - we typically frown upon that kind of thing. A noble family perhaps, but without the personal familial connection to the royalty.

I'll let others chime in on that. Might be able to get away with it if he isn't IMMEDIATE family but I doubt it.
    I was afraid that might be bending the lore a bit too much, but figured, since the family's noble bloodline is now almost irrelevant (Aidan later became the leader of the syndicate, now lead by his son Aliden) it wouldn't be too much of a problem. I didn't mention how closely related he is to Aidan for this reason, I imagine him to be the son of a nephew, or something like that. Close enough to be associated with the bloodline, but not close enough to be lore-breaking.

I really wanted to include the "discriminated because of his past" thing because it works with his fascination for the less-fortunate races.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

A kingdom can have many royal houses, but they will always only have one royal family. Considering how far he is from the throne, your character would probably have the exact same upbringing in a noble house but without the extensive lore-bending of being related to major lore characters, regardless of their kingdom's status.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    A kingdom can have many royal houses, but they will always only have one royal family. Considering how far he is from the throne, your character would probably have the exact same upbringing in a noble house but without the extensive lore-bending of being related to major lore characters, regardless of their kingdom's status.
    Thx for the feedback, I'll rewrite that part of the character, will make him part of a family that sided with the Perenoldes in the "Alterac betrayal".

EDIT: I have changed the story, and his surname, if possible, could the thread title be updated to [BIO] Rhoan Wells ?
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2012-10-11 at 02:19 PM.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Gone ahead and fixed that for you. Keep working on the character and I'm sure you'll end up with something good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Where are my manners....

Welcome to the RP forums! Always glad to have a fellow Light-bearer in our midst.

Just a few questions:

Which Church are you referring too in this statement? :"Since the boy had shown remarkable susceptibility for channeling the light, he was sent to the church of the holy light, where he would learn of the three virtues."

Also at what age? This is kind of important given the state of the world and as you mentioned several wars were going on during a large portion of this time.

While being a part of the Church is not necessary for being a priest/paladin, why isn't he? While the plight of the Forsaken isn't a truly evil one, their very being goes against the natural order of the world and corrupts it. Why has he become so understanding (for lack of a better term) for them? Seeking to help them, while noble, goes against the majority of the rest of the world. Even after being severed from the Lich King and granted their free will back, do they really deserve to be "cured"? For all the woe and misery they have spread in the past 8 years, why does Rhoan believe they even can be "cured"?

Also you label him as a paladin but I can't see why. The main part of becoming a paladin was serving with-in the Order of the Silverhand (ie: the birth of paladins) or later with the Argents. While the Orders did have healers in their ranks this was not their main mass. They were and are meant to be a force of the Light. Protectors and Fighters, seeking to eliminate evil (mainly the scourge) where-ever it may be. While you have Rhoan described pretty well as a priest, I'm just not seeing his paladin side. If it is just that you wish for him to wear plate remember you don't have to be limited by in game mechanics here.

I don't understand his connection to Mani Winterhoof at all. The Horde, especially now, are completely anti-alliance. How and why was he able to get around this barrier with a Tauren Alchemist who resides in Thunder Bluff?

That's all for now. Really my main concern is his whole deal about curing the Forsaken and why it is so important to him.
    Last edited by Nonfictionless; 2012-10-12 at 03:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate writing a wall of text, only to be logged out and lose everything

Anyway:

I will change the character history so Rhoan is stationed in the church of the holy light at northshire at the time Uther creates the silver hand there. He will follow Uther and thus fight in the wars, giving him an extra motivation not to follow his king (Aidan) in his treachery and founding of the syndicate.

I believe it would be possible for a Paladin to feel compassion for the forsaken, even though it is against their nature. As a character on the good side of the spectrum, it seems odd to hate every forsaken, regardless of their intentions. Sure, some, if not most of them are scum. However, there are a lot who didn't choose their fate, and long for a cure.

There are a lot of NPC's (mainly Tauren, Mani Winterhoof being the most prominent) who actively seek a cure for the forsaken curse. While the paladins are naturally quite zealous and anti-undead in any form, their order originated from the church of the holy light, based around the three virtues: Respect, tenacity and compassion.
    Blind hate for the forsaken seems to break with at least the compassion part.

I'll think about it, and change the biography a bit here and there

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 03:58 PM ----------

I have updated the story, giving Rhoan more of a paladin "feel" and also giving him a reason to find the forsaken cure.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Only the Scarlets really have a blind hatred for them. Others I would say see it as a part of Compassion. Most undead, as you say, didn't choose it. They are a bruise on the world that needs to be healed and the only thing to do to bring peace and a better world, as most people see it, is to put them back in the grave. Give their soul a rest from the dark magic that enslaves it to rotting flesh and forces it to continue on until they reach a mindless state. So really I am just curious as to his reason on looking for a true cure and not the one we already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonfictionless View Post
    Only the Scarlets really have a blind hatred for them. Others I would say see it as a part of Compassion. Most undead, as you say, didn't choose it. They are a bruise on the world that needs to be healed and the only thing to do to bring peace and a better world, as most people see it, is to put them back in the grave. Give their soul a rest from the dark magic that enslaves it to rotting flesh and forces it to continue on until they reach a mindless state. So really I am just curious as to his reason on looking for a true cure and not the one we already have.
    I have changed his biography a bit to fit his stance on the forsaken a bit more. I hope this is a bit better
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice bio and an interesting character. Well done! After some fixing it seems to have taken a better shape, thanks to others that commented earlier. My Thor would definitely have an interesting conversation with him about his family and Alterac incident He hates Perenoldes, you know

About his compassion againts forsaken, i think a different approach against the 'supposedly villain' playable race of WoW is very much needed, especially as an alternative alongside the cliche of 'paladin, holy warrior of the light, who vanquishes all evil' stereotype.

And nice conversion from Scarlet to Argent. Not everyone in Scarlet Crusade were mindless fanatics, famous Ashbringer was their leader once, and i hate it while everyone thinks of them to be like mindless idiots. Nice job there.