15+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Rogue damage distribution.

What has happened here?

I'm PvPing as Ass. at the moment and I feel like I have zero burst.

White mh crits are hitting for more than 4cp envenoms? Mutilate doesn't even hurt anymore and rupture is ticking for 1k (not using it all that much, just something I noticed.)

I've been out of the game for a while before MoP and it feels like Blizzard have made a crap-load more of our damage come from passive abilities. I need some burst back in my life, I don't feel like a rogue anymore!

Please can we have our main cp generators hit a bit harder?
    Legendary Blogging - http://www.fugpugs.com/

Deleted
    Our output has gone from being a rotational cycle of damaging moves, to a set of moves that are mainly there to uphold the passive output coming from our white attacks. That is true for at least 2 of our specs.

- Assassinations rotation consists of an ability that mainly gives you energy, which you use to fire off an ability that increases poison proc-chances. You cycle through the rotation to gain the Envenom-buff. Not to actually use Envenom or Rupture.

- Combat's rotation is more of less the same. Keep Slice up to increase passive damage; Use Eviscerate to refresh Adrenaline Rush so you can increase passive damage even further, and more often.

- Sub is the odd-one out, but not by a large margin. The abilities themselves feel rather weak, and it seems like they've simply replaced the weakness and frequency of auto-attacks, with equally weak, infrequent special attacks. The spec does indeed rely on special damage more than its counter parts, but the damage itself is almost ENTIRELY rolled into Eviscerate, meaning anything you do apart from Eviscerates do next to no damage whatsoever.

In essence, over 50% of your damage is "supposed" to come from passive sources, and our rotations are just there to make sure that happens.
    Last edited by mmoc0d3e61e7f2; 2012-10-14 at 02:46 PM.

Assassination was never about burst damage.
    As Incineration explains, your abilities just enhance your poison distribution. Through faster attack speed, more poison procs and faster energy regeneration.

Don't be fooled though, Assassination may not have significant burst, but can provide much offensive pressure.
    Subtlety's arsenal of abilities allows for better burst set up, due to this, their damage in PvE also comes in phases of reasonable burst and low sustained damage.

I find the biggest problem with rogues in PvP atm their cooldowns being far to long. On its own the damage would have been no problem.
    But because of these long cooldowns, we no longer have capable control to compensate for it.

In the end, because of the nerfs to our cooldowns, we're in no position to apply any pressure from damage nor control.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Assassination was never about burst damage.
    What?

In TBC the burst was ridic. These days, having played all three specs in a raiding environment, it feels like combat actually has the most burst when you start stacking cooldowns with deep insight.
    Legendary Blogging - http://www.fugpugs.com/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuggan View Post
    What?

In TBC the burst was ridic. These days, having played all three specs in a raiding environment, it feels like combat actually has the most burst when you start stacking cooldowns with deep insight.
    To be fair, in TBC everyone was doing silly amounts of burst. But you are correct that TBC's model for Assassination was different. I'm very rusty when it comes to TBC things but Envenom was the burst 'cooldown' and removed all your Deadly Poison stacks correct?

After the change that Envenom doesn't consume poison stacks anymore it became a high pressure sustained damage spec. Vendetta reflects that change pretty well. It's not one giant burst cooldown, but it increases all your damage over a long period of time. That's how Assassination Rogues are right now, high damage all the time instead of stupid amounts of burst every once in a while.

PvE isn't much different either. Generally at the start of a fight my raid members are doing well over 200k* DPS while I'm sitting on my 120k*. Yet near the end of the fight, I'm crawling to the top, staying on the top and progressively gain more distance over those other high burst raiders.

*Bit of a guess, DPS isn't something I really pay attention to during fights. All I see are random non-yellow bars being well ahead of the lonely yellow bar.

Deleted
    Yeah, Envenom removed all stacks of deadly and mutilate had a positional requeriment, but hit quite hard.