Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Best way to name your troops - load up Cannon Fodder (original) and take the first 10-20 names.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Best way to name your troops - load up Cannon Fodder (original) and take the first 10-20 names.
    I've been naming them after people I game with in MMOs but then I feel really bad when I kill them :P

It was way too damn short. I completed the game in 37 missions, and i stalled the hell out of the first capture objective to ensure my guys would stay alive. Konstantine "Constant" Morozov, who got his nickname from being as reliable as a physical constant (law of Konstantine; when somebody gets shot, he's there. For friendlies, to patch you up. For hostiles, he's the one who just shot you.)once dragged the entirety of his stabilized, unconcious team back from a mission gone wrong after taking down the last 3 mutons by himself. But that's besides the point.
    37 combat missions, some of which lasted mere five minutes? I intercepted a whopping 5-6 UFO's over the course of the entire game, attacked 4 more landed ones, and took one base. Nevermind the fact that I stalled like hell and was slow as a snail compared to the averages, what would you have done in the original xcom in the ~6 in-game months it took to beat this game on slow mode? UFO wrecks and landing sites everywhere! Secondary squad going to capture teh supply ship while alpha squad responds to laine terror. Chasing infiltration UFO above USA while the crash site of that scout we just shot down will have to wait. A regular day at original xcom.
    The whole game feels like it's a short and mediocrely written pipe run with non-essential missions as more of a padding. It's a shame because there's a good game in there, but the pacing has been utterly fucked up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    So far, the biggest bug I've found is that the mission to rescue 'Hutch' is unbeatable. On two separate playthroughs now, and countless attempts in various ways, I can't figure out why. First time I tried, I just cleared all the aliens out, got Hutch to the Skyranger...and the next time my turn ended, it asked if I wanted to abort the mission. It asked this every single time my turn ended from then on. I then tried doing it without killing ANY aliens (that was fucking HARD). Still the same issue, although it would then go to the alien's turn. I've tried it in every way I can think of, and there's just no way for it to work for me. My friend also has this issue, so I know it's not just my computer/game.
    Odd. You're playing on a PC I would imagine? I've not had any issues with that mission on my 360.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    The whole game feels like it's a short and mediocrely written pipe run with non-essential missions as more of a padding. It's a shame because there's a good game in there, but the pacing has been utterly fucked up.
    I wouldn't say its that bad but, yeah, Firaxis "simplified" this remake too much for my tastes. I actually quit in the middle of a crash mission last night because I was bored. I really like some of what they added, but they just took away too much of what I liked about the original.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

No wai - I've had too many heartbreaking moments when Jops and Jools bite the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    No wai - I've had too many heartbreaking moments when Jops and Jools bite the dust.
    War. What is it good for? Cannon Fodder naming definitely helps me become way more defensive of my troops.

War. What is it good for? Cannon Fodder naming definitely helps me become way more defensive of my troops.
    I think I'd be likely to get Stoo killed almost immediately. By the time he shows up Jools and Jops have a rank so who do you think will end up charging that enemey rocket dude.

(Sorry about keeping this off-topic, but I'm not allowed to play UFO yet and yes, I still refer to this games as UFO: Enemy Unknown).

Hehe, just noticed that if you type "War has n..." in to Google "...never been so much fun" show up before "never solved anything".

So, what is the consensus, is it worth the $50?

Well I feel stupid. This is probably a common sense thing that everyone else figured out without making the mistake I did, but I'll warn you guys anyway just in case.

DO NOT fire on an alien adjacent to a power node on the bomb missions.

I did.

My squad is now dead. My awesome sniper. My awesome assault guy.

*sigh * Game officially started over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worldalpha View Post
    Yes, but I'll never consider it "my" XCOM like I did the original. Firaxis "simplified" it too much for my tastes.

My favorite 'bug' was when I encountered 2 mutons and a berserker in the woods. Being out of range (they pulled back), I shot with my sniper, wounding the berserker and overwatched my team.

Alien turn. A friggin Cyber disc and a drone literally spawned between my entire squad. Everyone reaction shot THE DRONE. 5 people firing at one 3 hp target. The Cyber disc nades 2 of my troops, the 2 mutons run back, and each throw a grenade at said group, killing 1, critically injuring the other. Thankfully the berserker never came back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by worldalpha View Post
    I would say it definitely is.

I don't have archangel armor yet (well, I can produce it, but I don't have 40 engineers), so I am not sure how much I'll love flight, but so far grappling hook rules.

I am running 3 people in carapace armor (2 heavies and 1 support) - the ground squad, and 3 people in skeleton armor (1 assault, 1 support, 1 sniper) who stick exclusively to rooftops, like spidermen. They try their best to avoid using move actions that don't involve grappling to something and rappelling over to it.

Any sort of urban combat is fun-tastic, because I get to ambush aliens who think they're safe inside buildings from top floors. Outside of urban settings, the opportunities are more limited, but even so, I just shot down a supply ship 20 minutes ago, and my sniper rappelled in position on top of the shot-down UFO, only to get ambushed by 3 crysalids next turn. They surrounded him with nowhere to go, and I could see the saliva dripping from their teeth as they were getting ready to rip him to shreds, only to get severely disappointed as he grappled across to a different panel on the UFO and one of the heavies from the ground put all 3 crysalids down with a single, well-placed, rocket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yes, but I'll never consider it "my" XCOM like I did the original. Firaxis "simplified" it too much for my tastes.
    Out of all the original complaints I had about this game before it released, the only one I still care anything about is only having one base. Other than that, I feel that THIS is the TRUE remake/sequel/whatever you want to call it that we've been waiting for. All of the games in the UFO series were good, but they most certainly were NOT X-COM. And unfortunately, Firaxis ran with the 'one base' thing from those games, instead of going with the original idea.

So, out of curiosity, what exactly are you complaining about? I can't stop playing the friggin' game lol. I even called in sick today just so I could stay home and play. This game is absolutely amazing, and I'm seriously hoping they do a sequel or something...TFTD is my favorite X-COM game of all time (I love underwater stuff). I really hope that this game generates enough fans/money that they decide to continue on with it, and not just leave it as a one-time thing. Hell, I'd even fork over money for DLC to this game, anything from new armor graphics to more research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of all the original complaints I had about this game before it released, the only one I still care anything about is only having one base. Other than that, I feel that THIS is the TRUE remake/sequel/whatever you want to call it that we've been waiting for. All of the games in the UFO series were good, but they most certainly were NOT X-COM. And unfortunately, Firaxis ran with the 'one base' thing from those games, instead of going with the original idea.

So, out of curiosity, what exactly are you complaining about? I can't stop playing the friggin' game lol. I even called in sick today just so I could stay home and play. This game is absolutely amazing, and I'm seriously hoping they do a sequel or something...TFTD is my favorite X-COM game of all time (I love underwater stuff). I really hope that this game generates enough fans/money that they decide to continue on with it, and not just leave it as a one-time thing. Hell, I'd even fork over money for DLC to this game, anything from new armor graphics to more research.
    Pretty much most of what they changed. I actually like the "glam cam" and adding cover but I don't like them turning the grey market into sell only, unlimited ammo, limited ammo types, no STD's, six member team cap, one team cap, smaller maps, inventory "streamlining," and various other bits. I'll probably start a new campaign on classic difficulty because normal turned out to be way too easy.

I would like to say this game has been very good so far but that is not to say I like all the changes they made.

I like the big squads from before. I think you could have 12-14 guys in the initial drop ship which was nice. I do miss the extended inventory options. I remember having guys who were TERRIBLE shots so I just loaded him up with grenades but you can't do that here. I liked being able to pick up stuff off my fallen comrades like ammo (non issue), grenades, medipacks, etc. When missions pop up you can guess if it was going to be a night or day mission or if the mission was right on the cusp of day you could advance the time manually an hour and then come in so you had the mission in the day. I miss being able to use electroflares at night to illuminate areas you cannot see.

The changes I do like is the cover mechanic which was basically non existent before. The movement-fire system while simplified I find fairly intuitive (I however miss the variable movement rates for each member though). The interface with the council and countries of the world is overall better. I like not having to worry about ammo and weapons and gear can be created instantly. The ant-farm management is markedly superior to the old design.

I am sure there are other pros and cons I can think of. While I don't consider this game better than the old one it is a good game in its own right and certainly the best X-Com clone to come out thus far. I wouldn't mind if they did a sequel and touch up on some of the things to make some of the things like the original while keeping some of the good changes they have made.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    the cover mechanic which was basically non existent before
    Hmmm not sure about that. In the original game, crouching gave you a percentile chance against being hit IIRC. If you crouched in front of an object like a fence, the object would protect you (usually once, then that object would be destroyed, leaving you unprotected). So in a way, there was a sort of cover mechanic, or at least I used to always play like that.

On another subject, did you guys in the US get a hotfix patch? I had already finished pre-loading the game yesterday and tonight Steam started downloading something again. Hopefully it's bugfixes
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I'm just gonna put this out there. Until they fix the fucking UI lockups (this most recent patch did not) I DO NOT recommend playing an Ironman Mode game. If you get a UI lockup during a mission, you have absolutely no way to fix it. The only way to actually unlock the UI, if you don't have one of the HARD lockups, is to reload a game. Well, that's not possible in Ironman Mode, as I just found out >.> I can't even make it through the first mission, because at SOME point during the mission I get a UI lockup and have to quit the game in order to even play anymore. I'm started three Impossible Ironman Mode games so far, each time getting a UI lockup in the first mission, and having to start over. Guess I'm going to have to forgo the Ironman Mode + achievement for now.

And commenting on the patch, I haven't really noticed any changes to any of the bugs/glitches I know about. If anything, I think it's gotten WORSE. I'm having serious issues trying to place the mouse cursor somewhere and get a soldier to move where I want. The cursor either randomly moves to a higher or lower elevation, back behind a wall or something, or flat doesn't appear at all. I never had this problem pre-patch, though that's not saying it didn't exist. SHIVs are still buggy (see the official forums - there are sooo many complaints about SHIVs that I don't even bother to use them). They seemed to have taken all of the smaller, less important bugs and patched those, while all the ones that are causing their customers to pull their hair out are still blindingly obvious.

All that aside, I have to say the ending to this game is BEAST. I won't spoil anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the vid should've been longer...I have no idea what it should've had more of, but it just felt kind of short.

Also, anyone else think Dr. Vehlen is hot? :-P
    Last edited by endersblade; 2012-10-12 at 02:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Also, anyone else think Dr. Vehlen is hot? :-P
    I don't understand why she wears her hair like that, but I'd like to go to her lab and show those aliens how humans have a good time.

Also: Remember when you found the first 'alien entertainment device' and the engineer guy was like 'At least they aren't playing... Video Games!' I was cracking up.