Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    He has the right to bitch about it, though.
    Sure. But this is a perfect example of American society bending over backwards for the christian right. Pacifists don't get to keep their tax dollars from going to war. Environmentalists don't get to avoid tax money going to oil companies. But if you think God hates abortions you get to make sure there is zero chance your ridiculously small share of the national revenue isn't going to abortions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yeah, if we're going to start passing laws banning federal spending on something just because people don't want their tax dollars being spent on it, we're going to have to make a lot of changes to maintain consistency.
    We can call ourselves the United States of California in that case, since there will be dire need of revenue but the voter bloc refuses to vote to pay for anything.

By the way, I heard Obama promised Wisconsin residence new jobs in other, better states. Is that true? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    By the way, I heard Obama promised Wisconsin residence new jobs in other, better states. Is that true? :P
    ...I don't know of another state that makes cheese curds so well. I wouldn't move, if I lived there.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't heard anything about that, so I can't comment.

And yes, our dairy products are damn awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused on your stance and asked earlier, but maybe you missed it.

Are you against tax payer money AT ALL being used for abortions, or against federal funds?
    All, unless there's a good reason for it (rape, incest, threat to the mother's life, etc). That said, I'm still pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    ...I don't know of another state that makes cheese curds so well. I wouldn't move, if I lived there.
    I find it odd that the south is generally fatter than the north. I don't know why that is, but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    All, unless there's a good reason for it (rape, incest, threat to the mother's life, etc). That said, I'm still pro-choice.
    So what if you are on Birth Control but it does not work, and you can't currently care for a child? Is that a 'good reason' for a tax-payer funded abortion?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I find it odd that the south is generally fatter than the north. I don't know why that is, but it is.
    We use a lot of energy staying warm in the winter.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

We like butter and grease. And pork. LOTS of pork.
    Have you ever been to the MN state fair? Trust me, if you want meat n potatoes, you will get it in MN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Sure. But this is a perfect example of American society bending over backwards for the christian right. Pacifists don't get to keep their tax dollars from going to war. Environmentalists don't get to avoid tax money going to oil companies. But if you think God hates abortions you get to make sure there is zero chance your ridiculously small share of the national revenue isn't going to abortions.

We make all kinds of exceptions for religions/religious institutions all over the place. It's not just a Christian thing, as you seem to think. Ask a Muslim if they're in favor of abortions.

Last time I checked, Pacifism or Environmentalism wasn't a religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    We make all kinds of exceptions for religions/religious institutions all over the place. It's not just a Christian thing, as you seem to think. Ask a Muslim if they're in favor of abortions.

The way PETA carries on you'd be surprised.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So what if you are on Birth Control but it does not work, and you can't currently care for a child? Is that a 'good reason' for a tax-payer funded abortion?

No. /tenchar.

Let's be honest, they don't have the power the christian right does. If it was just the muslim population wanting the Hyde provisions they would never survive.

You don't see how someone with a moral or religious view against abortion would want to not pay for it?
    You yourself put up moral reasons as an argument against tax payer funded abortions. If I view war or pollution as immoral isn't it the same thing?
    No. /tenchar.
    This is incredibly impractical.

How many barbecue places do you have up there?

Here in Alabama, we have at least 4 barbecue restaurants on every block. Cheap, tasty, and totally unhealthy. Fuck the last part of that sentence.

EDIT - Never been to MN. Too damn cold.
    All over the place. I used to stop off at Rudolphs on the way home from work for a couple glasses of beer and a plate of ribs almost every day.

We also have the worlds biggest distributor of Jameson (in actual drinks; not bottles) at The Local. We should be a bunch of fat, drunk, fucks, but I don't know why we aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. /tenchar.
    The money saved on publicly funding abortions verus paying for foster care would be astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The money saved on publicly funding abortions verus paying for foster care would be astronomical.
    To say nothing of tertiary costs of unwanted pregnancy.

Have I mentioned butter and grease?

Honestly I don't know then. I figured barbecue was only big down here. We have contests every weekend all over the place just to see who cooks the best BBQ. Then eat it. Then do it again the next weekend.

I'd go the "we're all lazy and live off the government dole" but that wouldn't jive with the political climate down here, haha.
    Whereas we have the polar bear clubs, where you cut the ice off the top of a lake and jump in! (For charity).

We eat terrible, terrible food. Butter and Grease and Deep Frying is huge up here too. BBQ's every weekend in the summer, and sitting around watching tv/movies with your friends eating horrible food in the winter.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I view war or pollution as immoral isn't it the same thing?

If war were a state and not a federal issue, sure, but it's not.

Reality trumps principle, though.
    I always like to think so.
    If war were a state and not a federal issue, sure, but it's not.
    You're really doing your best to avoid the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have I mentioned butter and grease?

Honestly I don't know then. I figured barbecue was only big down here. We have contests every weekend all over the place just to see who cooks the best BBQ. Then eat it. Then do it again the next weekend.

I'd go the "we're all lazy and live off the government dole" but that wouldn't jive with the political climate down here, haha.

As someone who has spent lots of time in Texas and Minnesota, the BBQ up here doesn't even come close to the BBQ down south.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 01:35 AM ----------

You're really doing your best to avoid the point.

You mean you have a point?