Looking back on Powerpuff Girls

Every once in a while, I like to look back on some classic cartoons. Watching PPG again after a decade, and it certainly leaves a bad impression.

This cartoon was for kids? The levels of specific themes and violence is so unsettling for a children's cartoon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Every once in a while, I like to look back on some classic cartoons. Watching PPG again after a decade, and it certainly leaves a bad impression.

This cartoon was for kids? The levels of specific themes and violence is so unsettling for a children's cartoon.
    that's because your mind is no longer innocent as a child's is

Yep, I get this alot when I watch old 90's cartoons, you pick up on so much stuff that you didnt realize was there as a kid.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

That's how cartoons were back then... and the ones before that were even worse, if you were smart enough to catch it.. At least then it was only implied innuendo jokes.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    This looks pretty official, a new Powerpuff Girls cartoon is on the way.

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/powerpuf...e-not-released

All the former crew; I wonder if they will keep the same voices as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah u never notice some jokes

like in hey arnold *was a reddit post earlier*

"grandpa you have plenty of brain cells left"
    "not since wood stock"

also if u watch hotel transilvania made by some of the same ppl who did dexters lab, power puff girls and samuri jack. A lot of the same humor is used. I loved it.

Wow, been forever since I watched that one. I loved that professor dude or whatever his name was.

Deleted
    there's actually a perfectly fine explanation for most of these things. because it's often not the kid that decides what to watch, but the parent. stuff like spiked punch (character called Spike falls asleep in the punch) or the big lebowski in the My Little Pony cartoon are put in there so that the parent also has something to smile about. the child might be too young to understand it, but the parent surely will, if he is familiar with the reference.

similarly, many cartoons that aren't glorified gag reels like tom and jerry (and even then) have deeper storylines, allegories, references and sometimes even satires. most children don't get the jokes, but the parents likely will, which entices them to keep watching.

I suppose it depends on the episode. Overall looking back over them it was a pretty cool show.

Ren & Stimpy on the other hand, probably left some permanent damage. Even as a kid I knew something was wrong with that show.

The best kids shows you look back on and chuckle at jokes you didn't catch, rather than feel the urge to scrub yourself clean.

"some day we'll be as developed as you!"
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-10-11 at 08:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    there's actually a perfectly fine explanation for most of these things. because it's often not the kid that decides what to watch, but the parent. stuff like spiked punch (character called Spike falls asleep in the punch) or the big lebowski in the My Little Pony cartoon are put in there so that the parent also has something to smile about. the child might be too young to understand it, but the parent surely will, if he is familiar with the reference.

similarly, many cartoons that aren't glorified gag reels like tom and jerry (and even then) have deeper storylines, allegories, references and sometimes even satires. most children don't get the jokes, but the parents likely will, which entices them to keep watching.
    this pretty much sums it up :P back in the day most kids watched tv in the living room with their parents so they would throw in some stuff for the older people.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

hmmm well id say that i dont rly see the wrongs of the ppg's, whereas when i look at stuff like edd ed'n eddy i can see how its funny but also highly disturbing :P a show pretty much only going around trying to scam your friends for money with all sorts of cons and such.
    Also Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo and thoose, cow and chicken is simply disturbing when i look at it now, funny at times but mostly disturbing. Johnny bravo, im curious no feminist organisation have gone nuts over it before, sure the females fight back and he never gets it going with a relationship but it materialises them and then adds some after that too

Also, tom and jerry are the most fun cartoons EVER! ALL HAIL TOM AND JERRY! THE TRUE KINGS OF CARTOONS (imo)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Ren & Stimpy on the other hand, probably left some permanent damage. Even as a kid I knew something was wrong with that show.

"some day we'll be as developed as you!"
    Yeah, Ren & Stimpy was, is, and will always be messed up in my opinion.

As for that clip from the Powerpuff Girls, I think the best part is their reaction while the Girls are just destroying everyone.