Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

SWTOR Wins 4/6 Awards at the GDCO!

http://www.darthhater.com/

Every year during GDC Online, developers come together for the Game Developers Choice Online Awards. In this third annual award ceremony, awards spanned “live services, technology, game updates, online game design, and more.” After they tallied the votes, BioWare took home four out of its six nominations for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Game Developers Choice Online Awards

BEST NEW ONLINE GAME
    · Star Wars: The Old Republic (BioWare Austin)

BEST ONLINE TECHNOLOGY

BEST ONLINE VISUAL ARTS

BEST ONLINE GAME DESIGN

Congratulations to the team at BioWare Austin!
    http://www.gdconlineawards.com/

Pretty cool that the people who know games the best (the people that make them) recognized SWTOR so highly.

The awards that it did not win were Best Audio for an Online Game (D3 has better audio than Star Wars? Fuck that, no fucking way) and Online Innovation Award.

Go SWTOR!
    Last edited by iceberg265; 2012-10-11 at 03:40 PM.

Deleted
    It is cool that it got some recognition. Personally i did not really care that much for it (still i do not think its a bad game just not for me).
    Although i count 10 awards not 6:

1. Best Online Game Design
    2. Best Online Visual Arts
    3. Best Community Relations
    4. Best Online Technology
    5. Best Social Network Game
    6. Best Audio for an Online Game
    7. Best New Online Game
    8. Best Live Game
    9. Online Innovation Award
    10. Audience Award
    (not counting hall of fame as one)

But still they took alot which is very impressive.

4/6 that they were nominated for.

The answer here is obvious: game developers don't have the time to get to max level and get burned out with no endgame. The leveling experience is ultimately great.

Kidding. Probably, though.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Proving once and for all how low the standards of this reward show are, or who funds the convention. The only reward this game possibly earned is the best new "online game"(due to how terrible most new mmos are), assuming by online game they mean MMO and not every online enabled game on the market. I'm not even going to give them points for the pretty art, since it is essentially copy pasted from the existing IP.

For context about the blistering competition it faced: TOR was competing against CastleVille, DragonVale, Draw Something, and Rage Of Bahamut for best new online game, and against Glitch, RotMG, Dragonvale, and Woodland Heroes for best online game design. For visual arts, it beat out TERA, Empire & Allies, AoE Online, and Glitch, whereas for best online tech, the other nominees were Diablo III, Indiana Jones Adventure World, TERA, and Sims Social.

Puts things in a bit more perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    For context about the blistering competition it faced: TOR was competing against CastleVille, DragonVale, Draw Something, and Rage Of Bahamut for best new online game, and against Glitch, RotMG, Dragonvale, and Woodland Heroes for best online game design. For visual arts, it beat out TERA, Empire & Allies, AoE Online, and Glitch, whereas for best online tech, the other nominees were Diablo III, Indiana Jones Adventure World, TERA, and Sims Social.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz
    Proving once and for all how low the standards of this reward show are, or who funds the convention. The only reward this game possibly earned is the best new "online game"(due to how terrible most new mmos are), assuming by online game they mean MMO and not every online enabled game on the market. I'm not even going to give them points for the pretty art, since it is essentially copy pasted from the existing IP.
    Cool, you guys have proven that you will go out of your way to hate. Nice contribution. :thumbsup:

Congrats SWTOR on the awards! Loved the game from Beta and still loving it!

BEST NEW ONLINE GAME: No idea what the competition was and it really depends on what you are looking at, if end game wasn't taken in to account then I can see how they got it, at least without knowing the competition, but from an overall perspective I'm sure there was other games that where at the very least equally good.

BEST ONLINE TECHNOLOGY: Say what? Going by the criteria I just don't see it, This includes excellence in complexity of network infrastructure, persistent world coding, graphics technology, artificial intelligence, or any other elements., no transfers available resulting in more than half the servers being ghost towns within 2-4 months of launch, graphics isn't THAT good and lets fact it, AI is horrible on your average creature out in the world.

BEST ONLINE VISUAL ARTS: character and animation design, interface design, and 2D or 3D art creation and direction of all kinds., Interface design, really? I'll give them character animation though but the art it self isn't anything special, in fact as far as character and armor goes it's fairly limited even. Personally I'd say Tera beats it hands down in all aspects but it is a bit of a subjective category.

BEST ONLINE GAME DESIGN: Going by their criteria that seems largely based on the leveling experience I'd agree, as a whole it's not the greatest but I'm guessing the first play through questing experience scored them enough points to overshadow any other shortcomings.

In any case, congratulations to the team at BioWare Austin.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-10-11 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Cool, you guys have proven that you will go out of your way to hate. Nice contribution. :thumbsup:

Providing context isn't "hate".

It would be like me winning "best swimmer" against quadriplegics.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Makes a bit more sense then I guess, still think Tera beats it hands down in both categories it was in.

10+ Year Old Account

Hehe... Yeah, it is important to keep things in perspective. Again, TOR isn't a "bad" game per se. BioWare just made some design decisions that impaired the game's retention rates. Something very important for a game using a pay to play revenue model.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Makes a bit more sense then I guess, still think Tera beats it hands down in both categories it was in.
    Eh... Considering that Tera was out almost 2 years ago (In SK) I don't think it should even be in this competition.

It "came out this year" but it really didn't

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Eh... Considering that Tera was out almost 2 years ago (In SK) I don't think it should even be in this competition.

It "came out this year" but it really didn't
    And that matters how? It was in the competition hence should be given the same treatment as the rest, the fact that it's 2 years old could only be seen as a disadvantage when we get to Visual arts.

How about all the "but SWTOR isn't a 2005 game. It should automatically be better and more functional as than a 2005 game."

All these other games released around the same time as swtor and nominated for these rewards also weren't automatically better and more functional.

And that matters how? It was in the competition hence should be given the same treatment as the rest, the fact that it's 2 years old could only be seen as a disadvantage when we get to Visual arts.
    I was under the impression that this was a competition of games released in the past year.

Apparently it spans all the way to may of 2010. Which is odd to me.

because it didn't come out this year

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like the 8th most prestigious gaming award!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, anyways...the game was made beautifully as far as audio/video/questing. its just the endgame stuff where it fell short. imo.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm sorry, I love SWTOR, but I think whoever voted on these just felt bad for the game. TERA online should have won online design and Tech, considering that graphics and performance are 1 Million times better than SWTOR out of the gate and 100 Thousand times better than it is now. I love the way SWTOR looks, but TERA is the most refined visual MMO pre GW2 I've ever seen. It also ran like butter over hot corn.

Dragonvale should have won best online game, hands down......lol. But seriously, it is a fun time waster on an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    because it didn't come out this year
    Which again is irrelevant as the game was in the competition...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post

Edge just highlighted the competition, which is very weak, I doubt any of them comes even close to half the budget that star wars released with, saying its 'hate' is just a cop out. It did put these awards in to perspective.