Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should we blame the president or the people?

I watched part of the debate yesterday and wondered to myself, why do people blame the president for everything that goes bad instead of seeing that many of our issues are caused by the people? It seems to me like there is no personal responsibility anymore.

For example, the mortgage crisis. People blame the president and/or the banks. Shouldn't we however, blame the people that did not realize they could not afford the $500,000 mortgage? Yes, some people have lost jobs and their income but MANY people think they need 5,000sq ft and bought a house they cannot afford.

Then we have social welfare programs, where someone with 5 kids with 5 different mothers or fathers can go and get food stamps/rent paid/tuition/free health insurance etc...and keep having more kids. Again, where is the personal responsibility to not have children you cannot afford?

This president is keen on taking credit for positive things and passing blame on negative things.

That's his entire campaign...
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    This president is keen on taking credit for positive things and passing blame on negative things.

So is that like the Republicans who fault Obama for high unemployment rate but then credit the governors of states that have low unemployment?

Oh you mean he's like every other politician in existence?

LOL

That's every president ever.

The people are also the very same way.

or hers. but there's never been a female president

oh wait you're just a troll

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-17 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Oh you mean he's just like every other politician in existence?

LOL
    No other politician has ever gotten away with running a re-election blaming his predecessor for everything bad like this one.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    Shouldn't we however, blame the people that did not realize they could not afford the $500,000 mortgage? Yes, some people have lost jobs and their income but MANY people think they need 5,000sq ft and bought a house they cannot afford.
    I bought a home in '04. (only 1500 sqft mind you.) I was stupid, and young. It was my fault. I also take full responsibility, and will not foreclosing like many others have. I'm underwater, I need a larger home for my family. I'm going to lose years of work and savings to do it, but I'm going to meet my obligation to the banks that credited me the money to make the loan in the first place. At least enough that when I do sell, I break even.

Part of the reason the boat I am in (and many others are in) is due to these people who are foreclosing in such large numbers. It's driving the home values down. The question is how did all these people who could not afford the loans in the first place (myself included) get approved.
    Last edited by GreatSageCorban; 2012-10-17 at 06:18 PM.

No other politician has ever gotten away with running a re-election blaming his predecessor for everything bad like this one.
    Oh so you mean like Bush?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I think it's pretty obvious...
    -People wanted the country to go to war but didn't want their taxes raised (to pay for the war).
    -People bitch about medicare frauds but old men still get sexual enhancements covered by it.
    -People complain about how money is being sent to china but still pay more for brand goods produced in china than for american manufactured goods.
    -People complain about oil prices yet they still drive huge SUVs or pick-up trucks.

The president always gets blamed when the country isn't doing to well. It doesn't even matter if he/she has nothing to do with why it's so bad. That's the way it's always been and is probably never going to change.

Lots of people look to blame someone/thing else for their failure instead of owning up and accepting they made a bad decision.

-People complain about oil prices yet they still drive huge SUVs or pick-up trucks.
    I don't own a SUV, but tell me the non gas guzzler that you can transport a family of 5+ in, and I'm sure it will sell well.

The same reason people blame the football coach and not the players. 1 person is easier to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The same reason people blame the football coach and not the players. 1 person is easier to fire.
    In this case the coach wants a new contract and has had a dismal record, but is still blaming the coach he replaced 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    The president always gets blamed when the country isn't doing to well. It doesn't even matter if he/she has nothing to do with why it's so bad. That's the way it's always been and is probably never going to change.

Lots of people look to blame someone/thing else for their failure instead of owning up and accepting they made a bad decision.
    It's sort of cliche, but it's almost as if they want the president to be a dictator.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post
    I don't own a SUV, but tell me the non gas guzzler that you can transport a family of 5+ in, and I'm sure it will sell well.
    You can transport 5 people in a regular family car, if you squeeze one person into the middle of the back seat. My family frequently did so when we had to take our grandmother somewhere...

In fact several cars now have an extra safty belt for that very purpose.

If you want to carry a shit ton of stuff in your trunk that's a different story.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-10-17 at 06:30 PM.

In this case the coach wants a new contract and has had a dismal record, but is still blaming the coach he replaced 4 years ago.
    Yeah, blame the coach when half his players won't even play. Your "logic" is showing again.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Necessity is one thing, but driving big cars just for the sake of driving big cars then blaming the president for the gas prices is not smart...

My Hyundai Elantra can transport 5 people.

Maybe people need to stop having so many kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Necessity is one thing, but driving big cars just for the sake of driving big cars then blaming the president for the gas prices is not smart...
    Gas prices could be combated on several fronts. I actually think it's something someone on the Conservative side and the Liberal side can agree on. We need to approach it on several fronts. Increase our home oil production, and 'invest' in newer technology for more efficient engines, hybrids, or electric cars. Probably the most efficient will end up being the 'next generation' of batteries, combo'd with Tesla Motor type battery cars, and Nuclear Plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    My Hyundai Elantra can transport 5 people.

Maybe people need to stop having so many kids.
    3 kids isn't huge. Now, try putting in 2 baby seats in that thing, rear facing, and having someone actually fit in either of the front seats. Now take a 1000 mile vacation somewhere with both parents plastered to the dash board, and one kid smashed between his to crying siblings in the armored carriers. (Not to mention all the luggage)
    Last edited by GreatSageCorban; 2012-10-17 at 06:36 PM.