Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Please explain why anyone would like CRZ

Sorry to start yet another thread about CRZ. I would post on the battlenet forums, but I cancelled both my accounts because I don't like paying to beta test. I am very confused why anyone would like cross realm zoning and would like to ask a few questions about it. (Aside from Real ID invites which are the only good feature of crz imo)

Blizzard states that CRZ is to let you "see more people." Also, people say that crz allows world pvp, which usually means lvl 90s attacking lvl 30s but whatever.

As to the first point, why would you want or need to see more people in the overworld of wow? They only represent competition for you, even players from your own faction. Do you go to the grocery store at peak hours hoping it will be super crowded? Do you choose the longest line to pay so the store "feels more alive?" Do you hope the post office has a super long line and is sold out of stamps because that makes doing your daily chores more challenging? Most people PLAY games to relax. They don’t think of them as being real or representing some desire to achieve things. I have my real life to work at. I played wow to have fun. In short, there is no advantage whatsoever to grouping in wow. In fact, grouping usually makes quests take longer and you don't get as much exp, gold, or items.

Blizzard REMOVED almost ALL group quests years ago and now they suddenly decide you need to group while leveling? They reduced the required exp to level and added heirlooms to make it faster. You out level a zone before you even finish all the quests in the zone now! Who cares if there's no other people in Desolace or Stonetalon? If they hope to give new players (and we all know they are a very small %) a better leveling experience, jamming zones with 5-10 times the players quests can support is not the way to do it. Finally, to anyone who trolls, "WoW is an MMO", yeah I know that. I have played off and on since open beta 2004. It was an MMO before CRZ, duh. I like socializing with my guild and RL friends. I do not like socializing with asshats from other realms who come to mine for the sole purpose of causing trouble.

Now, as to the PVP issues and people not being able to quest and level due to roving bands for max lvls camping areas like the dark portal. Many will reply, "PVP happened on a PVP server!" Yep, that is true, though unbalanced pvp like that is for the weak cowardly 90s who run to a zone phase when anyone their level shows up. My question is this, why did WPVP "die off" without CRZ? There was nothing stopping pvp on pvp servers before CRZ. Oh, I see, without all the new low level toons to gank and grief on other servers, world pvp wasn't "fun."

I also find it funny that most of the low population realms are pvp realms, yet pve realms have to suffer through crz just so max level cowards can warp around and kill people 30-40 levels below them without even worrying about help coming because with crz, who knows what server the help will end up on. World pvp died for a reason, it was pointless and took away from the pve experience. PVP has battlegrounds and arenas. The game didn't even have pvp at launch! It was added as an afterthought! To design "features" around it is absurd given that the vast majority of players roll on pve servers.

Ok, well that was my vent. Again, I actually followed through on my threat to quit, as did many in my guild. I think anyone who believes CRZ was introduced for the players is very naive. Clearly this is some sort of money saving scheme. It is not logical to introduce CRZ now after years of entirely antithetical changes to remove any need to group while leveling. I think if something is not done about CRZ and all the bugs, wow is going to lose millions of players when APs run out and into next year. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.

Personal opinion only, but I feel CRZ was Blizzard giving themselves something to point too when people complain about being on low-pop servers. Nothing more then a prop to say that they have done "something."
    Highly skilled sharpshooter, effective against air units. Can gain the Long Rifles upgrade.

PvPers like CRZ because there are more people to kill.
    PvEers don't like CRZ because they have to PvP more often, have to compete for resources, or both.
    I am a PvEer and I love CRZ because it is the first step in redefining the MMORPG without server boundaries.
    All general statements, of course.

inb4 CRZ saves Blizz money by reducing amount of required server infrastructure, which is the sole reason they implemented it.

It provides the illusion that the old world is not completely empty. If you like seeing people doing the same things as you or if you need a help with a tricky mob/quest and a guildie won't hoof it to you then CRZ might be seen as beneficial. Other than that it's complete crap.

Deleted
    CRZ is the first step into the direction of an "emulated sandbox" game as I'd call it. give blizzard time to fix the bugs and they will expand on it. I expect crossrealm guilds somewhere along the road, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cross Realm Zones are just the launching point for a new infrastructure technology for the game. The 'benefits' listed are entirely a matter of opinion as are people's problems with it like increased competition for resources or rare spawns.

Personally, I enjoy having company and seeing other players in a zone. As well, overly populated areas can be split up.

Treating CRZ's as some end product that justifies its existence by its benefits is besides the point though. It's the start of something else and therefore unlikely to go away no matter how many people complain about it. As to whether people are coming to your server or you are going to theirs, that's completely irrelevant. You're in a virtual zone that exists for all of those servers. It no more belongs to your realm than any other.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-10-14 at 09:51 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by siegemaster View Post
    Personal opinion only, but I feel CRZ was Blizzard giving themselves something to point too when people complain about being on low-pop servers. Nothing more then a prop to say that they have done "something."
    Yeah, I think that is part of it. Ironically, it's just made low pop servers worse by destroying their AH and allowing people to cross over and farm eggs or whatever to avoid competition. Which is also ironic since the pro-crz crowd always talks about how they love competition, yet cross over to low pop realms to avoid it.

Am I right in thinking CRZ is still turned off for Pandaria or did they change their minds on that?

I had a guy whisper that he "HATED" me because I was on his realm taking his herbs. I thought he was joking and a few minutes later he repeated himself after I took an herb in front of him. While there is competition, the spawn rate for herbs and whatnot has been drastically increased, even in Vanilla zones. I don't see competition in a certain zone as being an issue. Would I go to the grocery store at 6pm if they doubled the check-out lines and...well...the entire store? Sure.

Also, have you visited wowprogress? The top (and mostly populated) realms are PvP. How many PvE realms compared to PvP realms have a queue time?

I see CRZ as being a technology that will be used to combat problems that you saw in SWTOR: 40 realms open and most of them empty. Not just low pop, but empty. WoW likely won't be able to last another 5 years while running 200+ servers and I think they are planning ahead. It's just a virtualized zone of a virtual server. It's pretty clear why did they didn't implement CRZ years ago. It wasn't needed and there likely wasn't a budget/time to code it.

Did you really quit over CRZ? It's hardly noticeable in MoP zones and it's never going to impact you in your PvE zones (instances) which you seem slighted towards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    CRZ is the first step into the direction of an "emulated sandbox" game as I'd call it. give blizzard time to fix the bugs and they will expand on it. I expect crossrealm guilds somewhere along the road, too.
    Yeah, they have only had since May to fix things like PVE and PVP realms crossing, or dismounts, or lag while zone shifting or the countless other bugs. How much time should people allow a product to be broken while paying for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Because it's boring to never see anyone when leveling.

I'm not that fond of the idea of group quests, but the reasoning was that it's either something like Ring of Carnage, or a long quest line which did little but make people frustrated as people were on different parts in the chain. Sort of the same reason as to why regressive attunements were removed.

No, you don't really "need" others to quest, but why don't you. It's an option. It's an MMO. People are always part of it, wether they are essential or not.
    End game they are, and that will never go away.

Loving CRZ for making the world alive again.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Yeah, still off in Panda land, for now. Except for real id invites that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet Man View Post
    Sorry to start yet another thread about CRZ. I would post on the battlenet forums, but I cancelled both my accounts because I don't like paying to beta test.
    firstly. Beta test sorry what? what beta *eyes d3, sc2, wow* nope no beta, well HotS but twhat the hell are you doing here then?
    secondly. I'm a pve'r i love crz, might have to do with i'm playing on a roleplaying server so it's linked with all other roleplaying servers, so I meet more people who roleplay, simple.
    thirdly: pvp, not really bothered about it.
    and PvP has been in from the start..you need to understand what PvP means. Player versus Player. PvE=Player versus enviroment. check your facts before whining.

"I think anyone who belives CRZ was introduced for the players is very naive" well..that basicly means Everyone who thinks otherwise than me is an idiot.
    yeh mind bomb for you bud, EVERYONE has there own damn opinion live with it.
    p.s good ridance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Massively Multiplayer Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Because WoW is an MMO.
    I would love to see people in a massive multiplayer game, is that such a strange thing? =/
    But simply seeing people does nothing to benefit you. The game made it 8 years without CRZ. The price paid in bugs and terrible behavior due to no consequences is not worth seeing more people, at least not in my view.

tbh its only anecdotal opinion of mine but i honestly think CRZ is just a test bed for use in their new IP titan. Why not testbed out all these new functionality ideas in WoW where they can introduce early (beta) versions of the final iterative product that will eventually be in project Titan, and do them in WoW with millions of people to betatestbed it, while going with the double fold Public relations of improving the WoW experience at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    Massively Multiplayer Online
    As it was for 8 years without CRZ. Please don't troll the blizzard company spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet Man View Post
    But simply seeing people does nothing to benefit you. The game made it 8 years without CRZ. The price paid in bugs and terrible behavior due to no consequences is not worth seeing more people, at least not in my view.
    Since you are no longer a member of WoW, why should anyone care for your opinion?

'Made it 8 years', yes. With more populated vanilla areas, which CRZ now helps give the impression of again.

'Nothing to benefit you', really? Well if you have that attitude, I'm unsurprised you don't like it. Perhaps an offline RPG would better suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    firstly. Beta test sorry what? what beta *eyes d3, sc2, wow* nope no beta, well HotS but twhat the hell are you doing here then?
    It's a beta test because of the many many many many many bugs. MOP and CRZ were clearly released before they were ready.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please explain why anyone would like CRZ
    Because the most fun I've had in this game was with a group of other people.