Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fun statistics about LoL

I have no idea who put this together, nor do I have any clue how accurate the statistics are, but I found this posted on a Facebook page. Maybe some of you are skilled in fact-checking, if you care to do so. I thought that this was pretty amusing, whether it's accurate or not! (I apologize for how ridiculously large this is, but imageshack's thumbnail didn't work because of how ridiculously large it is)

Edit: Supposedly it's posted by Riot themselves, so color me embarrassed - I don't check the LoL news pages!

Click for full image.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-10-12 at 03:58 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Upload images with Imgur, it's faster, easy and the thumbnails are good.

Also, I don't know how Riot makes these statistics... And how much money they spend on them.

I don't know if it's accurate, but I doubt it is to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care if it's accurate or not, which I suspect it is, but the fact that 75 teemo's die every second made my day.

I woke up and was like ugh, class in a bit. But then I saw the teemo deathcount. Riot did one of these last year too.

I bet most of these statistics are twisted.

Well, I'm sure the statistics Riot provides for in game events [Teemo deaths/Pentakills/etc] are accurate. Almost ALL games online have the ability the track data very robustly. Can look at Riot's facebook page and so on for those stats. So they don't really come form Riot... 4,217,805 likes as of the this post.

It's the other stuff such as total hours played or concurrent users that is iffy vis-a-vis other games. But even that data from Blizzard or Activision is somewhat suspect too. Seems about as anecdotal as the next guy, really.

All the same, very neat to conceptualize League of Legends in this way. I keep flip flopping between League and DOTA2-- if I could just combine the elements of both I enjoy...

Pretty shotty icon desgin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    All the same, very neat to conceptualize League of Legends in this way. I keep flip flopping between League and DOTA2-- if I could just combine the elements of both I enjoy...
    I can't get into DOTA2 specifically because... I played DOTA All Stars back in the day, back when it was a WC3 map. And, frankly, it looks like DOTA2 is just a remake of that, with all the exact same mechanics. DOTA2, to me, is little more than finally pulling the map away from the aging WC3 game, and making it into it's own game... even though everything is the same as before. Basically, nothing more than a big fanservice.

I don't want to go back to All Stars, and I find LoL mechanics to be preferable to my tastes. I miss some of those old heroes (the old sand scorpion guy, the drow archer, techies, etc etc), but at the same time, LoL has a fuckton of fun champions of their own, and some of them even have similar mechanics/kits, while still being unique and different.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 10:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Upload images with Imgur, it's faster, easy and the thumbnails are good.
    Bah. I honestly prefer imageshack, but maybe that's me starting to become one of those stubborn old people. This is the only time I've ever had a problem with it. And even then, it turns out imgur can't do a "large thumbnail" (says image not available) but only a "small square" - basically just means imageshack is lacking a single specific feature.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I can't get into DOTA2 specifically because... I played DOTA All Stars back in the day, back when it was a WC3 map. And, frankly, it looks like DOTA2 is just a remake of that, with all the exact same mechanics. DOTA2, to me, is little more than finally pulling the map away from the aging WC3 game, and making it into it's own game... even though everything is the same as before. Basically, nothing more than a big fanservice.

I don't want to go back to All Stars, and I find LoL mechanics to be preferable to my tastes. I miss some of those old heroes (the old sand scorpion guy, the drow archer, techies, etc etc), but at the same time, LoL has a fuckton of fun champions of their own, and some of them even have similar mechanics/kits, while still being unique and different.
    Yea, that's basically what DOTA2 is all about really. No real argument from me. However, I didn't play DOTA:AS much at all- because Warcraft 3, which I dislike. Actually, I guess I don't really like anything set in the Warcraft universe.

The revamp of champions and so on in DOTA2 is just enough for me and the mechanics of DOTA are just superb. I think Riot are leagues [pun intended] ahead of other MOBA games in terms of clarity and tight design.

I enjoy both games for different reasons- kinda like Smite and Awesomenauts.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-12 at 04:06 PM.

Deleted
    Bah. I honestly prefer imageshack, but maybe that's me starting to become one of those stubborn old people. This is the only time I've ever had a problem with it. And even then, it turns out imgur can't do a "large thumbnail" (says image not available) but only a "small square" - basically just means imageshack is lacking a single specific feature.
    The only time I have problems with Imgur is when it's not uploading pictures from either my pc or web, rest is smooth and works just nice, but imageshack isn't bad, the one thing I dislike about it is the site's layout and it's just horrible the zoom in and zoom out, every time I click on it that shit always pops out an ad...

Also, some of these statistics are obviously made up, specially the "over 90% of players are males", I honestly think there's a lot of females playing LoL and not that many males.

One more thing that I think it's weird is, where did Riot get the "60% players are enrolled in or have completed some college". Throw facebook? Still, they don't have those many likes to be able to figure who is enrolled in college or finished it...

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I have problems with Imgur is when it's not uploading pictures from either my pc or web, rest is smooth and works just nice, but imageshack isn't bad, the one thing I dislike about it is the site's layout and it's just horrible the zoom in and zoom out, every time I click on it that shit always pops out an ad...

Also, some of these statistics are obviously made up, specially the "over 90% of players are males", I honestly think there's a lot of females playing LoL and not that many males.

One more thing that I think it's weird is, where did Riot get the "60% players are enrolled in or have completed some college". Throw facebook? Still, they don't have those many likes to be able to figure who is enrolled in college or finished it...
    Well yeah, some of the numbers are unlikely to be something they could verify. I've never gotten anything asking about my gender or college status at all, let alone related to LoL. It's fair to say I've liked their Facebook page, but I have everything set to private, so only through my profile pic and name could they know anything about me. So I'm wondering just how exactly they've come up with some of these statistics.

Number of total/active accounts is definitely something they have access to. As are things like number of Teemo deaths or how many hours per day are spent playing LoL. Or max number of concurrent users. But things like gender? Age? That's questionable.

Obviously, the specific statistic I care about is that LoL is more popular than WoW. There's even more daily active users in LoL than there are total active WoW subscriptions.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 04:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, that's basically what DOTA2 is all about really. No real argument from me. However, I didn't play DOTA:AS much at all- because Warcraft 3, which I dislike. Actually, I guess I don't really like anything set in the Warcraft universe.

The revamp of champions and so on in DOTA2 is just enough for me and the mechanics of DOTA are just superb. I think Riot are leagues [pun intended] ahead of other MOBA games in terms of clarity and tight design.
    Yeah, I can see that. The mechanics of the old DOTA:AS weren't bad, I've just found LoL mechanics to be more preferable, compared to my experiences with DOTA mechanics. I had a lot of fun with it, and if I had never played it, I probably would be significantly worse at LoL. (I'd like to think I'm good, but hey - I avoid rated games still, the way I've avoided WoW raiding for almost a year now)

(I especially dislike the way they handle stats. Strength giving both offensive damage and HP for Strength champs, Agility giving both offensive damage and crit (and dodge, and armor) for Agility champs, Int giving both offensive damage and mana for Int champs... it's too much overlap to keep things balanced, imo)

I'd like to think I made a pretty good Earthshaker or Sand King back in the day. Blink Dagger was fun on both champs. (that's another thing I like about League of Flashcraft btw - certain popular DOTA items aren't LoL items, but instead summoner spells. And then there's Recall)

(I've also always hated Aghanim's Scepter)
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-10-12 at 09:22 PM.

Deleted
    Well yeah, some of the numbers are unlikely to be something they could verify. I've never gotten anything asking about my gender or college status at all, let alone related to LoL. It's fair to say I've liked their Facebook page, but I have everything set to private, so only through my profile pic and name could they know anything about me. So I'm wondering just how exactly they've come up with some of these statistics.

Number of total/active accounts is definitely something they have access to. As are things like number of Teemo deaths or how many hours per day are spent playing LoL. Or max number of concurrent users. But things like gender? Age? That's questionable.

Obviously, the specific statistic I care about is that LoL is more popular than WoW. There's even more daily active users in LoL than there are total active WoW subscriptions.
    I too think it's questionable where they got the info on the male/female gender %, but to be honest, I think they could get that from the mail that your LoL account is subscribed(not sure if it's the right word) on or the account that belongs to a certain mail, and mails usually show the person's gender, right?

I'm not sure if it's possible to hide that from Riot, but I am not sure, so it's possible they got, atleast, some info from our mail.

Also, I wouldn't admire myself if LoL had more active people playing than WoW. I mean, it's kinda obvious why that happens, because LoL is a free game and a very casual one, while in WoW, you need to pay to be able to play and there's the whole grind mechanism that LoL doesn't have, not necessarily and certainly not mandatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I wouldn't admire myself if LoL had more active people playing than WoW. I mean, it's kinda obvious why that happens, because LoL is a free game and a very casual one, while in WoW, you need to pay to be able to play and there's the whole grind mechanism that LoL doesn't have, not necessarily and certainly not mandatory.
    Well yes, it is a contributor - that's part of my point. I've quit WoW since February, but I'd go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay a subscription, even though it would mean having to pay... what, $50 for the new expac?

Even with the grind mechanism - the grind in WoW isn't actually that bad... I could deal with that just fine. Starting the game from the very beginning of the expac actually does nothing to negate your ability (or inability) to join a good raiding guild. I started Cata with a fairly-decent raiding guild, and didn't end until after full-clearing 4.3, and thanks to roster problems, it completely went to shit right before I quit, with way too many bench-warmers.
    I wouldn't do a hardcore raiding guild again if I DID go back, however. I'd find some 10-man guild, and hope they have more casual hours - and hopefully find a group of skilled players who don't have terrible progression.

It's not so much a "ha, LoL is better than WoW" but so much a point about how the gaming community has shifted over the years. Free and "casual" is the "big" thing right now.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-10-12 at 09:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's put it this way: they've got over 4mil Facebook Likes. Even if only 25% of those show their profile, that's still a database of 1 million people showing gender. That's certainly enough to base your numbers on. And judging from how well people protect their privacy on Facebook (generally speaking: not), I'd wager 25% is a very conservative estimate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Let's put it this way: they've got over 4mil Facebook Likes. Even if only 25% of those show their profile, that's still a database of 1 million people showing gender. That's certainly enough to base your numbers on. And judging from how well people protect their privacy on Facebook (generally speaking: not), I'd wager 25% is a very conservative estimate.
    Statistically speaking, true. I also don't doubt that a majority of LoL gamers are male - the community is so acerbic (the honor system, I'll admit, has improved this somewhat), that even your average female gamer would be unwilling to play in it. My own girlfriend is a rare exception, as far as I'm concerned, but hell... I met her online anyways.

Deleted
    Well yes, it is a contributor - that's part of my point. I've quit WoW since February, but I'd go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay a subscription, even though it would mean having to pay... what, $50 for the new expac?

Even with the grind mechanism - the grind in WoW isn't actually that bad... I could deal with that just fine. Starting the game from the very beginning of the expac actually does nothing to negate your ability (or inability) to join a good raiding guild. I started Cata with a fairly-decent raiding guild, and didn't end until after full-clearing 4.3, and thanks to roster problems, it completely went to shit right before I quit, with way too many bench-warmers.
    I wouldn't do a hardcore raiding guild again if I DID go back, however. I'd find some 10-man guild, and hope they have more casual hours - and hopefully find a group of skilled players who don't have terrible progression.

It's not so much a "ha, LoL is better than WoW" but so much a point about how the gaming community has shifted over the years. Free and "casual" is the "big" thing right now.
    I also quit around February. Got bored of it. I would also go back now in a heartbeat too, but I won't because I have no money/job to sustain me to play WoW and even if I did, I think I wouldn't like to play again because I don't like to play WoW casually.

For many players, grind is a thing they hate, for me, it's not bad, actually grinding quests, or level up is what I love about WoW, since it gives me a lot of lore/info on the game, that I totally enjoy. Another reason I wouldn't go back is because WoW takes to much of my time, it would take a lot of time I spend in MMO-C and other places, and playing WoW casually for me is a big no since I like to raid, a lot, and my previous guild was semi hardcore(we clear everything on HC after 1-2months after being released), so yeah going back without being able to do these things is a big no.

I think that people shouldn't compare a game like LoL to WoW and vise versa. These two games are totally different, one is a MOBA, another is a MMO. I think both games are super great and very enjoyable and are possible to play casually, specially WoW, more than ever before.

And it's true, free and casual is the new thing now, but people that have played WoW or any game like WoW, won't, probably, mind "throwing" some money at the screen to be able to play the game they like and adore.

you missed:

Viewer bots on twitch: 150,000

Deleted
    not enough teemo deaths per second

Deleted
    I believe this chart is made by Riot themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I bet most of these statistics are twisted.
    I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the "Facebook likes compared to Gangnam Style" fact.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really cool and interesting chart, but some of the things they are comparing with...

I also was surprised at the lack of pentakills.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the "Facebook likes compared to Gangnam Style" fact.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really cool and interesting chart, but some of the things they are comparing with...

I also was surprised at the lack of pentakills.
    I kinda was too, but pentakills aren't exactly easy to get. Atleast not in SR.

In PG it's kinda easy if you have a champion that resets his abilities like Kata and Irelia, I already had 2 pentas with Kata in that map and 1 with Irelia, and I almost got one with Wukong, all this in 3 days.

So, I am going to assume that they are just referring to SR? Either that or I got extremely lucky. :0